Starting my new workout this week. Tell me if you see any holes. - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 8,717
Starting my new workout this week. Tell me if you see any holes.

Monday-chest, bi-ceps. Run 3 miles. abbs

Tuesday-back ,triceps, run 3 miles, abbs

wednesday-shoulders and legs, run 3 miles, abbs

thureday-abbs, run 3 miles

Friday-chest and Bi-ceps , run 3 miles, abbs

Saturday-Rest

Sunday- Run 3 miles.



I say three miles of running, but I do 9.5-10 minute miles. So I guess its jogging. 30 minutes of cardio a day.

Not looking to add a whole lot of mass. I'm trying to cut up nice, and keep what muscle I've built, hopefully building a little bit more.
P.O.S._Dubyuharex is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 12:54 PM
Hired Hand
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 36,166
You are gonna pre exhaust both your bi's and tri's that way. When doing the compound chest exercises (basically anything but flys) you are using alot of the tricep as well, so they will be partially sore when you hit them the next day. Just the opposite will happen with bis, you'll exhaust them on Monday and won't have anything left when they are needed to do your back exercises the next day. I'd recommend doing tri's after they have been warmed up with the chest exercises and save bis for back day. then you'll have atleast a day of rest for the tri's until they are needed again for shoulder day.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Big A is offline  
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 8,717
Quote:
Originally posted by Got Boost?
You are gonna pre exhaust both your bi's and tri's that way. When doing the compound chest exercises (basically anything but flys) you are using alot of the tricep as well, so they will be partially sore when you hit them the next day. Just the opposite will happen with bis, you'll exhaust them on Monday and won't have anything left when they are needed to do your back exercises the next day. I'd recommend doing tri's after they have been warmed up with the chest exercises and save bis for back day. then you'll have atleast a day of rest for the tri's until they are needed again for shoulder day.
So I should switch tri-ceps and bi-ceps?
P.O.S._Dubyuharex is offline  
 
post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 01:54 PM
Hired Hand
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 36,166
That would be my recommendation, or swap sholder/leg day with Back/tri day to give a day of rest. If you've got the time and want to have a day to really work your legs do what I call a "push/pull" routine. Do all the pushing exercises (chest, tris, shoulders) one day and then the pulling exercises the next (lats, middle back, bis). Day three is for legs/calves.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Big A is offline  
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 02:21 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 8,717
Quote:
Originally posted by Got Boost?
That would be my recommendation, or swap sholder/leg day with Back/tri day to give a day of rest. If you've got the time and want to have a day to really work your legs do what I call a "push/pull" routine. Do all the pushing exercises (chest, tris, shoulders) one day and then the pulling exercises the next (lats, middle back, bis). Day three is for legs/calves.
Then a day of rest and start over again?
P.O.S._Dubyuharex is offline  
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 02:38 PM
Hired Hand
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 36,166
Quote:
Originally posted by P.O.S._Dubyuharex
Then a day of rest and start over again?
You can do that, but three days in a row is too much for me personally. I prefer two days on one day off. You can't look at it as Monday="push" because of the uneven number of days in the week, but trust me, if you push yourself hard enough you will want that day off.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Big A is offline  
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 02:43 PM
P.I.M.P.
 
Head Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,868
Just curious... my workout currently is more of a full body workout, I do 3 sets of 10-12 reps hitting all the major muscle groups (bis, tris, chest, shoulders, upper/lower legs, back, etc) with 30 seconds rest btw each set and a min rest btw each part. I sometimes hit the same muscle more then once (ie reverse preachers curl / dips / bench etc) is this doing more dmg then good? Should I try and switch to a piece by piece workout setup? Also, other then squats, leg curls and kicks, jumping rope and calf raises are there any other good workouts to build leg muscle? my upper legs are still big from soccer but I never really developed good calves like I wanted. Thanks
Head Hunter is offline  
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 02:44 PM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 8,717
Quote:
Originally posted by Got Boost?
You can do that, but three days in a row is too much for me personally. I prefer two days on one day off. You can't look at it as Monday="push" because of the uneven number of days in the week, but trust me, if you push yourself hard enough you will want that day off.
I think I'll give that a try. It seems more organized.
P.O.S._Dubyuharex is offline  
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 02:51 PM
Punk Ass Bitch
 
KevinH78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Searcy Arkansas
Posts: 11,088
Quote:
Originally posted by Got Boost?
That would be my recommendation, or swap sholder/leg day with Back/tri day to give a day of rest. If you've got the time and want to have a day to really work your legs do what I call a "push/pull" routine. Do all the pushing exercises (chest, tris, shoulders) one day and then the pulling exercises the next (lats, middle back, bis). Day three is for legs/calves.
That's generally what I try to keep along the lines of. I always go with " Back & Bi's " and " Chest & Tri's " with a rest day, cardio day, or leg day in between.
KevinH78 is offline  
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 03:09 PM
Hired Hand
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 36,166
Quote:
Originally posted by MaddHatter
Just curious... my workout currently is more of a full body workout, I do 3 sets of 10-12 reps hitting all the major muscle groups (bis, tris, chest, shoulders, upper/lower legs, back, etc) with 30 seconds rest btw each set and a min rest btw each part. I sometimes hit the same muscle more then once (ie reverse preachers curl / dips / bench etc) is this doing more dmg then good? Should I try and switch to a piece by piece workout setup? Also, other then squats, leg curls and kicks, jumping rope and calf raises are there any other good workouts to build leg muscle? my upper legs are still big from soccer but I never really developed good calves like I wanted. Thanks
This sounds fine for a stamina/fat-loss/tone type of workout, but you probably won't see a whole lot of size that way. It depends on your body though...

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Big A is offline  
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 05:19 PM
P.I.M.P.
 
Head Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,868
So if I'm trying to bulk up with creatine I'm wasting my time and money doing full body workouts 3x a week pretty much? I guess I'll try the broken down method the next few weeks and see if I see any major gains that way. Thanks again Boost
Head Hunter is offline  
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 05:54 PM
Hired Hand
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 36,166
Quote:
Originally posted by MaddHatter
So if I'm trying to bulk up with creatine I'm wasting my time and money doing full body workouts 3x a week pretty much? I guess I'll try the broken down method the next few weeks and see if I see any major gains that way. Thanks again Boost
It wouldn't be a waste to do that for a couple weeks to allow your body to saturate with creatine and acclimate itself to the stresses of daily exercise, but your muscles will eventually need more specific attention and intensity to grow that a full body workout won't allow for.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Big A is offline  
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 06:55 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 8,717
Did back and bi's last night. Seems to have worked real well.

I going to do chest, tris, and shoulders tonight.
P.O.S._Dubyuharex is offline  
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 07:28 AM
P.I.M.P.
 
Head Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,868
I did the "push" group last night and finished it off with a honey comb on the bench... maybe it's the creatine but I figured I'd be sore as hell today and I'm not feeling a thing... also did some cardio and abs but I'll probably throw those in as a daily routine... I really want that 6pack back. GL WRX - lemme know what kind of results you see
Head Hunter is offline  
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 09:14 AM
Hired Hand
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 36,166
Quote:
Originally posted by P.O.S._Dubyuharex
Did back and bi's last night. Seems to have worked real well.

I going to do chest, tris, and shoulders tonight.
It wasn't mentioned earlier, but it's usually better to do the compound movements first and then to isolate the secondary muscles, otherwise you end up pre-exhausting your bi's and won't have them if you need them to go heavy on back. Most people do it that way anyway, i just wanted to throw it out there.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Big A is offline  
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 09:16 AM
Hired Hand
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 36,166
Quote:
Originally posted by MaddHatter
I did the "push" group last night and finished it off with a honey comb on the bench... maybe it's the creatine but I figured I'd be sore as hell today and I'm not feeling a thing...
Gutamine would have more of a positive effect on muscle soreness and recovery time than creatine, but
I suppose it's possible. Then again you might just be having a natural delayed response to the training, some people take a day or two befor the lactic acid builds up and soreness sets in. If you aren't feeling it tomorrow step up the intensity.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Big A is offline  
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 09:51 AM
P.I.M.P.
 
Head Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,868
Quote:
Originally posted by Got Boost?
Gutamine would have more of a positive effect on muscle soreness and recovery time than creatine, but
I suppose it's possible. Then again you might just be having a natural delayed response to the training, some people take a day or two befor the lactic acid builds up and soreness sets in. If you aren't feeling it tomorrow step up the intensity.
I did each of the first sets at the heavist weight I could do 10 reps of and would do 12 if I could then I would wait 60 secs then do another 10 reps at that weight, if I couldnt finsih I would step it down a little and finish then another 60seconds and do my 3 set of 10... would you recommend trying something different? more rest? heavier weights with less reps? more reps?
Head Hunter is offline  
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 11:11 AM
Hired Hand
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 36,166
Quote:
Originally posted by MaddHatter
would you recommend trying something different? more rest? heavier weights with less reps? more reps?
10-12 is a good rep range to get your body "broken-in" so just listen to your body. If you don't feel you got enough "burn" this time cocetrate on slower more intense reps next week, add an exercise, and up the weight as necessary to stay in your rep range.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Big A is offline  
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 11:15 AM Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Posts: 8,717
Quote:
Originally posted by Got Boost?
It wasn't mentioned earlier, but it's usually better to do the compound movements first and then to isolate the secondary muscles, otherwise you end up pre-exhausting your bi's and won't have them if you need them to go heavy on back. Most people do it that way anyway, i just wanted to throw it out there.
Yeah I figured that out when I could only do 80 pounds on my back. hahaha
P.O.S._Dubyuharex is offline  
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 11:32 AM
P.I.M.P.
 
Head Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,868
Quote:
Originally posted by P.O.S._Dubyuharex
Yeah I figured that out when I could only do 80 pounds on my back. hahaha
Basically you're saying to do Back, Chest and Shoulders first then to specifically target bi's, tri's and forearms? Sorry just trying to make sure I'm understanding all of this and the compound movement part kinda threw me off
Head Hunter is offline  
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 05-13-2003, 01:16 PM
Hired Hand
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 36,166
Exactly, bench press, shoulder press, and rows are meant to target chest, shoulders, and back respectively, but no matter how strict you are all of those movements use more than just the target muscles. A worst case scenario would be that you do a massive tricep workout and completely exhaust your tris, then you try and do any of the benches after that to hit chest. You aren't gonna be able to do but the lightest of weights because even though your chest is fresh, your tri's can't hang.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Big A is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome