Bench Press advice? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 04:09 PM Thread Starter

Bench Press advice?

I started doing some bench press about two months ago and have improved to working with 50-60 more pounds than when I first started. Usually I start with a weight I can rep 10 times, do that once, then move up to a bigger weight, rep that 5-8 times for 3 or 4 sets. With the last set barely getting it up there. I feel like I am making good progress and definitely feel a lot stronger now than I did when I started. I want to know if there is a better rep/set combo that would be more beneficial to help my climb to lifting more.

I also have been doing some curls with the straight bench bar and want to know if it is better to use a curl bar or what?

also, what are the different advantages to incline, decline and flat bench press? I can only do flat rt now and feel like I am doing myslef a disservice by not doing at least incline along with the flat bench

Thank You
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 04:51 PM
Hired Hand

Flat bench is a good place to start and to learn proper form, but incline and decline are a good way to improve over-all pec development. Given that you have just started,your chest is responding to flat bench really well, but soon enough your muscles will get to a point of stagnation and that "new stimulus" will no longer be newm, your muscles will adapt. As your progress levels out add in decline and incline movements (either bench or bumbell presses) to hit your muslces with fresh new angles and stresses. The lower rep scheme may be working for you for now, but I'd look into starting 10-12 rep sets to give your muscles that extra burn, especially as you are learning the new movements, form comes before weight always.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 07:29 PM
Do Work Son!!!!!

Bench press is a big lift in the weight room everyone wants to say they throw up this huge amount but if you are looking to get some gains alot of the bench press has alot to do with your tricepts if you kill the chest kill the trys to.

Heres my upper body work out:
- Bench press 225 pounds x 12 to 15
275 pounds x 8 to 10
315 pounds x 3 to 5
135 pounds till it burns so bad i cant go anymore.

My workout changes everyday but that is a basic bench work out.

I also do alot more lifts on my chest about 3 to 5 exercises on chest 3to 5 on bys tries and forearms.

this is monday wendsday friday and tuesday thurseday i do shoulders nothing on Saturday but sunday is a mix of both.

Just one last note not to brag but Sunday (easter) i pressed 390 in my garage. I was pretty dam happy about that.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement