PS2 OR PS2 SLIMLINE

• Original is Better

Votes: 10 58.8%
  • Slimline works Best

Votes: 7 41.2%

Ps2 Vs. Ps2 Slimline?

759 views 27 replies 9 participants last post by  KOZMO 
#1 ·
Other than the obvious size difference is there really anything different among the two systems? Due to space limitations, I'm thinking of selling my old system. It's never given me any problems so I'm reluctant to get rid of it.

#3 ·
Skidonenko said:
un what somes to mind is you cant stick a hd inside the slim and the slim comes with the network adapter built in

Josh
The HD is only good for the Final Fantasy games though, right? I'm thinking this will be somewhat portable until the new PS3 comes out.

#4 ·
Get the slimline, less moving parts, newest version of the PS2 bios and OS, plus it's so much better for portability (hauling my old PS2 is annoying as hell). The hard drive really isn't worth anything and network adapter really only works for a few games. Get the slimline and wait for all the goodies in the PS3

#5 ·
stangcrazy said:
Get the slimline, less moving parts, newest version of the PS2 bios and OS, plus it's so much better for portability (hauling my old PS2 is annoying as hell). The hard drive really isn't worth anything and network adapter really only works for a few games. Get the slimline and wait for all the goodies in the PS3
Guess it's just a matter of seeing how that pop up ps1 type door is put together and overall quality. It's amazing how different they are in size. Guess worse case I get one and have to replace it on 2006 with the PS3. Man I hope they fix the load times!

#6 ·
you are working so much you dont have time to play.. so stop worrying about it..lol

#7 ·
slowimport96 said:
you are working so much you dont have time to play.. so stop worrying about it..lol
Lol. I fixed that. I moved it downstairs so I can kick some GT3 butt when I get home. I'm hoping this weekend will change for the better. I'm ready to do some motorcycle riding. My convertible and bike are starting to look like art work just sitting there so long.

#9 ·
They are slightly different. Mostly what has already been mentioned, HD space + network adapter. I have a dvd burner so find a HD fairly worthless. The new PS2 is 10x less likely to break due to age with less moving parts. Plus, it looks 10x sweeter.

#10 ·
The new PS2's power supply is external which is the reason its so much smaller, its like that big power supply you have when you plug up a laptop or a LCD monitor.

And having a harddrive is a HUGE advantage, you can rip games from cd's and play them off the hard drive which results in pretty much no load time between scenes and game play. Playing from a 4x dvd reader vs a 8.9ms average hard drive is really a massive difference, you can store about 30 games on a 60GB drive.

#11 ·
AbecX said:
The new PS2's power supply is external which is the reason its so much smaller, its like that big power supply you have when you plug up a laptop or a LCD monitor.

And having a harddrive is a HUGE advantage, you can rip games from cd's and play them off the hard drive which results in pretty much no load time between scenes and game play. Playing from a 4x dvd reader vs a 8.9ms average hard drive is really a massive difference, you can store about 30 games on a 60GB drive.
Are you talking about the mod chip on the PS2? Wouldn't that still work with the slim version as well? I didn't think the HD was useful for anything other than a few games. I know Sony had talked about using Linux and adding a HD, but they seem to feel that the future is in online gaming so they're not going to have on on the PS3. It would be nice if they had a HD so that you could store your games, etc there.

#12 ·
pacerunner44 said:
Are you talking about the mod chip on the PS2? Wouldn't that still work with the slim version as well? I didn't think the HD was useful for anything other than a few games. I know Sony had talked about using Linux and adding a HD, but they seem to feel that the future is in online gaming so they're not going to have on on the PS3. It would be nice if they had a HD so that you could store your games, etc there.
No, you dont need a mod chip. All you do is get a network adapater and a drive that fits the network adapter connections ( http://www.hdadvance.com/hd_advance_compatibility.htm ). Then you get the hdadvance software ( http://www.hdadvance.com/index.htm ), and you can rip games to your hard drive.

#13 ·
AbecX said:
No, you dont need a mod chip. All you do is get a network adapater and a drive that fits the network adapter connections ( http://www.hdadvance.com/hd_advance_compatibility.htm ). Then you get the hdadvance software ( http://www.hdadvance.com/index.htm ), and you can rip games to your hard drive.
Cool, I didn't even know that you could do that. I'm definately going to read up on this. I'd love to get rid of those long load times. Do you have this setup? I'm fairly technical, but wonder how complex a setup this is?

#14 ·
I'm waiting on my software to get here. Its not hard, you plug a drive to the network adapter, and then put the cd in, tell it to copy game, then put the game in, wait about 30 minutes while it copies 1 - 2 gigs of data and your done.

#15 ·
AbecX said:
I'm waiting on my software to get here. Its not hard, you plug a drive to the network adapter, and then put the cd in, tell it to copy game, then put the game in, wait about 30 minutes while it copies 1 - 2 gigs of data and your done.
I was looking and the prices are reasonable. Just a matter of finding an external HDD that is compatible. Thanks for the information Abecx.

#16 ·
Skidonenko said:
un what somes to mind is you cant stick a hd inside the slim and the slim comes with the network adapter built in

Josh
You dont put the HDD on the inside of the PS2 nor the NA.

The HD is only good for the Final Fantasy games though, right? I'm thinking this will be somewhat portable until the new PS3 comes out.
The HDD is for more than Final Fantasy... Not much more however there are a few new Maps for Socom 2 online.

IMO I would get the older PS2 if you are in the market for one... just get it used and save almost 60 bucks or get some extra Hardware/Software.

#17 ·
KOZMO said:
You dont put the HDD on the inside of the PS2 nor the NA.

The HDD is for more than Final Fantasy... Not much more however there are a few new Maps for Socom 2 online.

IMO I would get the older PS2 if you are in the market for one... just get it used and save almost 60 bucks or get some extra Hardware/Software.
The harddrive plugs up to the network adapter on a ps2 and goes inside the case, at least on the old style.

#18 ·
Holy shit. I just got the software and hard drive installed ( 80gb 7200rpm 8mb cache Maxtor ), and this shit is fast. There is no load between GTA:SA maps. There is no load between levels in DBZ 3. It has put a whole new value in my PS2, its like a new machine.

#19 ·
AbecX said:
Holy shit. I just got the software and hard drive installed ( 80gb 7200rpm 8mb cache Maxtor ), and this shit is fast. There is no load between GTA:SA maps. There is no load between levels in DBZ 3. It has put a whole new value in my PS2, its like a new machine.
What all did it take? Does the HDD fit inside the PS2? What model Maxtor did you get? I don't have the $ right now, but want to get everything when I do. Game play any better?

#20 ·
pacerunner44 said:
What all did it take? Does the HDD fit inside the PS2? What model Maxtor did you get? I don't have the $ right now, but want to get everything when I do. Game play any better?
I've already answered all these questions.

#21 ·
AbecX said:
I've already answered all these questions.
Sorry overlooked the post about it fitting inside the case. Guess I was wondering what model Maxtor HDD you got since I know it worked with yours. Reading the posts hdadvance site indicated some HDD required modifying the network adapter which I didn't want to do. Glad that you got it up and running. Imagine the decreased load times give a whole new aspect to the system.

#22 ·
Any maxtor will work, seagate and wd have fitment issues.

#23 ·
AbecX said:
The harddrive plugs up to the network adapter on a ps2 and goes inside the case, at least on the old style.
I got one, and the NA connects externally. Dont really know about the HDD

#24 ·
KOZMO said:
I got one, and the NA connects externally. Dont really know about the HDD
Thats not a sony network adapter, that must be one of the third party ones.

Another downside to the ps2 slim, it wont support hard drives at all ( unless its usb ), and Gran Turismo will not support online because of this.

#25 ·
AbecX said:
Thats not a sony network adapter, that must be one of the third party ones.

Another downside to the ps2 slim, it wont support hard drives at all ( unless its usb ), and Gran Turismo will not support online because of this.
Negative. Its Sony... only thing I buy.

#26 ·
KOZMO said:
Negative. Its Sony... only thing I buy.
If it connects externally then its a usb device, if it connects internally then its the sony adapater. Perhaps you should get your terminalogy correct before you go around confusing people.

Attachments

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.