AL P and White01Cobra.... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 03:40 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

AL P and White01Cobra....

ya'll make me feel like shit!

I've been running about 2-3 miles 5 times a week for the past 3 weeks and I am only at about 11 minute miles. How the hell do you do 8 minute miles?! I'm also running more for weight loss than anything else and I run up/down hills outside.

Also.. I read that you are suppose to not be out of breath when your running... how the hell do you do that?! I'm so tired after I'm done. What am I doing wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 03:47 PM
Other half of bitter

If it makes you feel any better Steph, I can't run for shit- not even what you are doing. I am out of breath after just 5 minutes going only 5.5.......lol! I just hate running, absolutely dread it.

Al yells at me cuz i don't sweat as much as he does, which means I am not working hard enough on cardio......so i gotta work harder.

It is great for weight loss though, so i need to really start getting better.......have you lost some weight doing it yet? Hang in there.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 03:53 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by michelle95gt
It is great for weight loss though, so i need to really start getting better.......have you lost some weight doing it yet? Hang in there.
I haven't lost weight but I think I'm losing inches. My body feels different. My legs feel more tone.

Believe me, I hate running too but I know that walking isn't going to get me the same results.

Oh... and it's only been 2 weeks, not 3.. I just checked the calendar. It has made a difference already.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 04:22 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Give it a couple more weeks, I think you'll find yourself improving alot. It takes two weeks or so when you start running just to get your mind/body connection going correctly. Then running economy will start setting in, you'll run more efficiently, it will get easier and your time will drop. Running two miles takes about 3200 steps with a 3' stride.

On the walking thing, actually, walking is just as good for losing weight/toning as running is. Its the distance that counts.

If you run 30 minutes, you might run 3 miles. If you walk 30 minutes you might walk 2 miles.

But, if you run 3 miles and you walk 3 miles, you will burn the exact same number of calories. It just takes longer to complete it. About 100 calories per mile.

Now, I'm not talking about Sunday strolls, get the arms pumping, get the legs moving. 15 minute miles walking can be pretty tough.

My wife does about 30-40 minutes of walking with 2lb weights in her hands. I pity the fool that is walking towards her on the sidewalk and doesn't get out of the way.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 05:21 PM
Worship me

Stick with it!! I remember when I started and I couldn't go for half a mile before i had to stop. I eventually got to where I could run about 8 minutes, then 11. Finally i got to where i ran a mile everytime I ran...no matter what. Then I got to two miles...after that I started working on increasing speed.

Just stay at it.

I would have never thought that I could do four miles but I did yesterday... next week I'm going for five baby!!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 09:06 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by AL P
Stick with it!! I remember when I started and I couldn't go for half a mile before i had to stop. I eventually got to where I could run about 8 minutes, then 11. Finally i got to where i ran a mile everytime I ran...no matter what. Then I got to two miles...after that I started working on increasing speed.

Just stay at it.

I would have never thought that I could do four miles but I did yesterday... next week I'm going for five baby!!!
I can run for about 12-15 minutes straight right now and then I have to walk some. I'm in an aerobics class at school and the other day we were running 12 minutes and I did about 1 1/4 miles in that 12 minutes and ran the whole way. I was proud of myself.

I walked/jogged 4 miles today. I'd like to get where I can run most of that before I move up to 5 miles.

01Cobra - I didn't know you burn the same calories walking/running. I know I sweat a hell of a lot more when I'm running. That's actually why I started doing it... I didn't feel like I was doing anything just walking because I wasn't sweating much. And I don't do the Sunday stroll thing either. I have LONG legs so I walk about the same speed most people jog.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 07:24 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by GTChick01
I01Cobra - I didn't know you burn the same calories walking/running. I know I sweat a hell of a lot more when I'm running. That's actually why I started doing it... I didn't feel like I was doing anything just walking because I wasn't sweating much. And I don't do the Sunday stroll thing either. I have LONG legs so I walk about the same speed most people jog.
Sweating is your bodies way of cooling itself down. What ever weight you lose from water loss (like sweating) is replaced rather quickly by drinking water, gatorade, etc. Even if you don't rehydrate right after you run, your body will go into scavenge mode until it brings its water stores back up.

But, I hear what you are saying. For me, there is nothing like coming back from a 6 miles run sweating my butt off. It makes me feel like I've done something. My mom is a walker (4-5 miles a day). When she is in town, I usually will walk with her, instead of my normal running. I just don't get the same "I've done something" feeling from it.

Typically, if I run more than 5 miles, I weigh myself before I run and after and will drink water until I replace any weight loss during the run. A pint of water for each pound I lost.

During the summer, if I'm training for a fall marathon, a 18 mile run will produce about 5 lbs of weight loss for me (even with drinking during the run). Only about 1/2 pound is actual weight loss, the rest is water loss.

In my opinion, from observation (i.e. not scientific), running will produce a much "sleeker" leg line than running. People that only "power walk" tend to have fuller muscles, bigger calves, etc. than people that run.

Before all the ACE certified experts jump on the post and tell me I'm full of crap about walking burning the same amount of calories as running, I've make three assumptions. 1) we are talking miles, not time (2 miles of walking = 2 miles of running, calories wise) 2) we are talking the average person 3) the difference, calories wise is very minute (less than 10% difference).
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 09:34 AM
Worship me

Well I'm about to go over and do some intervals folks...wish me luck!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement