DFW Mustang Forums banner

What is a real benefit of OC'ing your Processor

319 views 9 replies 7 participants last post by  Osiris 
#1 ·
I always hear about people saying that they've overclocked their cpu. But in all honesty, I don't understand the huge gain. Does it really make a noticable difference? Is it worth the heating issues that always come with the overclocking?

#2 ·
Some cpu's ( like intel ) are under clocked anyway, and you can get a good 400mhz increase just by bumping the cpu. Thinking of it as someone tuning their car would, is bumping the timing up to 14*'s worth the 30 extra rwhp vs the longevity of the motor from increased heat?

#3 ·
Getting something for nothing.

All processors come from the line. They are screeen to check for performance and binned. Usually you can push the frequency limits of a CPU with more cpu voltage.

Basically, I bought an AMD2600+ mobile cpu ($89) and over clocked it past a AMD3200 desktop ($180).

#5 ·
read up more on overclocking. Some cpu's are more overclocking friendly. Also its usually done with a homebuilt pc. Most major system boards wont allow such adjustments.

Your cpu has a bus speed and a clock mulitiplier. Usually you adjust one or the other and use voltage increases to get it stable.

I've got my wife on an intel bx board with a celeron 366 running at 550 mhz for several years now.

#6 ·
If your computer says, compaq, dell, gateway, emachines, forget it.

GG, you having a pentium II 300, isn't worth it. Time to upgrade. If you want to a do-it-yourself computer. I can get in the right directions might even help you assemble it, depending on where you are at.

If you built a new computer, based on your PII 300, your computer experience would go from :confused: -> :eek:

#7 · (Edited)
There was a day when I was all about trying to squeeze every ounce of performance that I could out of a CPU. I finally got tired of unexplained blue screens, boot failures, and general instability, not to mention the pain in the rear having to pull the cover off the PC every time. I think most folks would agree.

These days reliability and uptime is a higher priority for me than shaving a few milliseconds off my boot up and launch times.

It depends on what your priorities are. ;)

#8 ·
TexasDevilDog said:
If your computer says, compaq, dell, gateway, emachines, forget it.

GG, you having a pentium II 300, isn't worth it. Time to upgrade. If you want to a do-it-yourself computer. I can get in the right directions might even help you assemble it, depending on where you are at.

If you built a new computer, based on your PII 300, your computer experience would go from :confused: -> :eek:
Yeah, I was gonna build me one for the experience I guess but didn't have much time. I recently bought a Dell Dimension with a 2.4GHz and 512 RAM and it was a huge difference...especially with broadband. I still need to think about replacing my Compaq but my computer interest is slowly diminishing(Help Desk burnout). I may take you up on that offer with what to buy and stuff.

#9 ·
well, i was going as far as i could with a couple of my older computers, and my buddy's and i got some pretty decent clocks.

the difference in performance is night and day.

here is an example, when the P4c's first came out, me and a buddy of mine both got ours

me, 3.0c, stable as a rock a 3.4, then motherboard failure. Abit is-7
got a DFI infinity 875p, clocked great, another 100mhz, and even better performance, but the raid controller sucked, and after a couple weeks, the ethernet adapter went bad. my raid performance was lower than most people's standard IDE. Highpoint btw, not my favorite raid controller.
MSI 865 board, didn't clock well, just didn't work with my setup, so i got an Asus p4p800, didn't clock as well as the DFI, but hasn't given me a lick of problems since i bought it, and the HDD perform like they are supposed to.

my friend, 2.4, MSI 875p, 275fsb for a LONG time, 3.3ghz, very stable, then got some upgraded cooling, went to 300fsb. that's 3.6 ghz, a 50% overclock, for 8 months, no problems, now he has to try to boot his computer twice, everytime.

it actually ran at 3.8ghz for a short period of time on air cooling.

moral of the story, my computer, at stock 3.0 will do anything i ask of it, that's why i stopped overclocking.

if your computer isnt doing what you want, then by all means, overclock a little, but beware, because sometimes, it Does have consequences.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.