DFW Mustang Forums banner

Who bought the Passion Today?

747 views 18 replies 9 participants last post by  MoonDog 
#1 ·
I reserved a copy back in June and picked it up today. :cool: Anyone else gonna pick it up?

#8 ·
trey85stang said:
I will pick up a copy.. my wife wants to send it to her mother-in-law... would it be wrong to rip it?? or should i buy two??? :confused:
It's wrong to rip any DVD.

I did pick it up last night, along with the Collector Edition Tombstone.

I watched Passion last night.

A few questions regarding it for Passion experts... is there is some place I can read the historical context for these things? I don't want to get into a discussion of what, since I don't want to spoil things. But, I would assume there is a website that provides some factual basis for things.

Not Jesus in general, but specifically the movie. I want to see how much has historical basis and how much was Gibson's "creative license".

#9 ·
The Bible. lol. Most of the movie directly reflected the four gospels (Matt, Mark, Luke, John). I wanted to prepare myself before the movie came out, so I went and bought 4 or 5 books that discussed the death of Jesus. I wanted a bit of a refresher before I saw the movie. I think it helped. One of them I am just now getting to is called "The Murder of Jesus" by John MacArthur. Another good read is "The Day Christ Died". Hope this hleps out.

God Bless
Robby

edit: I know you said not Jesus specifically, but these books also go into the whole atmosphere at the time.

#10 ·
89 5OH HATCH said:
The Bible. lol. Most of the movie directly reflected the four gospels (Matt, Mark, Luke, John). I wanted to prepare myself before the movie came out, so I went and bought 4 or 5 books that discussed the death of Jesus. I wanted a bit of a refresher before I saw the movie. I think it helped. One of them I am just now getting to is called "The Murder of Jesus" by John MacArthur. Another good read is "The Day Christ Died". Hope this hleps out.

God Bless
Robby

edit: I know you said not Jesus specifically, but these books also go into the whole atmosphere at the time.
two things that I saw for sure not biblical (not in the Bible) was
1. Satan with the Baby scene and at the end when Jesus dies
2. The crows pecking the un repentant criminal's eyes out

#11 ·
I believe the baby was there strictly as sybolism. I have had several different people give me there interpretation of what it meant. I have heard that as innocent as somthing may seem, it can still be corrupt. Another is Satan is "birthing" new evil into the world all the time. The crow thing, I know I have read. I am saerching for it now, and will post up if I find it.
What about Jesus' little joke about how to eat catching on? I thought that was brillant.

#12 ·
89 5OH HATCH said:

God Bless
Robby

There seems to be alot of stretching in the movie. For example, Pontus Pilate was a brutal person. In the movie, the bad guys (number 1 bad guy was Caiphas) were the Jews. Pilate was a dictator that constantly used crucifixion for control. In the movie he is portrayed as somebody just trying to do the right thing.

The actual amount of the torture of Jesus doesn't come from the bible, I understand Gibson used another source for that information. I want to say I read somewhere he used some nun's visions from the 19th century to construct the toture scenes. That the instructions to the makeup artist were passages out of her manuscripts.

#14 ·
01WhiteCobra said:
There seems to be alot of stretching in the movie. For example, Pontus Pilate was a brutal person. In the movie, the bad guys (number 1 bad guy was Caiphas) were the Jews. Pilate was a dictator that constantly used crucifixion for control. In the movie he is portrayed as somebody just trying to do the right thing.

The actual amount of the torture of Jesus doesn't come from the bible, I understand Gibson used another source for that information. I want to say I read somewhere he used some nun's visions from the 19th century to construct the toture scenes. That the instructions to the makeup artist were passages out of her manuscripts.
I'm gonna disagree. I did not think the Jews were portrayed as the "Bad Guys". Now Caiaphas and some of the other Pharisee's were portrayed as bad, but they are done the same in the Bible. And Pilate still ordered Jesus death. I think out of them all, the Roman soldiers are portrayed as the most evil. They joke and laugh while they relentlessly beat Jesus.

I will also disagree that the amount of torture of Jesus doesn't come out of the Bible.

Isaiah 52:14,
Just as there were many who were appalled at him--his appearance was so disfigured beyond that of any man and his form marred beyond human likeness.

However, Mel did say that he also got inspired because of the book by Catherine Emmerich called The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ. Here is a little info:

What motivated Mel Gibson to make "The Passion of The Christ"? One of the reasons was this book that he accidentally stumbled upon; it planted a seed in his mind and finally played a large role in motivating him to make the film. While "The Passion of The Christ" is based on the Gospels of the Bible, this book played an instrumental role in Mel Gibson's motivation to make his new and stunning masterpiece.

"The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ", by Anne Catherine Emmerich, is faithful to the Bible story of the Passion and death of Jesus and is edifying and inspiring; plus, it is surprising and heart-rending. It will melt a heart of stone. Includes a short biography of Emmerich. A great book for the whole family!

Anne Catherine Emmerich was a nun that lived in Germany between 1774 to 1824. "The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ" contains visions and reflections of Anne Catherine Emmerich concerning the Last Supper, the Agony in the Garden, the Arrest, the Scourging , the Crucifixion and the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. It recounts the incredible horrendous sufferings undergone by our Saviour in His superhumanly heroic act of Redemption. The book begins with a biography of Anne Catherine Emmerich, and then contains her reflections on The Passion of Jesus. This book conveys the a lasting impression of the terrible Agony of Our Lord, of His infinite love for us that motivated His Agony, and how His Passion and Death were brought on by each person's sins.

#15 ·
breadfan35 said:
However, Mel did say that he also got inspired because of the book by Catherine Emmerich called The Dolorous Passion of Our Lord Jesus Christ.
I am surprised more people did not know this. Here is your answer Eric. There is indeed alot of symbolism in the movie, some that is biblical some that is historical and some that is neither.

As for the torture, the bible says that he was basicly beaten beyond recognition. So since I could still recognize that is was Jesus, IMO, the gaurds were a little lenient.

Buyers get "passionate" about Christ!
Washington | September 02, 2004 2:24:56 PM IST

Buyers turned up in millions to grab their copies of the DVD and VHS' of Mel Gibson's "The Passion of the Christ" as they went on sale in markets on Tuesday.

According to E-Online, Fox Home Entertainment has claimed that it sold 4.1 million copies in its first day on store shelves, exceeding its projections by 20 percent.

Fox said that the average consumer was buying multiple copies of the video, even though it contained no bonus material.

"It almost appears there's a strong segment of the market that wants to own this in the same way that they want to own the Bible," the report quoted Scott Hettrick, editor-in-chief of trade magazine DVD Exclusive, as saying.

He said that the DVD could sell upwards of 18 million copies and generate approximately 400 million dollar revenue, putting it on par with Spider-Man 2 and the "Lord of the Rings" series. (ANI)

#16 ·
The thing I wondered about is, if he was really beaten that bad how is it they gambled for his seamless robe. It didn't look like it was worth much, with all the blood. I believe it was Roman custom to strip their prisoners naked during the punishments for further humiliation.

#17 ·
72Comet said:
The thing I wondered about is, if he was really beaten that bad how is it they gambled for his seamless robe. It didn't look like it was worth much, with all the blood. I believe it was Roman custom to strip their prisoners naked during the punishments for further humiliation.
Luke 23:11 And Herod with his men of war set him at nought, and mocked him, and arrayed him in a gorgeous robe, and sent him again to Pilate.

This is what they were casting lots for. It was a robe fit for a king given to Him by a king, therefore making it very expensive.

#18 ·
Right, but that was before the flogging. Casting lots was done at the cross. Stripped for the flogging, then re-robed? It had to have been worn to the cross, then removed. Crucifiction was done naked. The Roman guards seemed like drunken low lifes, so an exspensive blood soaked robe wouldn't have bothered them.

#19 ·
72Comet said:
The Roman guards seemed like drunken low lifes, so an exspensive blood soaked robe wouldn't have bothered them.
Why, because the movie portrayed them as such? I bet alot of them were very educated sober men.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.