Need advice for work out... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 05:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Need advice for work out...

Let me preface this by saying that I know that I am weak, no need to point it out. I just started a couple of months ago.

I have been working out on the bench with higher reps. I have been doing 3 sets of 15 at 185lbs (although I can't actually finish the 3rd set without lowering the weight). Now I want to move to heavier weights, but lower reps. What would be an ideal number of sets/reps and at what weight?

Sorry for being such a pest, but I am new at this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 07:00 PM
Punk Ass Newbie

Re: Need advice for work out...

Quote:
Originally posted by 5111
Let me preface this by saying that I know that I am weak, no need to point it out. I just started a couple of months ago.

I have been working out on the bench with higher reps. I have been doing 3 sets of 15 at 185lbs (although I can't actually finish the 3rd set without lowering the weight). Now I want to move to heavier weights, but lower reps. What would be an ideal number of sets/reps and at what weight?

Sorry for being such a pest, but I am new at this.
Bench, flat bench? 15 @185 for 3 sets is not bad. I hope there is more to your workout than this though. You are asking for ideal reps and weights...it will vary from person to person. What are your goals and current stats.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 10:46 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Re: Re: Need advice for work out...

Quote:
Originally posted by wicked5_01
Bench, flat bench? 15 @185 for 3 sets is not bad. I hope there is more to your workout than this though. You are asking for ideal reps and weights...it will vary from person to person. What are your goals and current stats.
No, that is not it, but it is the one that I am concerned with. Usually whatever routine I do on the flat bench I do a similar one with the incline, decline, and fly.

I am really not sure that I have a definite goal. Essentially I would like to get more cut and bigger and stronger and etc. So I am rotating a month on higher reps and then a month on heavier weights. Since this is hopefully a long-term change in my lifestyle I am not too concerned with immediate results.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 09:43 AM
My Boy!

Put 200 on there and see if you can do about 4 - 10 reps at that weight. if so see how that does for 3 sets. IF you can get them all done then raise the weight next time. You will have to judge as to how much weight to add. You want to shoot for not being able to get that last one in each set without help from the spotter. You want to go to failure between 4 and 10 reps basically.
What I was told before was that when you can do 10 at a certain weight then add 5 lbs and try for 8 reps, next tiem go for 9, next time fgo for 10, then next time raise the weight again. Of course if you can get to 10 after raising the weight then raise it again.....

Hope I was making sense there - still kind of tired this morning.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 11:32 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Okay, here is what I did. I warmed up with 135, then a couple at 185. Then I did 3 sets of 8 at 225. I made it through all of them without any help except for the very last one. I probably could have gone up another 5-10lbs, but without a reliable spotter I am a little concerned. Maybe next week I will try the same thing with 235.

Thanks for the advice guys, I sincerely appreciate it. I have only been working out hard for about a month and am still learning.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 11:38 AM
Hired Hand

You've got the right idea on changing it up month to month, but for strength and muscle atrophy (growth) sets of 15 seems a little on the high side. That doesn't mean it's not good to throw in some high reps sets for a a good burn on accassion, but try concentrating on the 10-12 rep rang for a "moderate" month and then go "heavy" with a month in the 6-8 rep range. You can always throw in a finishing exercise or two with a lighter weight, but keep the core of your workout as heavy as possible while still staying in those ranges. I've also found it necessary to throw in an extra set per exercise when going heavy to keep up the workload. 3 sets of six reps (18 total reps) per exercise just doesn't cut it for me, but you may find that you don't need the extra set to get the job done. Listen to your body and keep your form strict, but don't be afraid to move some weight.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-09-2003, 09:48 AM

just try not to quit
Sponsored Links
Advertisement