Ok... time for my ass to get a 300lb bench back... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Ok... time for my ass to get a 300lb bench back...

No more long distance running. I'm sticking to 5K-10K, which I'll be able to put together decent times (sub 7 minute miles) on about 30 miles.

Basic routine is one workout per body part per week (Mon-Chest, Tue - Legs, Wed - Back, Thu - Shoulders, Fri - Arms).

Although the routine for chest will change week to week, the obvious main stay is flat bench. Rep range from 10-2. Some weeks will be negatives, some weeks will be light, some working on my weakness (the first 1/2 of the lift off the chest). Close grip benches, weighted dips, military presses, etc.

Legs - squats/leg presses, Back - pullups/bent over rows. Biceps, whatever I feel like that day. Abs done randomly throughout the week.

Diet, will try to get between 160-180 grams of protien a day, multi vitamin a day + extra C, lots of water, creatine, shark cartilage (for the joints). 6-7 meals a day.

The goal is a 300# bench by the end of the year, last time I maxed was last December at 225#, but I've been off/on at the gym at best since January. So, I'm guessing I'll need 80-85 increase to hit the magical 300#.

If I do so, I get to relive the greatness of the 300# bench press club I made as a Sr. in HS. I can again wear my "Bobcat Football - 300lb Club" t-shirt again and not be living a lie.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2003, 08:50 PM
Worship me

Work your chest more than once a week if you can and you will get there a lot faster. A light workout then a heavy workout. Get a negative on every set if you can. You will get there quick...

I'm holding steady at about a 350 lb. bench I haven't gone up in quite a while, I have been focusing on getting my 400 lb. squat back for the past couple of months.

BTW, I did 3 miles in 29 minutes today.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 08:17 AM

Whats a negative?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 08:22 AM Thread Starter
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

There are two types of negatives.

Let say, you can bench 225 for 10 reps. You do your 10 and can't budge another rep. Your spotter pulls it off your chest, you slowly lower it back to your chest, spotter pulls it off your chest, you slowly lower it back to your chest.

The other is where you load the bar with more than your one rep max. You lower it down, the spotters pull it back up, you lower it down, the spotters pull it back up. But, you don't pre-exhaust your chest before hand.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 08:27 AM Thread Starter
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by AL P

BTW, I did 3 miles in 29 minutes today.
Here is another routine, to keep the boredom down on the treadmill, since we are talking negatives on the bench.

When you feel like it, do negative splits on your 3 mile run. For example, for the first mile, do 10 min/mile. For the second mile, do a 9:30/mile, for the third do a 9:00/mile.

Progressively drop it when you can (for example, start with a 9:45/mile, then a 9:15/mile, then a 8:45/mile).

Again, its just training your body to run faster and more efficiently when its tired.

Thanks for the BP tip, I'll jumble the schedule around so I have a Tue/Sat chest day.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 09:46 AM

I need a freakin spotter.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2003, 04:13 PM
Worship me

2.70 miles in 24 minutes today...5 intervals of 2 minutes at 7.5 mph too.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 08:26 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

are we talking 300 MAX? or repping 300?
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-22-2003, 11:22 PM
Foxaholic

Quote:
Originally posted by P.O.S._Dubyuharex
I need a freakin spotter.
Me too. 120+ lb. Dumbells are dam near impossible to mess with when doing chest. It is like balet trying to get them back to the floor after my set without dropping them. I push myself quite a bit more with a partner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement