What's your opinion on eating around work out times? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 10:35 AM Thread Starter

What's your opinion on eating around work out times?

I know what I've learned about eating right before, and/or during a work out, and right after!!!

But, I want to see what you guys and gals think!!

I've tried the eating at least 2 hours before a work out, and being on an empty stomach for the work out, for blood flow reasons! And, I've also done the whole, eat 2 hours before, then eat a protein bar 30-45 minutes before, another protein bar during the work out, and then a shake immediately after the work out, then a full meal with 2 hours after completing the work out, too!

What do y'all think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 10:42 AM
Hired Hand

When I'm bulking I try to have a protien shake/bar exactly one hour before my workout and then after I have a tablespoon of honey to spike my insulin and prep my body to take in soe clean calories, another shake and some sort of complex carb as soon as I get home from the gym (5 minute drive).

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 11:04 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Got Boost?
When I'm bulking I try to have a protien shake/bar exactly one hour before my workout and then after I have a tablespoon of honey to spike my insulin and prep my body to take in soe clean calories, another shake and some sort of complex carb as soon as I get home from the gym (5 minute drive).
Could you elaborate on the insulin thing? Maybe something I need to try.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 01:37 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by Lethal
Could you elaborate on the insulin thing? Maybe something I need to try.
The honey spikes your blood-sugar which causes a release of insulin allowing your body to absorb more nutrients than normally possible. It's been a while since I read the original source so I don't remember the specifcs, maybe Karen can shed some light on the biology of it all. i just know that it seems to work pretty well and it's not like honey is a high-cost supplement. Give it a shot.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 02:01 PM
Floored...

Personally, I try to eat about an hour before working with weights, not cardio. I like to do cardio on an empty stomach. Try an apple on your way out the door for weight training. The glucose in the apple will hit your liver quickly, providing you with glycegen to give you a boost while working out.

After working out, the faster you can get that protein drink in you, the better. You have like a 45 min window or something, but many body builders seem to believe by experience, that the sooner, the better.

Got Boost is right about the insulin spike. Taking 100 grams or so of some type of simple sugar (dextrose, honey) causes your body to produce an insulin spike. Insulin is the hormone DIRECTLY related to the increase in muscle mass. The insulin spike allows your muscles to absorb more of the nutrients in your blood stream at the time. So this is a perfect time to get your creatine in, protein, etc. Some guys do this twice. Once for their post-workout meal, and again for the last meal of the nite. But the last meal is 100 or so grams of clean complex carbs, such as pasta, or rice, or potatoes.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement