What routine to really focus on my chest? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 12:11 PM Thread Starter

What routine to really focus on my chest?

I need a good routine to really focus on my chest. It's my weakest muscle group.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 12:26 PM

Just the simple, no-nonsense work out!

Flat Bench Press
Incline Bench Press
Incline Dumbbell Flyes
Calbe Flyes or Pec Deck
Then finsih off with a couple sets of as many Dips as you can do. EDIT: Lean as far forward as you can, if this doesn't bother your shoulders. This will hit your lower chest really good, going as low as you can, like down to your arm pits. And always warm up your Rotator Cuff before any major upper body work outs! You'll thank me when your 50!

Move as much weight as you can, for 4 to 5 sets of the first two, with 1 to 2 warm up sets, before the heavy weight. Then, 3 to 4 sets of the flyes. If you want to increase strenght more, use dumbbells, instead of barbell, but both will increase mass.

Then on non-chest-work-out days, do 3 sets of 20-25 SLOW push ups in the mornings or nights! Varying your angle! i.e. Plain push ups, feet on ground and hands on a counter push ups, and feet on bed or chair and hands on ground push ups!!

And when I say SLOW, I mean like 4 to 8 seconds up and 4 to 8 seconds down!!!!

Have fun!
post #3 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 01:00 PM Thread Starter

What are flyes?

post #4 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by P.O.S._Dubyuharex
What are flyes?
Lay down on a bench, flat or incline. You'll be in a similar position as dumbbell press, but turn the DBs like you're going to clap your hands, facing each other. Don't put your arms straight, but with a slight bend in the elbows, and lower the weights to the sides, don't let your elbows go past your shoulders (as this can cause damage inside your shoulder joint, even though you see Arnold S. go down the floor practically), getting the full stretch of the chest muscles! Then bring the weights back up, like you're hugging a tree or a millionare!! BIG HUG!! Squeezing the chest as you bring it back up. Try to concentrate on using the chest muscles, not the arms and shoulders to lower & raise the weights!

Start light, until you feel comfortable with the excersise!
post #5 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 01:34 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by BlackandBlueLX
Lay down on a bench, flat or incline. You'll be in a similar position as dumbbell press, but turn the DBs like you're going to clap your hands, facing each other. Don't put your arms straight, but with a slight bend in the elbows, and lower the weights to the sides, don't let your elbows go past your shoulders (as this can cause damage inside your shoulder joint, even though you see Arnold S. go down the floor practically), getting the full stretch of the chest muscles! Then bring the weights back up, like you're hugging a tree or a millionare!! BIG HUG!! Squeezing the chest as you bring it back up. Try to concentrate on using the chest muscles, not the arms and shoulders to lower & raise the weights!

Start light, until you feel comfortable with the excersise!
Gotcha. I did those last night they definetly work your chest.
post #6 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-08-2003, 02:29 PM
Punk Ass Bitch

Each time I work my chest, I always change up my routine and do different shit which seems to help some. One day I will do alot of bench press sets (flat, incline, decline, ect...... ) and the next time I do chest I will do alot of cable flyes and/or dumbell flyes. Maybe it is just me but if I keep changing it up like that, the results seem to show more than if I do the same basic routine each time.
post #7 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 09:40 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinH78
Each time I work my chest, I always change up my routine and do different shit which seems to help some. One day I will do alot of bench press sets (flat, incline, decline, ect...... ) and the next time I do chest I will do alot of cable flyes and/or dumbell flyes. Maybe it is just me but if I keep changing it up like that, the results seem to show more than if I do the same basic routine each time.
I havn't tried that yet. Thanks.

WOuld going more weight with lower reps help me more than lowewr weight and more reps?
post #8 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 12:07 PM
tex
Lifer

Quote:
WOuld going more weight with lower reps help me more than lowewr weight and more reps?
Yes. If you want to stimulate growth and strength increases you should pile on the weight and go for lower rep #s.
post #9 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 12:10 PM

Dumbells and cables gave me the most results, though I hear it's good to mix everything.

Quote:
Yes. If you want to stimulate growth and strength increases you should pile on the weight and go for lower rep #s.
This is true. I started out trying to do 15, but when I went down to 8-10 with a heavier weight, I noticed an improvement.
post #10 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 12:21 PM
Lifer

What is the advantage then of more reps with less weight?

Also, I am trying to increase the size of the lower part of my bicep. What is best for that?

2001 Mustang Bullitt GT #5111 367.6rwhp/378.4rwtq
2004 Black Lightning #789 STOCK: 363.1rwhp/444.8rwtq
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by 5111
What is the advantage then of more reps with less weight?

Also, I am trying to increase the size of the lower part of my bicep. What is best for that?
Got Boost should chime in to answer your first question better. I believe it has to deal with how it breaks down the muscle. Higher weight/lower reps for building more muscle, lower weight/higher reps for defining it.

For the lower part of your biceps, do 1/3 curls starting with your arm extended, and only going 1/3 up. You'll feel it. If you really want your arms to hurt, you can do "21's" in where you would do 7 reps in that beginning position, 7 in the middle, and 7 towards the top.....all in one set.
post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 12:42 PM
Lifer

Thanks, I have tried that but when I fully extend then next day the joint hurts like I over-extended . Should I still extend that far with less wieght, or should I not extend all the way?

Last edited by 5111; 04-09-2003 at 02:17 PM.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 12:51 PM

Again, Aaron (Got Boost) would be the expert. I'd try lowering the weight a bit, and make the trip back down slower (should be that way for all exercises) if you're not already, since that is the part of the exercise that breaks down the muscle fibers more. If you take 1 second to go up, take 2 to go down. Also try holding the bar/cable/dumbell in different positions to work the outsides and insides of the biceps. Keep in mind that the part that is nearest to the elbow is skinniest part of the bicep.
post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 03:47 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

You can do all the fancy Excercises you want.. but if you cant Flatbench right.. might as well not bother.. Flat bench is the MOTHER of chest growth.. get a good grip.. wide enough to where your upper arm is perpendicular to the ground when your upper arm is parrallel.

8-12 reps per set.
if you want bulk.. high reps is NOT where its att.. to bulk up..6-10 reps is ideal.
D.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-09-2003, 06:19 PM
Punk Ass Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by White_lightning
You can do all the fancy Excercises you want.. but if you cant Flatbench right.. might as well not bother.. Flat bench is the MOTHER of chest growth.. get a good grip.. wide enough to where your upper arm is perpendicular to the ground when your upper arm is parrallel.

8-12 reps per set.
if you want bulk.. high reps is NOT where its att.. to bulk up..6-10 reps is ideal.
D.
That reminds me, along with changing up the different excercises I do, I also mix up the number of reps. Like White_lightning said, less reps are good for bulk while high reps are good for leaning up. One week I will do high reps on everything and the next week I will drop the number of reps drastically but bump up the weight a bit. Not only does all this mixing stuff up yield better results for me, it also keeps me from getting boored. You may remember reading a couple of my threads about major gains in strength within a two week period, but during those weeks of gains I wasn't following any type of pattern with my excercises. I would even slack off for a week or so and only lift enough to keep from being stiff and sore. Although I slacked on lifting, I would keep my cardio pretty intense at least five days a week and change around on different machines with it too.

Whatever you do, be sure to post it up and let us know what works best.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-10-2003, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinH78
That reminds me, along with changing up the different excercises I do, I also mix up the number of reps. Like White_lightning said, less reps are good for bulk while high reps are good for leaning up. One week I will do high reps on everything and the next week I will drop the number of reps drastically but bump up the weight a bit. Not only does all this mixing stuff up yield better results for me, it also keeps me from getting boored. You may remember reading a couple of my threads about major gains in strength within a two week period, but during those weeks of gains I wasn't following any type of pattern with my excercises. I would even slack off for a week or so and only lift enough to keep from being stiff and sore. Although I slacked on lifting, I would keep my cardio pretty intense at least five days a week and change around on different machines with it too.

Whatever you do, be sure to post it up and let us know what works best.
What he and White lightning said are right. Mix up your routine. You should never go over 4 weeks doing the same exact thing. Also, even if you have to have someone spot you while using less weight, make sure you have the form correct. It's not about how much you can left, it's about how well you lift what you can.
post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 07:49 AM Thread Starter

Appreciate all the info. It has helped. One more thing......

Does it matter if I'm using free weights or a machine? I found that I can lift more weight and have better form on the machine.

Is this going to slow the growth at all?
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Appreciate all the info. It has helped. One more thing......

Does it matter if I'm using free weights or a machine? I found that I can lift more weight and have better form on the machine.

Is this going to slow the growth at all?
In general, you can build more strength using machines, but you gain more mass using free weights. Again, the best thing to do is use both.
post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 11:04 AM
Floored...

Quote:
Originally posted by Lethal
In general, you can build more strength using machines, but you gain more mass using free weights. Again, the best thing to do is use both.
Wrong.

When you use a machine, you are using LEVER to move the weight. Guess what, that makes it somewhat easier to move more weight with less effort.

Free weights - requires full effort to move the weight, along with utilizing the stabilizer muscles for that particular movement.

This is one of the best reasons to use free weights over machines. Machines overall do not help the growth of the stabilizer muscles that help you push more weight, by keeping your form stricter, which is the #1 required thing to do when lifting. If you dont keep strict form, your mostly wasting your time.

Stabilizer muscles take time and strict form to grow and grow properly.

You know what your stabilizer muscles are when you try to do a bench press with heavy weight and you feel your arms shake while pushing it up and controlling its descent. After time, you WILL notice the difference. This gives you the ability to tack on more weight, and makes you stronger.

And gaining more muscle mass = not getting stronger? Shit, what law of physics does your gym preach?
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Evil
Wrong.

When you use a machine, you are using LEVER to move the weight. Guess what, that makes it somewhat easier to move more weight with less effort.
No, I'm not wrong. Some machines don't even have levers. And the ones that do usually don't have it to where you have an advatage for moving weight.....that's why the machines that have weights attached to themselves are lighter. You're effectively lifting that much weight while really not. Just like gears in a car.

Quote:
Free weights - requires full effort to move the weight, along with utilizing the stabilizer muscles for that particular movement.
And this is true. Hence that you can get more mass from doing free weights. More muscles worked = more muscle growth. But it also doesn't isolate the muscle being worked, which machines do a better job at.

Quote:
And gaining more muscle mass = not getting stronger? Shit, what law of physics does your gym preach?
And that's not what I said. Reread it before you try to sound like a know-it-all. And by the way, the chain of gyms that taught me this info also hired you. Take that however you will.
post #21 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 02:56 PM Thread Starter

Don't make me start kicking some ass in here! I'VE BEEN WORKING OUT!

Thanks for the help guys.

But look at it this way. If I have a really hard time keeping good form on free weights should I stay on the machine untill I can do it right?
post #22 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 03:09 PM

Quote:
But look at it this way. If I have a really hard time keeping good form on free weights should I stay on the machine untill I can do it right?
The best way to work on form is to start out at a lower weight. Watch yourself in a mirror, and even better, have a partner spot you. I've even learned this last week that i wasn't doing something correct, and it kicked my butt when I did. Doing it right is going to be harder, but the results will be better. Remember, it's not how much you can do, it's how well you do it.
post #23 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 03:21 PM
Floored...

Quote:
No, I'm not wrong. Some machines don't even have levers. And the ones that do usually don't have it to where you have an advatage for moving weight.....that's why the machines that have weights attached to themselves are lighter. You're effectively lifting that much weight while really not. Just like gears in a car.
You've already shown your knowledge of machines, especially referring it to the gears in your car. Perhaps Engeering 101 would help you? Check out the basic machines that exist. Then go back to the gym. Then come back and lets discuss.

Quote:
And this is true. Hence that you can get more mass from doing free weights. More muscles worked = more muscle growth. But it also doesn't isolate the muscle being worked, which machines do a better job at.
I beg to differ. If you take the time to learn various free weight and dumbbell excerises, you most certainly CAN isolate the same muscles. Especially with dumbbells. And they arent machines.

Quote:
And that's not what I said. Reread it before you try to sound like a know-it-all. And by the way, the chain of gyms that taught me this info also hired you. Take that however you will.
Funny thing, 24 hour Fitness hasn't taught me a thing yet. Go figure. BTW - I've also embarrased a handful of personal trainers in the past few years that spit out a bunch of shit when in fact they were "guessing" at the answers, instead of taking the time to research their studies.

Perhaps you should stop trying to sound like a know-it-all yourself, and research the facts before you post up a bunch of misinformation, instead of sounding like a retard.

Take that as you will, as I spelled out it pretty clearly.

Last edited by Mr Evil; 04-11-2003 at 03:35 PM.
post #24 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Funny thing, 24 hour Fitness hasn't taught me a thing yet.
It shows.
post #25 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 03:33 PM
Floored...

Quote:
Not neccassarily. Lethal was on the money this time. Get a partner to spot you and work on your form with a weight you can handle. The stabilizer muscles wont grow unless you use them, so the only way to get good form is to practice is.

I'd try dumbbells if you have access to them. Not only does it force you to use good form, but it works each side of your pec/arm individually, not allowing you to cheat from the stronger side.
post #26 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 03:35 PM
Floored...

Quote:
It shows.
Yep. Otherwise, I'd be running around with dumb ass comments and ideas like you.....
post #27 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 03:40 PM

Quote:
Yep. Otherwise, I'd be running around with dumb ass comments and ideas like you.....
I have no idea what you're problem is. I'm passing information that was given to me, and it worked (gained 20+ lbs). I never claimed to be an expert, in fact I referenced one to talk to about doing this.

Point is, you just want to show people that you're better somehow, and don't realize that you come off as an asshole. If you want to know why you have no bridges left, that is why.
post #28 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 03:51 PM

Quote:
[BBut look at it this way. If I have a really hard time keeping good form on free weights should I stay on the machine untill I can do it right? [/B]
BTW, here are some articles to check out.

http://www.24hourfitness.com/html/fi.../free_machine/
http://www.24hourfitness.com/html/fi...icles/res_trn/
http://www.24hourfitness.com/html/fi...cles/strength/
post #29 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 04:04 PM
Floored...

Quote:
I have no idea what you're problem is.
You got personal with the "know-it-all" statement, and the "It Shows" statement. I responded in like fashion.

Quote:
I'm passing information that was given to me, and it worked (gained 20+ lbs). I never claimed to be an expert, in fact I referenced one to talk to about doing this.
You did. I saw that. But when I corrected the mis-information you posted, you took it personally. See above.

Quote:
Point is, you just want to show people that you're better somehow, and don't realize that you come off as an asshole. If you want to know why you have no bridges left, that is why. [/B]
I'm no better than anyone else. Nor do I believe myself to be. I just try to share the information that I have, and correct mis-information. Perhaps the "asshole" is in the delivery? /shrug

I'll see if I can find a "non-asshole" behavioral course in school this summer. If such a thing exists. I better enjoy being an asshole as long as I can.

Believe me, I've never burned a bridge I ever cared to cross again. EVER. And most of those bridges, I just added fire to, because the dick sludge on the other end was already pouring gas on it.

Last edited by Mr Evil; 04-11-2003 at 04:09 PM.
post #30 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 07:41 PM

post #31 of 31 (permalink) Old 04-11-2003, 09:06 PM
Floored...

Come on now. Im not even that big. That dude could seriously whoop me down!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement