Buffer/Polisher recommendations? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

Buffer/Polisher recommendations?

I'm in the market for a buffer/polisher. Is there recommended brands to get? And where's a good place to get one? Can I get any brand polisher like a Mikita, Dewalt, Snap-On or Milwakee? Or is it crucial that I get a specific polisher, like one specific for detailing like a Meguiar's buffer/polisher? Does the RPM speed matter? I've seen a few in a local pawn shop, but I didn't know what was a good one and which wasn't.

Also, I want to deep clean and buff my Cobra. I've been recommended 3m cleaners and 3m pads. Where can I get those from and what 3m cleaner should I get?

Wow, that's a lot of questions?! Any help is appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 12:28 PM
Newb

ever use one before? if not, i suggest you get some practice before tackling your cobra. If a newb, then the dual action polisher by porter cable is a good bet. it guaruntees no burns or something like that. If you know what your doin, or want a rotary high-speed buffer, get a makita or dewalt the higher the RPM the easier it is to burn your paint, so be careful.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 12:31 PM
Full tilt boogie !!

^^^what he said, be very careful not to burn it...it'll look worse than it does now if that happens....I have a friend of mine that owns a body shop......he'll prolly sand and buff it for around 150 or so, if your interstred.......let me know

Steve

**SKAGG NASTY** Just another 9 second street car.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 12:53 PM
Time Served

i've been detailing for 9 years. I would buy a black & decker variable speed. WOULD recommend a lot of practice before using one. I loaned mine to a neighbor to buff his boat and it seriously just about ate him alive.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-11-2004, 10:01 PM
duh...duh....duh

me, stupid. How does one practice? Would it just be a matter of not having it rotate too fast and not staying in one spot? Is that easier said then done. Needless to say, I too am in the market and am a newb too.

Does a buffer provide a better shine then doing it by hand? wax on, wax off.

Ceyko
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 10:35 AM
The Rise Of COBRA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasCobra
I'm in the market for a buffer/polisher. Is there recommended brands to get? And where's a good place to get one? Can I get any brand polisher like a Mikita, Dewalt, Snap-On or Milwakee? Or is it crucial that I get a specific polisher, like one specific for detailing like a Meguiar's buffer/polisher? Does the RPM speed matter? I've seen a few in a local pawn shop, but I didn't know what was a good one and which wasn't.

Also, I want to deep clean and buff my Cobra. I've been recommended 3m cleaners and 3m pads. Where can I get those from and what 3m cleaner should I get?

Wow, that's a lot of questions?! Any help is appreciated.

I think Makita or Dewalt are the Professional versions and if you want to spend that kind of money you can... I got a Hitachi which is a copy of the Makita and I love it, so I would say Makita because I like the option of having a stick handle or loop handle for different angles... If you're looking for the least expensive then try bidding on ebay for a used Makita, Dewalt, or Porter Cable because there are places in Dallas that rebuild those... Remember no more than 40% of what it cost new...plus shipping must be under $15

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 11:47 PM
IGOSLO

well what you want to look for------in order to buff a car properly, you will want to buff your car between 1,500-2,000 rpms. anything from a 7''-10'' pad, you will need polishing compound, NOT rubbing compound, when you use polishing compound you need to use either a terry bonnet, foam pad, or yellow wool. for rubbing compound you need to use white wool only. you can buy all of this and a buffer from sherwyn williams automotive paints or english color or any automotive paint store, and they can help you with the buffer.
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 11:53 PM
The Rise Of COBRA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by austin
well what you want to look for------in order to buff a car properly, you will want to buff your car between 1,500-2,000 rpms. anything from a 7''-10'' pad, you will need polishing compound, NOT rubbing compound, when you use polishing compound you need to use either a terry bonnet, foam pad, or yellow wool. for rubbing compound you need to use white wool only. you can buy all of this and a buffer from sherwyn williams automotive paints or english color or any automotive paint store, and they can help you with the buffer.

Dude, what you want to look for I've used terry cloth bonnets or yellow wool pads and all they do is leave light scratches or swirls... Stick with the foam 3m pads and get either a Makita or Dewalt buffer with variable speeds for polishing compounds use 3m products...

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 02:20 PM
IGOSLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin
Dude, what you want to look for I've used terry cloth bonnets or yellow wool pads and all they do is leave light scratches or swirls... Stick with the foam 3m pads and get either a Makita or Dewalt buffer with variable speeds for polishing compounds use 3m products...
i used to work for a paint shop, i worked at a hardware store that dealt mainly with automotive hardware and paints. if you used a yellow wool pad or a terry bonnet and it scratched your car....you sir are an idiot! go up to an automotive paint supply and ask them. ask a body shop. i said use a FOAM pad, or Yellow WOOL pad, or a terry bonnet, if it left scratches you did not clean your car like you were supposed to, or you did not follow INSTRUCTIONS, or you just plain flat out did not do it right.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 03:49 PM
KJ94GT

I've got a Makita polisher. It works wonders for using rubbing compound or polishing. It's variable speed, but i normally set it on 2 or 3 which is like 700 and 1000RPM respectively. i haven't needed it to spin any faster yet. I still use a standard orbital buffer for waxing.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 06:28 PM
The Rise Of COBRA!

Quote:
i used to work for a paint shop, i worked at a hardware store that dealt mainly with automotive hardware and paints. if you used a yellow wool pad or a terry bonnet and it scratched your car....you sir are an idiot! go up to an automotive paint supply and ask them. ask a body shop. i said use a FOAM pad, or Yellow WOOL pad, or a terry bonnet, if it left scratches you did not clean your car like you were supposed to, or you did not follow INSTRUCTIONS, or you just plain flat out did not do it right.
Lick Balls Earl Shiesty... You don't know what you're talking about... YOU said used to work at a paint shop...Now I know why...

Anyways the main point of this post was which buffer to go with... I'd say Makita or Dewalt and you can get them off ebay at a decent price new or used... Plus if it ever stops working, you can all have them rebuilt locally...

Last edited by Cobra Commander; 09-13-2004 at 06:38 PM.
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 10:56 PM
IGOSLO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaolin
Lick Balls Earl Shiesty... You don't know what you're talking about... YOU said used to work at a paint shop...Now I know why...

Anyways the main point of this post was which buffer to go with... I'd say Makita or Dewalt and you can get them off ebay at a decent price new or used... Plus if it ever stops working, you can all have them rebuilt locally...
how does that have anything to do with what i wrote. i simply said what he needs to know about getting a good buffer, what he needs to go along with it, and why?....... and then you came along went along like some jackass writing stupid stuff about my post, the post was not for you, you can take your buffer and leave me the hell alone and go buff the swirls out of your f'ed up attitude, i was not talking to you and WTF YOU said used to work at a paint shop...Now I know why.......... now i know why you dont paint cars, and why you would not know anything about working at a paint store, or the training they put you through. once again the post was not for you and shweryn williams has a makita variable speed buffer on clearance right now for about $80. they also have some off brand that was $45. i saw when i was in there buying paint.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 12:30 AM
The Rise Of COBRA!

Quote:
how does that have anything to do with what i wrote. i simply said what he needs to know about getting a good buffer, what he needs to go along with it, and why?....... and then you came along went along like some jackass writing stupid stuff about my post, the post was not for you, you can take your buffer and leave me the hell alone and go buff the swirls out of your f'ed up attitude, i was not talking to you and WTF YOU said used to work at a paint shop...Now I know why.......... now i know why you dont paint cars, and why you would not know anything about working at a paint store, or the training they put you through. once again the post was not for you and shweryn williams has a makita variable speed buffer on clearance right now for about $80. they also have some off brand that was $45. i saw when i was in there buying paint.

You know what you're the one calling me an idiot because I disagreed with your application. You assume that I didn't have a clean finish... As if I don't know how to clean a car. You know what you must not have a dark colored car because you don't know what those terry cloth bonnets, and buffing pads do to your finish. You must be an orbital buffer man...ha ha... your application would be good if you were getting out "orange peel", or buffing out oxidation or dull/fading with an orbital buffer... But this application was for getting out swirls and light scratches... It takes the high speed Makita...This can be done with any variable high speed buffer, 3m velcro backing pad and 3m sponge. You are right about using the low speed on the speed dial of your high speed buffer. Using the 3m perfect II and a 3m hand glaze to finish it out. This works very well on dark paints that show more as opposed to a light color paint. You know as well as I do that lighter paints cover a lot more imperfections than dark paints... Yet you're the expert and I'm the IDIOT... I didn't call you an idiot, yet I just disagreed with you... Check yourself because you need to go have some counseling about your attitude. Alright Mr. Maaco... since you worked at a paint shop, I guess you're the expert here on this section of the board and I should never question you... Later DUDE... So sorry Master Austin-san!!! So Sorry...

Last edited by Cobra Commander; 09-14-2004 at 12:54 AM.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 12:52 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

I bought a cheap Ryobi 6" orbital from Home Depot for about $20. Works pretty good. I still remove by hand.

Chuck
2001 Black Bullitt (For Sale)
2009 Black JK Unlimited X, M6, 35's
www.imboc.com
Rob (Tweakd) Memorial 3/13/05
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-14-2004, 09:22 PM
look at em go

I gotta decent chicago electric buffer from harbor freight for $50. the pads that came with it were a joke, so I went to english color and picked up a nice wool pad. either way, it works fine for me, the price was reasonable ($70 when everything was said and done) and Im definately pleased with the results.
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 11:40 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

how 2

dewalt is the best, I have owned a detail shop 4 10 yrs,u better get some assistance before trying it yourself. Check 2 c if there is an automagic dealer
in your area, they have great detailing products, pads waxs swirl removers ect.
Depending on the paint condition, if u want 2 do it right 1st clay bar the car,it removes paint defects,and gives u a smooth surface 2 work with.Next buy a
(depending on paint condition) product made from mequires called body scrub
used with your high speed buffer.Next look at paint,if swirls appear,use a swirl
remover, great product liquid ebony, used with high speed buffer.Next buy a product from mequires #26 paste wax works great,good luck if done right can
take a few hours.
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-18-2004, 11:42 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Orbitals suck,I would rather remove by hand, thats also why they r only 20ct.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement