Engine Washing - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 04:23 AM Thread Starter
duh...duh....duh

Engine Washing

Hey All,
When washing down your engines, is there anything to look out for? I have an '03 GT and have not cleaned an engine since I was 16 and had a crappy Celica. Basically, I'd spray it down with degreaser and then washing it with high pressure soapy water and then plain water. I'd just watch the distributer so it did not get soaked.

Basically, my '03's motor needs a washing and I just want to make sure I don't kill her in the process. Also, I have no fancy crap under there to worry about. Other then the chrome CAI stuff. Any tips or tricks?

Take care,
Ceyko
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 05:05 AM
Foxbody King

i washed mine and had a bad miss afterwards. i had to replace the plugs to fix it.

This was in my 2001 gt

2003 cobra DSG
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 05:12 AM Thread Starter
duh...duh....duh

man, that sucks and is why I figured I'd ask around before going wild on my engine. Did you use a high pressure wash or like a garden hose? Did it happen immediately after the wash or did it take a little before the miss showed up?

Take care,
Ceyko

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-16-2004, 05:40 AM
Foxbody King

at the car wash on low pressure, didnt notice the miss till the next day

2003 cobra DSG
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 07:47 AM
R.L.T.W.

simple cost effective way I learned how. Get the engine kinda warm to aid in the simple green lifting the grease gradually. Use Non-Diluted Simple Green (@ 3/4 standard sprayer bottle) sprayed liberally throughout the engine bay - minus directly in the alternator and use lightly around the spark plugs (don't over do it to the point of pooling around the spark plug holes-just to be safe).

Let it sit approx 5 minutes until is noticible that the grease and road grime is suspended by the simple green. Use a hose or low power car wash setting to gently wash away the buildup. Repeat as necessary (never cleaned or old as hell cars might need 2 + times) and wipe the excess/non moving grime off with a towel.

Park facing the sun and let the engine run to evaporate any left over water standing (maybe 10 minutes). When it dries about 90% of the way, mist it with some tire shine spray/foam. It'll soak into the plastic leaving a shine that is nearly identical to a car fresh off of the lot.

Got it off of a similar thread on the corral.net, has worked great for me.

“Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property…. Horrid mischief would ensue were the law- abiding deprived of use of them”

Thomas Paine
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 08:00 AM Thread Starter
duh...duh....duh

Hey, that is pretty clever. I appreciate the idea.

Ceyko
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 09:11 AM
R.L.T.W.

no problem after the first time you get it fully clean, every month thereafter it usually only needs one simple green/soft rinse/tire shine spray down if at all.

“Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property…. Horrid mischief would ensue were the law- abiding deprived of use of them”

Thomas Paine
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 07:42 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 11B2V_Mike
simple cost effective way I learned how. Get the engine kinda warm to aid in the simple green lifting the grease gradually. Use Non-Diluted Simple Green (@ 3/4 standard sprayer bottle) sprayed liberally throughout the engine bay - minus directly in the alternator and use lightly around the spark plugs (don't over do it to the point of pooling around the spark plug holes-just to be safe).

Let it sit approx 5 minutes until is noticible that the grease and road grime is suspended by the simple green. Use a hose or low power car wash setting to gently wash away the buildup. Repeat as necessary (never cleaned or old as hell cars might need 2 + times) and wipe the excess/non moving grime off with a towel.

Park facing the sun and let the engine run to evaporate any left over water standing (maybe 10 minutes). When it dries about 90% of the way, mist it with some tire shine spray/foam. It'll soak into the plastic leaving a shine that is nearly identical to a car fresh off of the lot.

Got it off of a similar thread on the corral.net, has worked great for me.

CAn you get the simple green dtuff at autozone, or where? Thanks

2000 Stang Mods: DFWstangs quater window sticker
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-19-2004, 08:35 PM
v2004 rebooted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazuko

Pretty much any Autoparts store, probably Wal MArt too.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 09:18 AM
Time Served

Diesel Works Really Really Good, It Helps Get All The Grease Off And Shines It Up A Bit, Then Just Preassure Wash It Of, And If Your Car Starts Missing All You Have To Do Is To Wait For The Car To Dry Off... :d
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-20-2004, 06:37 PM
R.L.T.W.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bazuko
yep any place should have it, I get mine at Sam's where it's a gallon for about 8 bucks. Takes about 1/4 gallon the first time (3-4 spray downs) to do an engine that's very dirty, then half of a sprayer bottle every time thereafter. Hell of alot cheaper compared to getting an engine detailed at a shop (@65 + a pop). Plus anytime I get my car serviced, lots of compliments about how clean and brand new my car looks (1999 GT).

Thomas Paine
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 07:35 PM
He told me to burn things

I would recomend the engine detailer kit from Oreilly's. It comes in 2 cans and is about $6. spray the cleaner on a warm engine and let it sit about 10 min. rinse it off w/ a hose. wipe any excess water away and then spray the detailer. looks brand new and it is very easy.

2005 Nissan Titan
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 05:06 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

I use the Castrol cleaner, comes in a purple jug (also the cleaner itself is purple. At Walmart) it is even better than the Simple Green. just be careful not to let it sit on your pain(over spray) because it is alot stronger that most cleaners.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-24-2004, 09:01 PM
Lifer

easy-off oven cleaner on very dirty engines.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 08:41 PM
Lifer

you have to be careful and dilute with that castrol stuff it will take the paint off , but simple green works real good
post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 12:39 PM
Time Served

washing an engine

I detail cars for grand prairie ford, and the best thing to do, is to cover your distributor w/ a towel or something, and spray down the whole engine w/ degreaser, then pressure wash it w/ a soap, the w/ regular water. then, take tire shine, and spray it all over the engine...this will make the interior egine paint shiny, and also make it look like you have replaced all of the hoses in ur car.

2003 Dodge Hemi 3.92 gears, Hypertech, Mandrel Bent Magnaflow exhaust, Volant Cold Air.

1993 Fox Body 4 Eye. 5.0 Conversion, Work in Progress.

My lugnuts require more torque than your honda makes

Im not sure which is first. Pigs fly, or this bankruptcy on wheels runs.
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 05:26 PM
fuckcanada

hey you work at GP ford??
My brother works there, he runs that quality express or something like that, his name is julio..

post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 08:54 PM
Time Served

GP ford

thats awesome...i want to work in the quality express, but they close at 7, and i dont get out of school till 3, so i wouldnt be getting any hours. i talked to julio the other day

2003 Dodge Hemi 3.92 gears, Hypertech, Mandrel Bent Magnaflow exhaust, Volant Cold Air.

1993 Fox Body 4 Eye. 5.0 Conversion, Work in Progress.

My lugnuts require more torque than your honda makes

Im not sure which is first. Pigs fly, or this bankruptcy on wheels runs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement