Stack vs Free weight w/ no spotter - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Lifer

Stack vs Free weight w/ no spotter

I have been doing a high rep workout to lean out some for the past 4 weeks. Starting next week I am going to be doing a mass/strength building workout. Here is my problem: I do not have a spotter that I can rely on. It is my wife and she is not the greatest. Since I am going to be lifting heavier weights that only leaves me with 2 options. 1) Use the open bench and don't lift as heavy or 2) use the stack machine (I guess that is what it is called) with heavy weights so that I can self-spot. Which one should I do?

I know that I can ask people at the gym to help, but half of the time they are worse than my wife.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 10:32 AM
Crash Test Dummy

I find that when I have no spotter I lift better. Knowing that no one is there to save me makes me get it up offathere........(even on heavy days)

Just tap a fellow weightlifter and ask him to watch you.

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 10:53 AM
Do Work Son!!!!!

moonsoon x is right you do have to try harder when no one is there to save your ass but if someone is there those extra few reps never hurt anyone either. Spoter is good but not needed all of the time.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 11:00 AM
tex
Lifer

Even if you're pushing more 'weight' on a machine, you're still losing a lot of the control functions of your muscles, which will limit your growth. I'd rather lift slightly lighter with free weights and get work the full muscle rather than push or pull along a predetermined path. But like these guys said, you have to work harder when you're alone, and thats how you grow.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 11:06 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

there are some things you can do with out a spotter.. but i find i can never go balls out with out one.. i like to work every set to failure. and then negative.. you cant do that with out a competant spotter.. im kinda leary about asking people i dont know to spot me.. im VERY finiky about my spotters and often have to "educate them" on how to spot for me first... then goheavy ..

free weights are the best though.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 11:49 AM

Spotters are the bomb and free weights are the best. I've doubled my growth since moving to free weights with a spotter. Those negatives do kick your ass too.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 08:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Thanks guys, I guess that I will stick with the free weights and just be careful. When I see someone near me that looks like they know what they are doing I will ask for help.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 08:43 PM
Banned

i'm in bedford.. and work out at the 24 hour off of central.. where do u work out at?
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 08:47 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

No spotters on bench is cool until you tear a muscle....
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 04-30-2003, 10:02 PM
Lifer

No spotter is not wise when going heavy. You never know when a muscle might cramp or give up on you. Make sure you let your spotter know what you intend to do and how you want him to spot you( a tad or alot). And a spotter is also needed for negatives. If you cannot get a spotter stick with the machines. Thats what they are there for.

-John
-2007 Mustang GT
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 05-01-2003, 07:48 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by brien w
i'm in bedford.. and work out at the 24 hour off of central.. where do u work out at?
We work out at the 24 hour up the road from there by Texas Land & Cattle. I plan to upgrade in 6 months or so to start going to the one off Central.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement