DFW Mustang Forums banner

installed xp now cd drives don't work

233 views 6 replies 4 participants last post by  kangol 
#1 ·
Just as the title says, i installed xp (previously had 98 se) now my cdrw drive and dvd drives do not work.

Everything shows to be in perfect working order but they won't read ANY disk.

Any ideas?

#4 ·
Did you format/delete all your data off your hard drive, then, put the xp cd in and install it?

or

did you just put the XP cd in the drive and install XP 'over top' your windows 98?

In either case, what kind of CD drive do you have (make/model); I find it hard to believe its not supported. Could it be disconnected some how inside your box?

#5 · (Edited)
ScottJ said:
Did you format/delete all your data off your hard drive, then, put the xp cd in and install it?

or

did you just put the XP cd in the drive and install XP 'over top' your windows 98?

In either case, what kind of CD drive do you have (make/model); I find it hard to believe its not supported. Could it be disconnected some how inside your box?
What I am thinking is that when it was put over 98 auto detect got skipped of skipped over the drives for some reason... Maybe try putting the XP cd in your CD rom and and reboot your computer...when it boots off the CD there will be an option to repair an existing installation, try that, if that doesn't work try calling microsoft, believe it or not they have really good customer service and someone else has probally been in your same position. Be sure to keep them on the line while you try what ever they suggest to do, so if it doesn't work or you run into problems you don't have to call back and start over with someone else...

Good luck

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.