White01Cobra you sack of monkey shit... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 01:11 PM Thread Starter
Worship me

White01Cobra you sack of monkey shit...

4 miles in 42 minutes then I fell victim to a side stitch that I picked up around the 3 mile mark....I was cursing your name the whole way though.....

I think i will be able to get the 5 miles next week though.

What causes a side stitch anyway, just diaphram fatigue or is it dehydration?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 01:27 PM
Floored...

The Stitch

Description:
We've all had this one, a sudden sharp pain in the side of the upper abdomen at the base of the ribs. The side stitch typically strikes when you're really pushing yourself and fades quickly when you slow down or stop. The stitch is particularly common for new runners still adjusting to the rigors of running.

Likely causes:
The pain is caused by a spasm of the diaphragm, the muscle that controls your breathing. There are a number of possible reasons for this. If your breathing isn't controlled and disciplined, the diaphragm may be complaining. If you are running too soon after eating, your heavy stomach may literally be tugging at the ligaments connected to the diaphragm. Or you may simply be running too fast for your body's breathing machinery to keep up.

Remedy:
A stitch will usually go away quickly after just slowing down or stopping. If you're in a race or you just don't want to stop, however, you can often make it go away by bringing your breathing into careful control. Concentrate on belly breathing, pushing your belly out when you breathe in and relaxing it as you breathe out. Take deep breaths on the intake, and exhale suddenly, even noisily. To get the diaphragm to contract in rhythm with your steps, try to inhale and exhale as you land on your left foot. Strange but true, this can help prevent spasms by encouraging the diaphragm to bounce along in sync with your stride.

If the pain is just too much and you have to stop, try bending over and raising your knee on the stitch side while pressing your fingers deep into the painful area and tightening your stomach muscles. Or just walk while belly breathing.
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 01:33 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Lol. Hey, I guarantee you are much stronger for the effort!

A side stitch is because you aren't breathing correctly. You were doing around 10 minutes a mile. I thought we agreed on 12 minute miles (5 miles in 1 hour??). That 2 minutes a mile is a huge thing. When I say not breathing correctly, it usually comes with trying to go to fast. Relax, set it the treadmill at 12 minute miles and go.

You should be able to recite your ABCs without losing your breath if you are running at the proper speed.

Its ok on this long run to take walking breaks. Its about staying in motion for 5 miles. Get a comfortable speed, put a towel over the treadmill display. Run 12 minute miles for a mile, walk for a few minutes, run 12 minutes for a mile, walk for a few minutes...

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 02:01 PM Thread Starter
Worship me

Quote:
Originally posted by 01WhiteCobra
Lol. Hey, I guarantee you are much stronger for the effort!

A side stitch is because you aren't breathing correctly. You were doing around 10 minutes a mile. I thought we agreed on 12 minute miles (5 miles in 1 hour??). That 2 minutes a mile is a huge thing. When I say not breathing correctly, it usually comes with trying to go to fast. Relax, set it the treadmill at 12 minute miles and go.

You should be able to recite your ABCs without losing your breath if you are running at the proper speed.

Its ok on this long run to take walking breaks. Its about staying in motion for 5 miles. Get a comfortable speed, put a towel over the treadmill display. Run 12 minute miles for a mile, walk for a few minutes, run 12 minutes for a mile, walk for a few minutes...
Ok I was thinking of shooting for around 50 to 55 minutes. i'll slow it down a little.

It felt like I was going SLLLLLOOOOOWWW as hell though. It was killing me, guess I just wasn't used to it. What is funny is that is the speed I started off running at that speed when I first started, now its just plain boring. i guess that says something...

On the breathing I was going slow and steady just like you said. I could easily talk and not be winded. It seemed though that the deeper I breathed the worse the stitch got....maybe I should work the hell out of my abs and see if I can get some more stamina in my diaphram area???

I stopped once for a little drink of water when the side stitch hit at 3 miles but that didn't fix it. I know if I hadn't got that stitch i could have made the 5 miles easy...
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 02:11 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by AL P
Ok I was thinking of shooting for around 50 to 55 minutes. i'll slow it down a little.

It felt like I was going SLLLLLOOOOOWWW as hell though. It was killing me, guess I just wasn't used to it. What is funny is that is the speed I started off running at when I first started, now its just plain boring. i guess that says something...

On the breathing I was going slow and steady just like you said. I could easily talk and not be winded. It seemed though that the deeper I breathed the worse the stitch got....maybe I should work the hell out of my abs and see if I can get some more stamina in my diaphram area???

I stopped once for a little drink of water when the side stitch hit at 3 miles but that didn't fix it. I know if I hadn't got that stitch i could have made the 5 miles easy...
If you were going slow, then the side stitch was just your body's way of telling you you were entering uncharted territory. Next time, you shouldn't have a problem with the side stitch.

The purpose of the run is "on your feet" time. Slow is good. When I run my long slow runs, I worry more about time on my feet then distance or speed. Yes, its boring as hell sometimes.

Best thing I've found for side stitches is to slow a little and put your hands over your head and breath as deep as you can.
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 02:16 PM Thread Starter
Worship me

Quote:
If you were going slow, then the side stitch was just your body's way of telling you you were entering uncharted territory. Next time, you shouldn't have a problem with the side stitch.

The purpose of the run is "on your feet" time. Slow is good. When I run my long slow runs, I worry more about time on my feet then distance or speed. Yes, its boring as hell sometimes.

Best thing I've found for side stitches is to slow a little and put your hands over your head and breath as deep as you can.
Yes, that is also another thought I had...uncharted territory. I guess I forgot to mention that THAT was the longest both in time and distance that I have EVER ran in my life.

What do you think I should do as far as running on thursday and saturday? I was thinking about trying to lay down 2.5 miles on thursday and then doing a fast pace on saturday. Share your wisdom!!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 02:57 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

If I was running three times a week training for a 5K (3.1 miles, so its close to what you want), I'd break it up like this, assuming I could run 3 miles in 27 minutes:

Day 1: Long slow boring run, 60 minutes - 90 minutes depending on how you feel. If you start the run and after 60 minutes you feel ok, go a little long. Don't worry about speed or distance. Its all about staying on your feet.

Day 2: Intervals. 3 miles in 24 minutes is about 7.5 MPH. Warm up by running slow for a few minutes. Crank the treadmill up to 7.5MPH (about 3 miles in 24 minutes) for a 1/4 mile. Slow back down to 5.5 MPH or so (adjust the time so you aren't walking but you can feel your legs recovering) for 2 minutes. Repeat until you have run 4 1/4 miles. Each week, bring up the MPH a little until you can do these at 8.5MPH on the treadmill. If you have the time, slowly increase the reps until you are doing 6-8 1/4 miles.

Day 3: Run 3 miles somewhere between 6.5MPH and 7.5MPH.

Day 3 is just to keep your legs moving. Day 2 will teach your feet to move at 8 minutes a mile or faster for an extended period of time. Day 1 will give your body the mental fortitude to hang in there. Day 2 will be teach your legs to move at a pace faster than 8 minutes a mile, which will help improve your running economy.

If I added one more day, I'd throw in a day like day 2, except move the distance of the interval to 1/2 mile and lower the MPH to about 7 MPH with 3-4 minutes of 5.5 MPH in between for 4 reps. This will help your running economy plus your "sharpness".
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 06:03 PM Thread Starter
Worship me

Quote:
If I was running three times a week training for a 5K (3.1 miles, so its close to what you want), I'd break it up like this, assuming I could run 3 miles in 27 minutes:

Day 1: Long slow boring run, 60 minutes - 90 minutes depending on how you feel. If you start the run and after 60 minutes you feel ok, go a little long. Don't worry about speed or distance. Its all about staying on your feet.

Day 2: Intervals. 3 miles in 24 minutes is about 7.5 MPH. Warm up by running slow for a few minutes. Crank the treadmill up to 7.5MPH (about 3 miles in 24 minutes) for a 1/4 mile. Slow back down to 5.5 MPH or so (adjust the time so you aren't walking but you can feel your legs recovering) for 2 minutes. Repeat until you have run 4 1/4 miles. Each week, bring up the MPH a little until you can do these at 8.5MPH on the treadmill. If you have the time, slowly increase the reps until you are doing 6-8 1/4 miles.

Day 3: Run 3 miles somewhere between 6.5MPH and 7.5MPH.

Day 3 is just to keep your legs moving. Day 2 will teach your feet to move at 8 minutes a mile or faster for an extended period of time. Day 1 will give your body the mental fortitude to hang in there. Day 2 will be teach your legs to move at a pace faster than 8 minutes a mile, which will help improve your running economy.

If I added one more day, I'd throw in a day like day 2, except move the distance of the interval to 1/2 mile and lower the MPH to about 7 MPH with 3-4 minutes of 5.5 MPH in between for 4 reps. This will help your running economy plus your "sharpness".
Ok cool, will do.

I'm thinking that 3 days is about all i am going to be able to fit in right now. But I guess you could say that my 4th day is football game day...which is going to consist of a lot of 20 second full speed sprints followed by a minute to 90 seconds of rest. Maybe that will do something for me too.

I like that idea of running intervals at 7.5 or greater because I want to increase my full throttle speed.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 10:14 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Ok Al, I have your motivation now...

My 7 year old daughter wants to run her first 5K. I ran 2 miles with her tonight, she paced about 9:15/mile. But she really hasn't ever "run" before, just when she is playing (although does ballet 4 times a week for a total of 6 hours).

We're running the Dad's Day 5K on June 14. I think she'll be pacing an 8-8:15/mile for the 5K.

I'll let you know how she does!
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 10:31 PM
Good times

Just a tip: when I used to run for soccer and it got boring, I say try singing. It passes the time. If you do it out loud, it does use more air, but once you get used to it, you are stronger for it.
post #11 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 08:23 AM Thread Starter
Worship me

Quote:
Ok Al, I have your motivation now...

My 7 year old daughter wants to run her first 5K. I ran 2 miles with her tonight, she paced about 9:15/mile. But she really hasn't ever "run" before, just when she is playing (although does ballet 4 times a week for a total of 6 hours).

We're running the Dad's Day 5K on June 14. I think she'll be pacing an 8-8:15/mile for the 5K.

I'll let you know how she does!
Don't make me come out there and show her whats up!!

Actually until she benches 350 lbs. then I'm still feeling good about myself. I need to stop lifting weights!!!
post #12 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 10:19 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Don't make me come out there and show her whats up!!

Actually until she benches 350 lbs. then I'm still feeling good about myself. I need to stop lifting weights!!!
LOL.

No worry there, although she can bench the olympic bar with collars.
post #13 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 12:42 PM Thread Starter
Worship me

My wife is going to be pissed when she sees that....LOL
post #14 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 03:44 PM
Other half of bitter

Quote:
Originally posted by BossShinoda
Just a tip: when I used to run for soccer and it got boring, I say try singing. It passes the time. If you do it out loud, it does use more air, but once you get used to it, you are stronger for it.
LMAO- i want to see Al running and singing, now that would be a sight!! i want to request "it's raining men"! lol

and yeah......i guess i am going to have to slap on a 45 on each end instead of just 12lbs next time we do chest! lol what a weakling i am!
post #15 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-16-2003, 04:26 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by michelle95gt
LMAO- i want to see Al running and singing, now that would be a sight!! i want to request "it's raining men"! lol

and yeah......i guess i am going to have to slap on a 45 on each end instead of just 12lbs next time we do chest! lol what a weakling i am!
Haha... I just had a scary image of Al doing a Richard Simmons impression...

I'm about to slap some 5 pounders on the 7 yr olds bar, you better get busy gurl.

The scary one is the 2 yr old girl. She carries around a pair of those 5 lb covered dumbells wherever she goes. Does reps curling them.
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 09:48 AM Thread Starter
Worship me

Quote:
Haha... I just had a scary image of Al doing a Richard Simmons impression...

I'm about to slap some 5 pounders on the 7 yr olds bar, you better get busy gurl.

The scary one is the 2 yr old girl. She carries around a pair of those 5 lb covered dumbells wherever she goes. Does reps curling them.
I'm thinking of coming out with my own exercise videos...my first one is going to be titled: "A donut and a fishing pole:run your first mile"

I think its going to be a big hit.
post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 12:46 PM Thread Starter
Worship me

Well I did the intervals, four 1/4 miles at 7.5 mph with 1/4 miles at 5.5 mph in between. It was fairly easy up until the last one. Next week I think I will do 5 1/4 miles on this workout.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 01:40 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Well I did the intervals, four 1/4 miles at 7.5 mph with 1/4 miles at 5.5 mph in between. It was fairly easy up until the last one. Next week I think I will do 5 1/4 miles on this workout.
Good job dude.

If they are becoming too easy, you can also up the mph as well.
post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Worship me

Quote:
Good job dude.

If they are becoming too easy, you can also up the mph as well.
I was thinking about that and I think my game plan is going to be to add some intervals and get up to about 6 or 8 of them and then drop it back to 4 again but bump the speed up .2 mph and just gradually add speed.

I have to get efficient at running at 7.5 mph first. It feels like I am getting close to 100% throttle at that speed right now.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-17-2003, 02:33 PM
Punk Ass Bitch

hah......... you fuckers. I have been doing all of my cardio on the stair stepper and cross trainer for quite a while now but all this talk about running is making me get my fat ass on the treadmill. I never have been much for running because my damn knees hurt and my calf muscles were always bad about cramping up no matter what if I was running/jogging for any decent amount of time. Since I finally found a pair of shoes that fit me good and are really comfortable, maybe I won't have any problems this time around. As far as my stamina goes, I am not worth a shit for running but I am gonna try some of the things you have posted and gradually work myself up to more distance and a faster pace. If there are any results worth talking about, I will post them up in a week or so.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement