my paint is faded bad, i need help with you zaino/wax kings - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
you cant see me

my paint is faded bad, i need help with you zaino/wax kings

i cant afford a paint job, well maaco maybe but im not gunna kill the car with crap that will peel off on the highway.

its original 1979 ford paint, was blue, now it looks more like baby blue and some spots look black, kinda like rust but not rust. anway, is there any wax/polish/compound i can use that will bring the color back a little till the spring when hopefully i can paint it?? what have you used and what technique?

i was gunna try this or maybe this and use the blue wax??? and buff the hell outta it anyone use these before?

or would something like a full zaino job be better? i dont think fords in 1979 came with clear coats, but im prolly wrong. anyhelp is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 12:50 PM
Time Served

you are probably just going to take off paint if you try to buff on it.... just start prepping for paint....
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 12:51 PM

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 12:58 PM
Custom Title

Zaino won't do shit for that job. The paint has to already be in good shape for Zaino to do it's magic.
Some buffing compound stuff may help, but I've never had a paint job that bad that I wanted to look better.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
you cant see me

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLP007
never saw that forum, but no one posts in there anyway, you should be nicer to fellow fairmont owners.
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 01:05 PM Thread Starter
you cant see me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades
Zaino won't do shit for that job. The paint has to already be in good shape for Zaino to do it's magic.
Some buffing compound stuff may help, but I've never had a paint job that bad that I wanted to look better.
you are the guy i wanted to reply, i figured zaino wouldnt help. but if i can try one of the above compouds in the pics and make it look 10% better for 5.99 out of my pocket, im interested.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 03:15 PM Thread Starter
you cant see me

this forum sux, all the replies i got were from the back porch, whats the point of having it here if now one comes in. its not like members dont detail their cars on this site, its just nobody uses this damn forum. how ghey!
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 04:43 PM
Lifer

Go to automagic.com they are based out of Dallas and let them tell you what to use... They have real good products..
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 04:50 PM
Time Served

If the paint is still all there, (Not peeling and clearcoat stil intact) It could be made to look better by buffing with a high speed buffer and compound, then use a cleaner polish, and then wax. If you live anywhere near the Saginaw area, I would be happy to take a look at it and try to send you in the right direction as far as what products to use. I have all the products, we could try a spot on the car and see what happens.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-28-2004, 08:04 PM
Lifer

I would need to take a look at it, but I might be able to bring some magic back to it.
post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 07:03 AM Thread Starter
you cant see me

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanB
Steve,

I don't think there's anything you can do about some of that "patina" you've got going on! The paint is probably pretty thin on that car, and obviously faded down to the primer on a couple spots on the roof/trunk. I'd spend the time polishing that '95 you've got before I sank a bunch of time/effort/$$/etc into polishing that Fairmont! I think Bryan Sharer tried polishing his '78 before he had it all painted, and it turned out to be a feutile effort at best.
thats what im afraid of, i was just gunna try and see if there was some bottle i could buy and bust my ass on it and make a slight difference before i primer it.. oh well.

beej im sure you will see it soon enough. i want to race the kia
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 09:57 AM
[x] original checkboxer

Quote:
Originally Posted by slo95.0
thats what im afraid of, i was just gunna try and see if there was some bottle i could buy and bust my ass on it and make a slight difference before i primer it.. oh well.

beej im sure you will see it soon enough. i want to race the kia
Whatever you put on that car, you are just going to have to remove before you primer it!! Don't make it harder on yourself!
post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 10:06 AM
Lifer

Nothing you can do about it, but save up for a new paint job.

At this point, it is dry, scaly dust that is loosely held together. Think of it like a piece of coral, where the porous holes are where all the binding chemicals have evaporated out. All that will happen is you will fill those holes with wax that you will never get out, until you buff all the way through. Car will look like hammered shit.

Just a guess, the dark spots you mention are where someone else has tried to revive the paint before you and burned it with a buffer.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 10:44 AM
Lifer

black primer, and some pinstrip flames. Some steal wheels with et streets and we are in bidness
post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-29-2004, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
you cant see me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beej
black primer, and some pinstrip flames. Some steal wheels with et streets and we are in bidness
thats what i had in mind, but with some welds. it will be the new blue's mobile.
post #16 of 16 (permalink) Old 09-30-2004, 05:26 PM
Boneless

Talking

I'd do her. OOps wrong forum, the visualization of flat black, flames, and welds tricked my mind for a moment,

NEEDED:

Almost There.....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement