Atkin's Diet - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 03:57 PM Thread Starter
Floored...

Thumbs up Atkin's Diet

I decided to start the Atkin's diet today as I've put on some extra weight over the past few weeks since I stopped working out due to lazyness.

Wanted to give a big Thumbs up to Silverback. I just got back from Albertson's and purchased some Sugar Free Jello and Light Whip cream (about 1 gram of carbs / 2 tablespoons). I had 2 cups of Jello and 4 tablespoons of whipcream and DAMN that was just what I needed to kill that sugar craving Im having already.

Plus, I picked up like 40 bags of pork rinds. mmm mmm good.

Anyone else do the Atkins diet?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 04:04 PM
The Big Matt

8 pounds in 5 days sucka...

9 days to go, then i take a few days off, then back on again...
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Floored...

Quote:
Originally posted by Silverback
8 pounds in 5 days sucka...

9 days to go, then i take a few days off, then back on again...
Damn. Way to go Matt. I'll post up my details in a few days.

Seems Frogger thought I gained a bit of weight for the past few weeks.

Bizatch!

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 04:07 PM
DFWStangs' Patron Saint

The Scarsdale diet lives again!
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 04:07 PM
DRAMA FREE!

What is the diet??? Only carbs or something like that??
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 04:07 PM
STILL EVIL!!

LOL yea I did the Atkins diet and all I will say is it works!! I lost a hell of a lot of weight and I need to get back on it
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 04:11 PM
The Big Matt

actually it's no carbs, all protien and fat.

No sugar, no starches, no carbs.

It's pretty much meat, eggs, cheese, and pork rinds diet...
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Floored...

Quote:
Originally posted by PrimerPony
What is the diet??? Only carbs or something like that??
No carbs for the first 2 weeks. Actually 20 grams or less / day. Its almost impossible to not take in ZERO carbs at all.

Do a search on google.com for Atkins Diet. You will find a ton of stuff.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 04:15 PM
The Big Matt

yeah, but the diet isn't worth it after the first two weeks. I stay on for two weeks, then off for a few days to a week, then back on for two weeks.

Anything longer than two weeks, and you get real annoyed with meat alone.
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 04:17 PM
DRAMA FREE!

Prok Rinds....*barf!!!

I had some of those when i was younger and was on the side of I30 for about 15 minutes. I am about to join that new 24 Fitness at 75 and Royal, so my diet will be running my ass off and some weights.
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 04:19 PM
STILL EVIL!!

yea but matt if you stay on it for longer than the two weeks you can loose like 5 or so a week, I know I did
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 04:20 PM
The Big Matt

shit pork rinds rock... MAC's Spicy Pork Rinds
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 04:23 PM Thread Starter
Floored...

Quote:
shit pork rinds rock... MAC's Spicy Pork Rinds
Yup. Thats what I bought. MACS.
and a case full of Sugar Free / Diet Big Red. Hell yea.

Bring on the fat loss.
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 04:25 PM
Certified CRAZY!

Hell yea it works!!

My mom lost like 40 pounds in a few months (this is with the diet alone-no exercise). The diet is really cool cause you can still eat a lot of "regular" food!

You can spend minutes, hours, days, weeks, even months over analyzing a situation.. trying to put the pieces back together, justifying what could've, should've and would've happened or you can leave the pieces on the floor and move the fuck on!!
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 04:30 PM
The Big Matt

just be prepare for stinky breath, reaking farts, and ubelievable shits...

Other than that I can't think of any drawbacks.
post #16 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 04:58 PM
Darkside

Protein power is better. They allow beer--miller lite at 3.2 grams of carbs and wine. Actually drinking wine will help you lose weight faster than not drinking at all. Lost 45 pds in 6 months and stayed drunk. What a diet
post #17 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 05:03 PM
The Big Matt

i drink liquor all the time... Rum and diet coke, vodka and diet sprite, etc...

The problem with beer on the diet, is most people don't stop at a couple, which can be ok to stay under 20g a day.

But a 12 pack at 3.5~ is 42g of carbs.

I'll agree, any kind of liquor helps you lose weight, water weight.
post #18 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 07:56 PM
Turbobrooks

Location: You can call me Aaron Burr from the way I'm dropping Hamiltons
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Evil

No carbs for the first 2 weeks. Actually 20 grams or less / day. Its almost impossible to not take in ZERO carbs at all.

Do a search on google.com for Atkins Diet. You will find a ton of stuff.
Going out drinking anytime soon?
post #19 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 08:20 PM Thread Starter
Floored...

Hell no. Are you? If I do, Im taking it easy. I just got over a headache I got from drinking too much last nite.
post #20 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-14-2001, 09:10 PM
The Alpha Omega Frog

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Evil
Seems Frogger thought I gained a bit of weight for the past few weeks.
Bizatch!
Oh dear!

When I said you looked bigger....I didnt mean like "fat ass, round puff ball bigger"... I made the comment cuz I think you look pretty solid. thats right...I gave you a compliment

Granted Im sure your not happy with your physique at the moment, but you are definetly a lot further ahead in the fitness realm than the rest of us. finishes off last couple of McDonalds french fries...hmmmm yum yum

And Silverback...I think you convinced me to try this Atkins gig...starting Monday hehe...

Y2K Supercharged Electric Green GT
The Dallas Diamonds
WPFL 3Peat Superbowl Champions 2004-06
IWFL 2008 Superbowl Champions
Captain*Mike/Sam*League All Pro 2004
Def/LB coach 06-08 season
Defensive Coordinator 09

Dallas Fire Rescue
post #21 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-15-2001, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Floored...

Quote:
Originally posted by Frogger

Oh dear!

When I said you looked bigger....I didnt mean like "fat ass, round puff ball bigger"... I made the comment cuz I think you look pretty solid. thats right...I gave you a compliment

Granted Im sure your not happy with your physique at the moment, but you are definetly a lot further ahead in the fitness realm than the rest of us. finishes off last couple of McDonalds french fries...hmmmm yum yum

And Silverback...I think you convinced me to try this Atkins gig...starting Monday hehe...
Ahh. Thanks for clearing that up Karen.
I'm still going to run the Atkins for 2 weeks to shed some of this body fat.
then its time to add more meat.
post #22 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-15-2001, 02:32 AM

If the atkins diet is working for you then I say more power to ya, but i just wanted to give my 2 cents. This diet is actually a very unhealthy one and can even be unsafe. Carbs are very vital to a persons diet and you simply just can't cut them out...you need them. And against popular belief, carbs are not fat. Most of the time this diet is only effective for a couple weeks then fails to work anymore. I interned for a dietician over the summer a little bit and learned a lot about different diets....the atkins was very contraversial because most dieticians disapprove of it. When it comes down to it, the most effective way to put off the pounds is to eat healthy and excercise. If you don't exercise, you are not gonna keep off the pounds...and you can't ever skip meals, it slows down your metabolism. But i wish you luck with the diet just be very careful =)
post #23 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-15-2001, 05:04 PM
The Big Matt

Quote:
Originally posted by Jesyka
If the atkins diet is working for you then I say more power to ya, but i just wanted to give my 2 cents. This diet is actually a very unhealthy one and can even be unsafe. Carbs are very vital to a persons diet and you simply just can't cut them out...you need them. And against popular belief, carbs are not fat. Most of the time this diet is only effective for a couple weeks then fails to work anymore. I interned for a dietician over the summer a little bit and learned a lot about different diets....the atkins was very contraversial because most dieticians disapprove of it. When it comes down to it, the most effective way to put off the pounds is to eat healthy and excercise. If you don't exercise, you are not gonna keep off the pounds...and you can't ever skip meals, it slows down your metabolism. But i wish you luck with the diet just be very careful =)
I disagree with you...

The Atkins diet is far from "unhealthy". Even though some people have shown that their body can not take the loss of carbs, it still works for quite a few people. Do you realize how many empty calories there are in a high carb diet? I've done this diet off and on for over two years, at one time I lost 60 lbs. I used to weigh near 320, and got down to 260, in a matter of a few months. But then I didn't maintain my weight, and went back to eating unhealty again. And put on 40 lbs. In the past 6 days, I have lost 11 lbs. The first time I was on the diet, I consulted my doctor, who said, "see if it works for you". We watched my cholesterol, blood sugar, etc... After losing the first 20 lbs, my cholesterol was lower than it had ever been. Your body doesn't need carbs. Your body craves carbs, and that comes from years and years of carb addiction. Out of an average diet, close to 90% of your intake is carbs. When you take in carbs, protein, fat your body burns them in the this order. If your body cannot use all of the carbs you take in, it stores them as fat, and if you cannot burn all of the carbs, how can you burn the protein and fat that you are taking in as well, let alone your body fat.

The atkin's diet works because of this... Eating protein and fat alone, causes your body to stop craving carbs. Your body gets used to burning protein and fat for energy. Once it has burned what you have taken in, it starts burning stored fat for energy because it is already on a fat burning cycle. When carbs are added it's hard to make your body change between carb burning and fat burning. I've eaten like a pig, more food than you can imagine on this diet, and lost weight every time.

The downfall is this. Once you come off of the diet, and start adding carbs back in, your body will immediately switch back to a carb burning system. If you don't eat healtier, or at least watch your intake, you will just put the weight back on.

Remember too, on any kind of "diet" where you limit the types of foods you eat, take vitamins. You body needs vitamins, and when you aren't eating many vegetables, you lose what little you were taking in. Hell you should be taking a multi-vitamin everyday twice a day, anyway.
post #24 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-15-2001, 05:12 PM
The Big Matt

Atkins Diet Menu

Here is an average days meal plan for me.

Breakfast
Ham and Cheese Omlet
2 pieces of bacon
2 pieces of sausage
Diet Soda or water

Lunch
Grilled chicken or steak w/ grilled onions and peppers
(fajita's are ideal, because you can have cheese, sour cream, and guacamole on the diet)
small salad
Diet Soda or water

Dinner
Grilled Chicken Alfredo, grilled chicken breasts with jar alfredo sauce poured over them. (check the labels, I've found some with 2 to 3 carbs per serving)
cheese
Diet Soda or water

snacks
pork rinds
sugar free jello w/ canned whipped cream
tic-tacs ~ less than 1 carb per tictac
sugar free gum ~ less than 1 carb per piece

Hope this helps

Other foods...

Fast food
hamburgers, or grilled chicken sandwiches - ditch the bread, no mayo
beef burritos from taco bell or taco bueno - ditch the tortilla, careful with salsa
Roasted chickens from KFC or Boston Market - green beans are a good thing to accompany this meal

And don't forget, cheese dip and pork rinds isn't that bad
post #25 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-15-2001, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
Floored...

Re: Atkins Diet Menu

Quote:

And don't forget, cheese dip and pork rinds isn't that bad
Gonna have to try the cheeze dip with the rinds.

By the way, my tummy was NOT happy with the new diet this morning. YUK!
post #26 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-15-2001, 07:37 PM
The Big Matt

like i said, you will shit more than you ever have in your entire life..
post #27 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-16-2001, 12:59 PM
smokerings

Lay off the diet soda

You should not be drinking the diet soda if you want to get the full benifit of the diet. The sweetner will still convert to glycogen and kick you out of ketosis.

I have had to get used to drinking a lot of tea.

Slainte
post #28 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-16-2001, 01:07 PM
The Big Matt

not true at all.

Diet soda is ok, the sweetener isn't enough to bother you, as compared to the actual sugar in a regular coke.

Besides I can't stand tea. How do you drink something that is just leaves, twigs, and dirt soaked in water???
post #29 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-16-2001, 04:34 PM Thread Starter
Floored...

Re: Lay off the diet soda

Quote:
Originally posted by smokerings
You should not be drinking the diet soda if you want to get the full benifit of the diet. The sweetner will still convert to glycogen and kick you out of ketosis.

I have had to get used to drinking a lot of tea.

Slainte
You are slightly correct. Sometimes, the TASTE of sweetness can cause your body to release insulin.

I think its probably your body conditioned to release insulin because normally you take in sugar and so it releases insulin. It thinks your still taking in sugar due to the physical characteristics.

Im not sure how to defeat this or how long this will continue, but its not all the time. But then again, everyone is different.
post #30 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-16-2001, 04:43 PM
iHustle

Fatback and diets

Are ya'll really going to take advice on diets from a fatass like silverback? Look at the man, its obviously not working. That would be like asking a Ethopian how steak taste....why?
post #31 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-16-2001, 08:44 PM
dispatching aero planes

On the Atkin's diet you will loose a lot of weight. But since you are depriving your body of a substance that you already have a large intake of..going 90%-5% of your daily diet, once you are off of it you will gain back a lot of the weight that you have lost if not all of it because your body cannot handle the influx of the substancial gain of carbs. I went on a diet where I ate a lot of protien(chicken, lean meat), cut down on my carbs not out, watched my sugar intake, stopped drinking cokes and lost 35lbs, and have kept it off not being on it. I did not do any cardio work and only lifted weights, which I did heavy reps, and small sets. Never deprive your body of a natural substance that it craves(not drugs) and you will be better off.
post #32 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-16-2001, 09:07 PM
smokerings

"You are slightly correct."

No offence intended mate, but I am entirely correct. If you do a little reading on some of the Atkin's sites you will find that this is a fairly well known bit of the diet.

I have heard Dr. Atkins when he was interviewed by Russ Martin of 105.3 (yea I know how he interviews folks, but he was actually taking it seriously because half the people on the show were on the diet) and upon being told that Russ was not seeing any changes, Atkins wanted to know what he was drinking. He went on to admonish the people on the show that they could not drink diet cola's because very few artificial sweeteners do not convert in the liver.

The one exception to this that I know of to date is Diet Rite cola. It uses a sweetener called sucrolose under the brand name of Splenda. Splenda is made from sugar through a patented, multi-step process that selectively replaces three hydrogen-oxygen groups on the sugar molecule with three chlorine atoms. The result is an exceptionally stable sweetener that keeps sugar's taste without sugar's calories. After consumption, it passes through the body without being metabolized or broken down. Then end result is that it does not effect the diet but you still get your cola fix. The disadvantage is that I am told that Diet Rite sucks. I have not had it to date.

Also by the by, another factor is the fact that caffeine is verboten according to Atkins. I happen to disagree with him on the subject of stimulents by quite a bit but that is neither here nor there.

Slainte
post #33 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-17-2002, 08:52 PM
mannish boy

question:

if you release insulin due to a pavlovian response to sweetness, but there are no carbs/sugars to burn is this still adverse to the goal of the diet?

thanks,

Forrest
post #34 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-17-2002, 09:41 PM Thread Starter
Floored...

Quote:
Originally posted by Forrest
question:

if you release insulin due to a pavlovian response to sweetness, but there are no carbs/sugars to burn is this still adverse to the goal of the diet?

thanks,

Forrest
Supposedly. I will see if I can find the article that discusses it. I cant' remember it right at this moment.

<--- Too busy finishing up a server install right now. Ughh.
Started work @ 5:00 this morning and its 8:40 pm right now.

Geez. Billable hours I guess.
post #35 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-17-2002, 09:58 PM
mannish boy

I just can't wait till I'm done with the first two weeks and I can actually have some dextrose after my workouts! helps the creatine absorb and helps prevent that "flat" feeling afterwords...

still stickin' with it!

Forrest
post #36 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-18-2002, 02:41 AM
The Decent Guy

Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Hey I just need a good diet to go with my workout, I want to lose about 60 to 80 pounds, but safely. I don't mind if I have to take a year to do it just want it done. I am trying to cut out carbs for two weeks, then I will get about 15-25grams of carb a day for the next 3 or 4 months. Does anybody know if this will work?
post #37 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-18-2002, 02:47 AM
Time Served

I am curious(not flaming). why not just eat less/healthier? IE, no more fast food. eat salad with low fat dressing for lunches, have a sandwhich instead of a hamburger. have some rice and chicken for dinner.. etc.

work outa little bit. seems like a lot healthier way than a 'trick' diet. I also would think that you could gain back a lot of weight when you get off this "akins" diet.. where as with just eating better overall, you will keep the weight off and not only lose the fat, but be in better shape.

-2010 TTCamaro SS
-2006 Vortech C6 Z06
-1993 RX7, LS1 powered (sold)
-1994 1000+hp Turbo Camaro (sold)
www.momentumautosports.com
post #38 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-18-2002, 08:18 AM Thread Starter
Floored...

Different diets work for different people.
post #39 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-18-2002, 11:02 AM
mannish boy

Jordan, that's sounds great...

I don't believe in "low fat" diets... because "low fat" diets generally have tons of sugar in them...

I believe in no-sugar diets... it just so happened that I found a diet that took my ideal a step farther and cuts carbs almost completely for two weeks to get your body in a state where it burns fat (as there are no carbs present which are the first "go to") and burning fat is what I want to do right now...

you then slowly re-introduce carbs... it's not like you just up and quit eating carbs...

and I'm not going to stick to the letter of the diet later either... because I want to gain muscle mass, and it's tough to do much of that without carbs... so I'll be getting back on HEALTHY carbs when it's time to bulk up again after I've lost some of this fat!

you might want to read up on it and see what you think.

and yes, bottom line, different diets work for different people.
post #40 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-18-2002, 11:49 AM
The Decent Guy

Location: staying away from the tall woman with the adams apple.
Hey if anybody knows of a good no carb diet for the 1st two weeks, please let me know. after two weeks I will eat the starter diet plus salads and maybe one or two pieces of fruit after the two weeks. I just need help with the start of it. Plus can I drink at all, I am just curious.
post #41 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-18-2002, 05:52 PM
mannish boy

pfft...

fuck this! LOL!

I broke the diet about 20 min ago... made me too stupid... (slows brain function... not permanantly! LOL!) and no energy...

it's also not good for putting on muscle mass...

I think it's a good diet for someone wanting to lose fat who isn't working out or trying to add muscle mass...

screw it, I'm bulking up... more muscle burns more fat! MWAHAHAHA!!!

still going to eat well... no simple carbs/sugars and no... well... very little beer!

fat n' happy,

Forrest
post #42 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-19-2002, 08:42 PM
Worship me

Quote:
Originally posted by Forrest
I just can't wait till I'm done with the first two weeks and I can actually have some dextrose after my workouts! helps the creatine absorb and helps prevent that "flat" feeling afterwords...

still stickin' with it!

Forrest
Twinlab Creatine Chewables...the dextrose comes in the tablet...take three before you workout and you will be a fucking terror in the gym!
post #43 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-19-2002, 08:45 PM
Worship me

Fuck those diets man...just lay off the sugar, eat as much protein as you can and do as much aerobic exercise as you can...and bust your ass when it comes to the iron....

Losing a bunch of fat whne you have no muscle is fucking crazy....you will end up like Jordan Musser! LMFAO!!
post #44 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-20-2002, 06:27 PM
Lifer

al p's right! fuck all that diet shit. just stay away from the junk food, and get to the FREAKIN GYM! How do you expect to lose weight and keep it off with no muscle growth. Its just not safe to lose alot of weight in a short peiod of time. Plan a routine work out and keep progressing. Next thing you know your pants will slowly get bigger! Matt has lost alot of weight so dont dog him fuckhead!
post #45 of 45 (permalink) Old 01-21-2002, 10:19 AM
get8ch

Re: Fatback and diets

Quote:
Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
Are ya'll really going to take advice on diets from a fatass like silverback? Look at the man, its obviously not working. That would be like asking a Ethopian how steak taste....why?
Just what I was thinking!! LOL!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement