2.66 miles in 24 minutes... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2003, 10:11 AM Thread Starter
Worship me

2.66 miles in 24 minutes...

I did 2.55 two weeks ago so I guess I'm getting closer....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2003, 04:01 PM
Floored...

Way to go fat boy!

j/k. I wish I could just run 2.55 miles in 2 weeks.....
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2003, 05:20 PM
No, I don't have a turbo

This on a treadmill?

Wife runs outside, and inside on treadmills. Found the treadmills are often not accurate (on the low side distance-wise).

Punxsutawney Jesus, Illuminati Elitist

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-12-2003, 06:18 PM
Lifer

I wish I could really do any type of distance running, my knees don't like it so I bike for cardio. I really hate stationary equipment because you don't get any wind (sometimes that is good if it going against you ) and a 15 minute jog feels like forever because you don't really move and get to see new scenery.

Congrats on the distance
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 10:39 AM Thread Starter
Worship me

Quote:
Originally posted by TurboTodd
This on a treadmill?

Wife runs outside, and inside on treadmills. Found the treadmills are often not accurate (on the low side distance-wise).
Yes, on a treadmill, i really don't have a non concrete place to run outside where I live...i hate to run on concrete.

I like the treadmill because I can slowly increase my speed, a tenth of a mph at a time and gradually get faster and faster. i don't think the distance is totally accurate but, it is accurate relatively speaking.

Its doing SOMETHING, because last night I played BOTH WAYS (right guard on offense and left DE on defense) in the entire second half of a football game and I didn't even get tired.

I hit some poor schmuck like a DART bus last night....man it was FUN!!! I was left DE, their QB and Rb rolled out to their left, I came across the line, hung a right and pursued. Their RB fumbled, our guy picked it up and ran up the right side of the field. I caught one of their players trying to tackle our man and BOOM BITCH....I knocked him completely out of bounds.
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 11:39 AM
Lifer

Gotta love being able to legally hit someone, without a major fight breaking out.

I just came in from running on the treadmill, I do hate it and would rather be out on concrete (not very straight runner, kinda waddle). I went for three miles and ran right under 24 minutes, that was being conserative considering I got 4 hours of sleep last night and drank a little too much at a frat party.

<--weirdo, waking up early after last night
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 12:46 PM
Floored...

LOL! I do the same waddle! Have you ever waddled enough that it screws u up and almost throws u off the machine? Thats some funny shit. : )
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 03:49 PM
Lifer

Mr Evil, you have no idea how many times I thought I was going to fly into this girl that was on another treadmill right next to me . If they just made the damn things wider then I would be fine but with my stance while running, I have to concentrate just to keep on the biatch
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Worship me

Stangcrazy, how big of a guy are you? Just curious, that is picking them up and putting them down pretty good if you are a moderate sized guy...
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 08:19 PM
Time Served

Not sure how good this is but 2 months ago before I f-ed up my toe and started working on my stang again. I ran about 2.5 miles outside w/varying inclines/declines in 24min. I stopped took a 30sec break and ran back. Complete trip took 53min
I'm a small guy just under 6ft 170

Funny that this was posted...I was just trying to figure out if this was a good pace or if I am slow and out of shape

90 Coupe
Turbocharged 308
04 Tacoma
01 WS6 (sold)
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-13-2003, 08:25 PM
Banned

i hate running. i can do the first mile in about 6 minutes give or take (most likely give) 30 seconds or so. its just goes downhill from there though. i just do the excercise bike at my school for 20 minutes. my record in that time is 7.09 miles.
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 06:16 AM
Lifer

I'm 6' 170lbs. but it's all legs man (made for strength not endurance) I've got no upper body.

I don't like running as much as I do biking, my usual routine right now is 60 minutes on the stationary bike at a little over 30 mph.

Jerred
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 09:06 AM Thread Starter
Worship me

Well I'm about 5'10" and 210 lbs. Its funny how extra body weight really slows you down. I'm just trying to get my speed up. I got plenty of upper body strength, hell total body strength for that matter, but carrying all the weight to have that strength makes me slow as hell...
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 09:39 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Congrats dude. That's about a 9 minute mile.

Throw in a slow five mile run every now and then.

You'll be at an 8 minute mile in no time.
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 02:07 PM Thread Starter
Worship me

Quote:
Originally posted by 01WhiteCobra
Congrats dude. That's about a 9 minute mile.

Throw in a slow five mile run every now and then.

You'll be at an 8 minute mile in no time.
How long should it take me to cover 5 miles....maybe an hour? What kind of pace should I use? I never run that slow any more, the slowest I ever go is about 6.4 mph....HELL I'm just happy as a two-dick billy goat that I could run that fast for that long....I started off running at 5.5 mph....LOL
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 03:37 PM
Banned

you have to factor in the stamina level. maybe it will only take you 6 or 7 minutes to do the first mile. do you think youll be able to do that the second mile? probably not. itll get slower and slower as your body tires out.
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 05:05 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by AL P
How long should it take me to cover 5 miles....maybe an hour? What kind of pace should I use? I never run that slow any more, the slowest I ever go is about 6.4 mph....HELL I'm just happy as a two-dick billy goat that I could run that fast for that long....I started off running at 5.5 mph....LOL
LOL.

Yea, 12 minute miles on a 5 sounds about right.

The key is to never loose your breath. A good rule of thumb is you should be able to talk without feeling out of breath. As a matter of fact, on this run, its ok to walk if you need to. Its about staying on your feet moving for 5 miles.

Running like this (where your goal is 3 in 24) does a couple of things. 1) Mind games - you know you can run 5, 3 ain't nothing 2) It helps build a more dense vascular system, something you will need to go faster.

If you are running three times a week, I'd do one longish run (up to 5 miles). Once you are consistently running 5 miles (regardless of pace) its a big boost, because now you now 3 miles ain't shit.

One 3 mile run where you vary speed, speed up, slow down, speed up, slown down, etc. Go a little over your goal pace, then kick it down to about 75% of your goal pace. Something like 125% of your goal pace and then 75% of your goal pace. You should be able to handle a mix of 1:2 where you rest twice as long as your 125% effort. So if you run 1 minute at 125%, run at 75% for 2 minutes.

This does a couple of things, 1) its interval training, which will help speed up your cardio strength. 2) towards the end of the 3 miles, when you can get up to 125% of your goal pace, its a big head game.

Then one run of a constant 3 miles a 9 minutes. Obvisouly, as you improve you can lower your pace per mile.

I would do a full out run/test in two weeks. I think you'll be suprised.

Also, you are at the "cusp". I'm not a phd in running, but I have helped a few people start running. It would take for ever to get them to a 9 minute mile. Once they hit that magic 9 minute mile, 8 minutes came quickly.
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Worship me

Interesting, I will report back in and let you know how it goes.

You are right about the head games....its a big ass head game man....the boredom is worse than anything (treadmill) but I can do it.

What is funny is that on the 24 minute runs I have done, i start off and feel like i constantly want to go faster...10 minutes at 6.3 mph, 7 or 8 minutes at 6.6 mph, 4 minutes at 6.8 mph and then just run my ass off at 7.0 mph until I can finish the shit up...

Tomorrow I'll shoot for the 5 miles....
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 06:34 PM
Banned

you gotta love the feeling you have when you step off of the treadmill. you know, the one that feels like youre still moving. kinda like the lazy river at wet n' wild (i hate the name hurrican harbor). whenever youre in bed that night it still feels like the current is pushing you.
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 06:49 PM
Lifer

I just started running again last night...damn, been a while!

Anyways, I've always been a speed demon out of the hole...but can't maintain speed for shit. I can get the first mile done really quick, and I fall on my face after that.

What's the best way to get endurance going, just practice? Or are there good routines for this?

Just curious...

Thanks
Shawn
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 04-14-2003, 07:00 PM
Banned

breathing correctly. breathe deep. dont take real fast short breaths.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement