I just can't eat this freakin' much - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Crash Test Dummy

Thumbs down I just can't eat this freakin' much

My caloric intake to maintain my bodyweight is 3000 cal. So far I've only had est. 500. I've planned out what I'm eating for lunch and dinner and it only comes out to just under 2000.

(Keep in mind these are really good calories, no junk)

I'm trying to lose alot of bodyfat but, maintain my muscle. My workout plan is good. Now I'm concerned about my diet. All of my foods are low-cal because like I said. I'm trying to cut out the crap. Good fiber intake and a few good carbs. (wheat muffins at 7am)

What effect will this have on my physique? Will I shrink? Or will my protein consumption/weight lifting keep the muscles around?

I know that I need to eat less cals to lose weight but, how much to eat if I want to lose fat and maintain muscle?

Advertisement

post #2 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 09:58 AM
Lifer

I hope this is just to get you cut because I don't think with that few calories that you will be able to create any muscle, you might even lose a little muscle.
post #3 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 10:08 AM Thread Starter
Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally posted by stangcrazy
I hope this is just to get you cut because I don't think with that few calories that you will be able to create any muscle, you might even lose a little muscle.
Yeah, I know. I might have to throw in some low fat peanut butter samiches!

post #4 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 11:25 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

i'm averaging 1300-1500 per day and that includes enough protein to sustain my mass and enough extra to grow.. low fat.. low to moderate carbs..
TUNA DIET BABY!!1
post #5 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 12:16 PM Thread Starter
Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally posted by White_lightning
i'm averaging 1300-1500 per day and that includes enough protein to sustain my mass and enough extra to grow.. low fat.. low to moderate carbs..
TUNA DIET BABY!!1
So it's the protein and not the calories that sustain lean muscle? If so then I'm good.

post #6 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 01:38 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

protiend = feeding the muscle + muscle building..
Calories = energy.. .less calories will leave you feeling more tired..
post #7 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 02:00 PM
mannish boy

you've got the genetics to not have to worry about a few dirty calories... if you're trying to build mass, you need to get some good fats and stuff in there...

high protein/low carb can help keep you from LOSING muscle, but you gotta get the calories (and carbs) in there if you want to GAIN muscle...

eating clean is tough... flax see oil can help you get necessary fats and calories w/o going "dirty"

a weight gainer suppliment can help get you another 500-1000 (or more though your digestive tract probably won't be happy with you!) clean calories a day...

but, like I said, you've got the genetics to not have to worry too much... just stay away from simple sugars and you'll be fine. don't fear a burger a day or something for some decent calories... just stay away from the fries and soda!!

my buddy's got good genetics... he could get ripped eating fried chicken and french fries while washing it down with Mountain Dew... to his credit, he does bust ass in the gym like nobody I know...

I, on the other hand, pretty much have to plan on putting on fat if I'm trying to put on muscle...

Forrest
post #8 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 02:04 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by Forrest
I, on the other hand, pretty much have to plan on putting on fat if I'm trying to put on muscle...
You are not alone ma man, you are not alone...

<---quite mesomorphic

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #9 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally posted by Got Boost?
You are not alone ma man, you are not alone...

<---quite mesomorphic
You're a Power Ranger?

post #10 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 02:23 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by Monsoon X
So it's the protein and not the calories that sustain lean muscle? If so then I'm good.
Not really. If you are taking in 2500 calories a day and your body is buring 3000 calories a day, you will lose 1 lb per week, regardless of your protein intake.

The ratios you input will determine if you burn your fat stores for energy, or your lean mass.
post #11 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 02:40 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Let expand what I wrote a little...

You have a basal metabolic rate. This is the number of calories you require everyday to breathe, keep the heart pumping, etc.

When your body can obtain all the basal calories it requires throughout the day via food intake, the body can efficiently burn the fat stores. When food intake is reduced below this level, it has an unwanted effect on where your body gets its energy from.

Your body's first choice for energy is also glycogen (blood sugar). After its gone, your body still requires glycogen to run its nervous system (ever not eat and get light headed? you've run out of glycogen). If you aren't active, the body will turn to protein (lean mass) to feed the basal metabolic requirements. Most peeps think this is the time when it goes to fat stores for energy. But, the nervous system and brain can only use glucose for energy. Muscles, kidneys, liver, etc can use fat for energy, your nervous system can not.

Your body does not have enzymes to convert stored fat into glycogen. It does have the required enzymes to convert protein into glucose.

So... if the glucose isn't available, it will turn to your lean mass to convert it into glucose (which if it didn't you would die).

When all this happens, your body will go into starvation mode, while burning lean tissue, which will lower your basal metabolic rate. In doing so, the body will also start storing as much as it can as fat, as a safety precaution.

So, if you want to keep your weight, you need to eat as many calories as you are expending (basal + voluntary calories).

If you want to lose weight, you have to eat less calories, but at least the number required for basal metabolism to occur (if you don't you will start burning lean tissue as opposed to fat).

If you want to gain weight, you have to eat more calories than your expend (basal + voluntary calories).

Last edited by 01WhiteCobra; 05-01-2003 at 02:47 PM.
post #12 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 02:41 PM

How do I find out how much protein I need to intake for my body weight?
post #13 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 03:03 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by Monsoon X
You're a Power Ranger?
Makes it easy for Halloween.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #14 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 04:10 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by P.O.S._Dubyuharex
How do I find out how much protein I need to intake for my body weight?
I want to say its somewhere around a gram and a half for each lb. a day.

-John
-2007 Mustang GT
post #15 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 04:19 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by 96BluOvl
I want to say its somewhere around a gram and a half for each lb. a day.
I've head that 1 gram per pound of desired body weight is prefered, but 1.5 per pound shouldn't tax the kidneys too bad.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #16 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 04:41 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

im definatly an endomorph.. but.. once i get back into the swing of lifting.. im going to start dieting.. by the way.. in the first 2 years of working out in 96/97.. i ate less then 1/2 the "needed protein" and way to much fat/carbs.. i was leaner, stronger and in better shape then at any other time maybe i should go back to eating pizza and wendys.. no.. just kidding.. im intersted to see how my body responds to a hard work out with enough protein this time round..
post #17 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-02-2003, 11:51 PM
Floored...

Boost - I wouldn't worry much about protein damaging your kidneys. To my knowledge, I can't find a single medical case where this has ever been an issue. The only studies where this was shown, was in lab rats, or people who already had kidneys that were bad.

I wouldnt worry about more than 1.5 to 2 grams of protein / pound of body fat. Your body can only absorb about 50 to 55 grams of protein per sitting. If you get some Ginger Root, and take it with your meal, it will allow you to absorb about 80 grams of protein / meal.
post #18 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 07:05 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Evil
Boost - I wouldn't worry much about protein damaging your kidneys. To my knowledge, I can't find a single medical case where this has ever been an issue. The only studies where this was shown, was in lab rats, or people who already had kidneys that were bad.

A high protein diet coupled with an existing unknown kidney problem can help accelerate the loss of kidney function.
post #19 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-03-2003, 07:38 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:

I wouldnt worry about more than 1.5 to 2 grams of protein / pound of body fat. Your body can only absorb about 50 to 55 grams of protein per sitting. If you get some Ginger Root, and take it with your meal, it will allow you to absorb about 80 grams of protein / meal.
I personaly know 3-4 people ( all NON roid abusers) who where on high protein diets.. and when they stoped working out, kept on the diet.. withing 6 months their kidneys where spilling so much protein that it was dangerous to their health.
post #20 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 01:34 PM
Floored...

Quote:
Originally posted by 01WhiteCobra
A high protein diet coupled with an existing unknown kidney problem can help accelerate the loss of kidney function.
True.
post #21 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 01:36 PM
Floored...

Quote:
I personaly know 3-4 people ( all NON roid abusers) who where on high protein diets.. and when they stoped working out, kept on the diet.. withing 6 months their kidneys where spilling so much protein that it was dangerous to their health.
Where did the protein spill too? The floor? And what was their protein intake? 3 grams / pound of body weight?

And why would they maintain a high protein diet if they are not working out? Waste of money imo. When Im not working out, I just try to stick to an isocaloric diet.
post #22 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-04-2003, 05:26 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:
Where did the protein spill too? The floor? And what was their protein intake? 3 grams / pound of body weight?

And why would they maintain a high protein diet if they are not working out? Waste of money imo. When Im not working out, I just try to stick to an isocaloric diet.
they had protein in their urin.. the kidney was not filtering it out efficinetly enough and it was winding up directly sent out to the urin.
post #23 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 07:27 AM

SO I need to be taking 200-300 grams of protein a day!?

Is this right? I weigh right at 200 pounds as of last night.

Wow, I'm way behind.
post #24 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 08:13 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

no no no.. its 1 G of protein fer lbs of LEAN Body mass..
you dont need protein for your fat
post #25 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 11:40 AM

Quote:
no no no.. its 1 G of protein fer lbs of LEAN Body mass..
you dont need protein for your fat
I am confused!!! How do I figure out how much ny lean body mass weighs? I can't have more than 10 pounds of fat onme.
post #26 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 11:59 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:
Originally posted by P.O.S._Dubyuharex
I am confused!!! How do I figure out how much ny lean body mass weighs? I can't have more than 10 pounds of fat onme.
you weigh 200lbs.
get get your BF% tested.. lets say you are 10% ( you arent.. i would estimate you are a little more)..
that means you have 180ish lbs of LBM.. and hence need 180g of protein.
post #27 of 27 (permalink) Old 05-06-2003, 12:04 PM

Quote:
you weigh 200lbs.
get get your BF% tested.. lets say you are 10% ( you arent.. i would estimate you are a little more)..
that means you have 180ish lbs of LBM.. and hence need 180g of protein.
Gotcha!

I'm still not eating enough though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement