Help me change my life (new routine for the 8-5) - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 03:24 AM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Newbie

Help me change my life (new routine for the 8-5)

Yea, I know I'm full of weak excuses (some more legit than others)... well now I want to figure out how to stick with the program:

I started a decent routine of alternating cardio/lifting after work, spending about 1.5 hours in the gym every evening. This went on for about a month, at which time I didn't notice much difference. Then I left in mid-January on business trips, which lasted through last month. Let me tell you--it's easy to screw up when you're traveling.

So I'm back home now and need to really plan a routine and stick with it. I feel like such a bitch for saying that I really didn't enjoy working out...maybe I was doing something wrong, but it seemed to be easier to change my diet than it was to pick up a weight. This attitude needs to change....

I'm 5'10", 165#, never worked out in my life. I have some fat I want to get rid of and don't really care about getting big, just lean and cut. Mass can be added later. How do I go about it though. Problem is, I work 8-5 like everyone else, often have things to do after work, and can only find time to go to the gym after work. I'll be working out by myself, which makes it harder to start this routine, since I have no f'n clue what I'm doing. I got a "sport" membership at 24-hr, and since I work in Carrollton, I'll probably go workout at the facility off Trinity Mills.

So I'm asking this: Help me build a lifestyle. Something that's going to strip away this fat and encourage me to build on it. This must be enjoyable and something I can do on my own after work. I'm an impatient little fuck, so I need to feel results. I'm prepared to change my diet if needed and drop more cash on foods/supplements to support the plan. What do you recommend for someone starting out (again)?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 09:31 AM

The one thing that helps me stick with is to go every single day. It only takes me about an hour, and thats with 30 minutes of cardio everyday.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 05-12-2003, 09:58 AM
Hired Hand

Take a good look in the mirror and decide what you want for yourself physically. Having a very specific plan in mind is beneficial in that if you aren't sure of which direction to go in, you may start working towards opposing goals or get disinterested without an immediate goal to pursue, both of which will bring progress to a screeching halt. Once you decide on what your goals are to be (fat-loss, strength, muscle tone, size, endurance, etc.) you will need to look deep inside yourself for the motivation to get there. There nothing I or anyone else can say that will get your butt into the gym, you need to do it for YOU. This post is certainly a good start as ironicaly knowlege and the mind are the number one factor in getting you into shape, your body just follows it's directions.

If fat loss is your primary goal then your workouts should consist of primarily cardio and higher rep sets in the 12-15rep range. If you've got the time you can even afford to do each body part twice a week to keep the blood fowing and the calories burning. 20minutes is the minimum time you want to spend on cardio, as it takes atleast that long to get into burning your fat reserves, but working yourself up to an hour or more per session would be optimal.

Regardless of your goals in the gym all of your calories need to come from whole and natural sources instead of the fatty/processed fair found all too easily in todays instant gratification society. Fresh vegetables, oatmeal, whole-grain pasta, and yams are good sources for carbs, and lean meats like turkey, chicken, and tuna are preffered souces for protien with an ocassional lean red meat. It can be difficult to get all of your daily protien from these sources and that's when a protien shake comes in as a handy snack. I personally perform better on a higher protien diet with minimal carbs, but your ectomorphic (leaner) metanbolism might prefer a few more carbs to keep the "fire" lit.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement