Riddle?? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
WFO Team Kicks Ass!!!

Riddle??

3 guys decide they want a hotel room and it is $30.
Each guy gives $10, leave their luggage to be brung up later and go to their room. The man at the desk remembers that the room was only $25 and gives the boy who is taking the luggage up 5 $1 bills and asks him to return it to the men. The boy is thinking on the way up, there are 3 guys and $5, there is no way to split it evenly, so he puts $2 in his pocket. He gives the guys the $3 back.

So now the 3 guys have paid $9 each.
$9x3=$27
and the boy has $2,
for a total of $29.

Where is the other dollar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 09:03 AM
Lifer

where...
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 09:14 AM
Blue5spd's a titty baby

That is just twisted math. If the bell boy keeps $2, that means $28 has been paid by the 3 men, but if they each got a buck back after paying $10...

or what is the answer? this thing is messing with my mind.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 09:34 AM
insert something aqui

a

he gives them back the dollar so they can give him a tip but has already kept 2 just incase they were cheap

1991 lx 5.0

lil ol 302

Back In The Jackstand Racing Crew!
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 09:41 AM
Time Served

The hotel owner.

$25/3 = 8.33 each actual cost

Heaven or Hell? It's your choice.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2003, 11:16 PM
Time Served

The room was $25, the boy kept $2, that equals a total investment of $27. The men have $3 total given back to them. That equals $30. Am I correct?
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 06:38 AM Thread Starter
WFO Team Kicks Ass!!!

Well if ya figure it that way yes, but the question was how come they spent $9 each time 3 is $27, then plus the 2. To be honest with you this is one of those riddles i have known for years but has no answer, it is just a messed up math question. LOL. Just to play with your mind.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 07:38 AM
Time Served

Quote:
Originally posted by lxlaw
Well if ya figure it that way yes, but the question was how come they spent $9 each time 3 is $27, then plus the 2. To be honest with you this is one of those riddles i have known for years but has no answer, it is just a messed up math question. LOL. Just to play with your mind.
I think that I am right. It is the only logical answer that I can think of. Anyone else?
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 08:49 AM
insert something aqui

Quote:
Originally posted by Gixxer1k
The room was $25, the boy kept $2, that equals a total investment of $27. The men have $3 total given back to them. That equals $30. Am I correct?
i believe this is the correct answer

1991 lx 5.0

lil ol 302

Back In The Jackstand Racing Crew!
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 12:49 PM Thread Starter
WFO Team Kicks Ass!!!

Well you are right by figuring it like that, that is the only way i could rationize it also, but the teaser is trying to get them to figure it by using the $9x3 +2. But you did it the same way we have. Guess it is right.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 01:09 PM
yes, jluv

Quote:
Originally posted by lxlaw
Well you are right by figuring it like that, that is the only way i could rationize it also, but the teaser is trying to get them to figure it by using the $9x3 +2. But you did it the same way we have. Guess it is right.

It is right.

I saw this one long ago. It sounds tough, but it is really that simple.

The thing that throws it off is the end question. Why is there not $30? Well, forget about the $30. That number was thrown out the window when the owner realized the room was really $25. It is no longer correct to assume that anything should equal $30.

Forget the room was ever $30 in the first place. They paid ten each. They each got $1 back. That means they paid $9 each. Well, that's $27. The room was $25, so the bell boy keeps the $2 change.

Or even forget that they got a dollar back. Let's just say they started out at $9 each. They paid for the $25 room, which leaves $2 for the bell boy.

Again, the problem, and catch to this riddle is that you come in at the end and ask where the other dollar is. What other dollar? There isn't one. You trick the mind into remembering the $30 number, but that number is completely void and insignificant. The figuring is all based on how much money exchanged hands, and how much the room costs. The $30 was nothing but a simple mistake, and doesn't belong in the equation anymore.

I hope that makes sense. I think I've explained it enough.
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 01:56 PM
Blue5spd's a titty baby

Quote:
Originally posted by jluv

Again, the problem, and catch to this riddle is that you come in at the end and ask where the other dollar is. What other dollar? There isn't one. You trick the mind into remembering the $30 number, but that number is completely void and insignificant. The figuring is all based on how much money exchanged hands, and how much the room costs. The $30 was nothing but a simple mistake, and doesn't belong in the equation anymore.

I hope that makes sense. I think I've explained it enough.
Yes, that does make sense but, it is hard to get past the fact each man paid $10. 3 men each paying 10 = 30 Friggin riddle.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-14-2003, 03:32 PM
Golf anyone?

25 room + 3 refund + 2 bell boy = 30 case solved.

or

9 bucks x 3 people = 27 bucks.... 8.33/person went to the room and .63/person went to the bell boy. Since nine was the total amount spent and not ten the total no longer has to be 30. It has to be 27.

The nine includes the tip to the bell boy. The adding of the 2 to 27 to get 29 is incorrect since the money is part of the original 27 already. In other words, the riddle adds it twice.

I know it's already been said but I was on a roll.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-16-2003, 02:26 AM
Scared s**tless

its really simple. they paid $10 a piece. technically, they should recieve $1.66 each in change.

the bellboy effectively eliminates $.66 of each man's money, leaving $1 a person. the price of the room is $25. $25 + ($1 x 3) + (.$66666 x 3) = $30.

the "well, now they have paid $9 a person, so it shoud equal $27" is bullshit. they DID pay $27 bucks... and the bellboy kept $2. making the room total $25.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-22-2003, 03:52 AM
Saint's heart sinner skin

you guys are thinking way too hard about this...you got the mathematical answer to "where is the other dollar?" because there is no extra dollar...and it's making you make an oversight of THE FUCKING BELL BOY STOLE 2 DOLLARS. it wasn't a tip, the little bastard stole it, plain and simple!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement