How's my new workout routine? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 10:23 AM Thread Starter
almost ready to race

How's my new workout routine?

I'm a gym newbie and I recently started working out about 6 weeks ago and I'm pretty motivated about it and have a fairly consistent schedule.

I always play raquetball for 30-45 minutes before my workout for cardio. Cardio is my weak point but this is definately building my stamina up and I figure in a few weeks I'll start doing other types of cardio too.

Mon. Chest and back
Tues. Arms and shoulders
Wed. off
Thur. Chest and back
Fri. Arms and shoulders
Sat. off
Sun. off

I haven't been doing anything with legs yet although I need to.

I do 3 sets of 8 reps with machines and HammerStrengths and have the weights to where I usually need a spot for the last couple of reps.

I haven't noticed any increase or decrease in weight or size but my strength has grown incredibly. I increase weights 10 lbs. every week and can bench press 60 more lbs. than when I started.

I'm not taking any supplements yet but am likely to start now.

Am I on the right track here?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 11:02 AM

You're over the hump, which is hard in it's own right. If you're seeing results, then you're doing something right.

What are your goals? If you're looking to add muscle, then I'd say to start supplementation, especially protein and creatine.

Also, vary your routine about every 3-4 weeks. Like instead of doing chest/back, do chest/triceps. Another day do back/biceps. Try to work in your abs and legs as well. Within a week, you might want to this: (If you can, try to only take 2 days off)

Chest/Tris
Back/Bis
Shoulders/Heavy ab work
Legs

You can work up to doing abs every day, like inbetween sets do various crunches to help keep your heart rate up. The heavy ab work I mentioned earlier would be a day you use machines and harder exercises to hit them hard. Hope this info will help, and good luck!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 11:46 AM Thread Starter
almost ready to race

That advice makes sense...my goals are to increase muscle mass a lot and decrease body fat percentage (5 years of college!). I'm 5'11 180 and I want to be cut but stay under 200 lbs.

I'm thinking whey protein, creatine, xenadrine?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by FlowJack
I'm thinking whey protein, creatine, xenadrine?
Yep. Also make sure to eat good (my weakness).
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 04-15-2003, 01:49 PM
Floored...

Re: How's my new workout routine?

Quote:
Originally posted by FlowJack
I'm a gym newbie and I recently started working out about 6 weeks ago and I'm pretty motivated about it and have a fairly consistent schedule.

I always play raquetball for 30-45 minutes before my workout for cardio. Cardio is my weak point but this is definately building my stamina up and I figure in a few weeks I'll start doing other types of cardio too.

Mon. Chest and back
Tues. Arms and shoulders
Wed. off
Thur. Chest and back
Fri. Arms and shoulders
Sat. off
Sun. off

I haven't been doing anything with legs yet although I need to.

I do 3 sets of 8 reps with machines and HammerStrengths and have the weights to where I usually need a spot for the last couple of reps.

I haven't noticed any increase or decrease in weight or size but my strength has grown incredibly. I increase weights 10 lbs. every week and can bench press 60 more lbs. than when I started.

I'm not taking any supplements yet but am likely to start now.

Am I on the right track here?
Your at least ahead of the game by most people. At least you are getting to the gym regularly.

Is there something wrong with your legs or knees preventing you from doing Leg excercises?

Also, break up your routine to allow more work to be done to the core groups. Try this:

Day 1 - Back & Traps
Day 2 - Chest & Abs
Day 3 - Rest Day
Day 4 - Legs
Day 5 - Arms and shoulders
Day 6 - Rest Day

Then, restart the cycle. This should keep you in a growth pattern for at least 8 weeks. Your still a newbie, so switching routines at 4 weeks is pointless right now. Give it a couple months, then swap. Your body is still responding to the stress and rest you give it.

This routine will also allow sufficient rest between days, so that you are never overworking the same muscle groups. Your current workout would look like a bit of overtraining / not enough rest. And REST is whats required for you to grow. Not overtraining.

Abs - Every other day. Its a muscle, just like any other, and it requires rest. Some people train them daily, some don't. Do what you want to do and feel comfortable doing. Try maybe a day off / week of abs to give them some time to recoup.

To gain mass, you need to eat mass. Sure, protein is nice, but you need to be getting 3 meals a day with whole food sources of protein. Engineered protein is far inferior to whole food sources.

Try doing the protein drinks as your snacks/in-between meals and your post-workout shake/drink.

If you weight 180 pounds, you should try getting at least 15 cals / pound of body weight to gain. And an isocaloric diet would be great for your goals.

That means 33% fat, 33% protein, 33% carbs of your daily intake.

15 cals x 180 = 2700 cals / day. Try to divide this into 5 to 6 meals.
1 gram of fat = 9 cals
1 gram of carbs = 4 cals
1 gram of protein = 4 cals

2700 / 6 meals = 450 cals / meal.
450 cals * 33% = 148.5, we'll round this to 149 tho.
149 / 9 cals = 16.5 grams of fat
149 / 4 cals = 37 grams of carbs
149 / 4 cals = 37 grams of protein

So, for each meal, your ideal intake should be 16.5 g FAT, 37 g Protein, 37 g Carbs.

Easy enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement