Getting ready to start Cardio - can't run, knee issues..... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
My Boy!

Getting ready to start Cardio - can't run, knee issues.....

Last time I tried running / jogging I discovered that I have a knee issue. I thought it mgiht have been a fluke or injury related so I laid off for a few months then tried it again and the pain was back. So I could use a few suggestions for other ways to get my cardio that are easier on the knees. I like to do do it outside though. I was thinking cycling, but what else can ya'll think of?

Wonder if I could do some sprints since the distance would not be that great. Hummm. Love to try that, but that will more than likely agrivate the knee.

Sucks to be falling apart and getting old. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 07:38 AM
No, I don't have a turbo

I have had problems with my right knee. Tried steppers, even just walking. After a bit would get tight and ache.

Wife convinced me to try spinning, and found that I don't have any problem with it.

Look for a spinning class at local gym or university. It's not outdoors, but often the scenery in the class is just as appealing.

Todd
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 08:38 AM

the only thing i could think of doing is swimming

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 08:43 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Hard to dianose knee problems across the Internet, but where is the pain, inside, outside, down the middle?

Also, what type of foot do you have, flat, high arch, etc.?

Lastly, what type of shoe are you running in? Brand, model?
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
My Boy!

Quote:
Originally posted by 01WhiteCobra
Hard to dianose knee problems across the Internet, but where is the pain, inside, outside, down the middle?

Also, what type of foot do you have, flat, high arch, etc.?

Lastly, what type of shoe are you running in? Brand, model?

the pain was inside sort of under the knee cap and also above it to the top of the knee toward the front.

foot is "normal" not a high arch but not flat.

I was running in a crosstrainer Nike at the time. That as last summer, cant' remember the model.

I never played much sports in school or anything and never sustained an injury like that. Also not been in any kind of accident where the knee was effected at all or even close. I ahve no explanation as to why it would start giving me issues other than the fact that my grandfather and uncle both have knee issues and my Grandfather had to have both knee joints replaced. I really dont' want to have to do that.
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 02:47 PM
Floored...

Running is the worst thing for your knees. The impact is hard on the joints.

Best thing - Try a cross trainer. The Reebok Fusion is really good. The EFX crosstrainer is another good one. Stair stepping is good too.

I would personally get into a routine of doing 2 different machines for your cardio, or alternating them between sessions.

I've been doing cross trainers for 2 years and it completely left out the muscles you REALLY use for running. So now, Im paying the price, spending the time getting my run time / distance up by doing ONLY running on a treadmill now. I wish I'd have known the effects a long time ago, as I would have swapped in 10 mins of running at least twice a week. Re-hab is a biatch.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 04:10 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by Todd
the pain was inside sort of under the knee cap and also above it to the top of the knee toward the front.

foot is "normal" not a high arch but not flat.

I was running in a crosstrainer Nike at the time. That as last summer, cant' remember the model.

I never played much sports in school or anything and never sustained an injury like that. Also not been in any kind of accident where the knee was effected at all or even close. I ahve no explanation as to why it would start giving me issues other than the fact that my grandfather and uncle both have knee issues and my Grandfather had to have both knee joints replaced. I really dont' want to have to do that.
Well, depending on how bad you want to run... I'd suggest you go to one of the Run On! Sports stores have have one of them fit you with a pair of running shoes. Everyone that works there is a runner and the owner won the White Rock Marathon at one point in time.

When I first started running back in HS for football, we'd run freakin' miles in cleats. I kept running in college with what ever was the cheapest shoe at Foot Locker, not paying attention to the type of shoe.

I finally, about 15 years ago, switch to a motion control shoe because of my knee pain. Been pain free ever since.

If you are running in the right type of shoes, never had an trauma to your knees before and gradually build up your mileage, you should be able to run pain free.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 04:50 PM
mannish boy

swimming is awesome for you!

Forrest
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 04:51 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by Forrest

Forrest
Yes it is.

<--- bike, run, swim, bike, run, swim, bike, run, swim
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-01-2003, 05:28 PM Thread Starter
My Boy!

Quote:
Originally posted by Forrest

Forrest

Hummmmm.... and with built in cooling effects too! OK, gotta go to Dad's and get him to open up the pool this year.

I don't necessarily have to run, but I know the benefits of it best. That was my main cardio in the past.

It may be good to have some variety though.

Thanks guys!!!
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 03:03 AM

Cycling and running both rock! If running is inducing pain, cycling takes a ton of impact off of your knees (assuming road opposed to mountain bike on trails). Here are a few things to consider...

1) Any knee pain when walking as well? Best to get an MRI/etc. to determine the existance of a miniscus/ACL/MCL/PCL issue or worse.

2) Cycling is solid. Works well in the summer due to rapid airflow to help keep your sweaty ass dry. It's also easy to carry around plenty of H20 and do like I do -- strap your cell to the frame and make it your mobile office.

3) Cycling is not even close to the same zipcode as running regarding cost. Sure, you can grab a bike at Wal-Mart, but that's truly a piece of Wal-Shit... Prices have been coming down a good bit lately, but still expect to drop a good bit of change...

4) Even if your knee is "on vacation," depending on the nature of your injury/issue, you may be able to address the issue and get back to running just fine. I've got surgical scars on both knees yet run 4.5 miles/day. Have a damn good ortho take a look at it -- not the schlong nosher at the McDonald's Hospital Drive Thru...

5) If you do decide to start cycling, plan on a mountain bike. D-town roads/streets all have a bad case of "Johnson Breath" thus my 18 lb. full carbon Trek has done nothing more than decorate the garage ceiling for a long ass time. It's quite simply easier to roll around on something with solid tires that will survive a good bit more than a 7/8" wide wanna-be rubber slut... If you head to a well paved, low traffic cycling area, then a road bike will fit in.

Best luck fixing that jack-stand you call a leg... I've been down that road, yet survived running and cycling (and others) for 16 years.

SP

(it is late at night/early in the morning, hope this post isn't too damn whack!)
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-02-2003, 01:07 PM Thread Starter
My Boy!

As far as walking goes I don't feel any pain in the knees just doing that, Unless I have agrivated it by running , then it is painful whenever it moves. I can feel pressure in there and sort of a "catch" maybe when doing squats so I hav eeliminated those from my workout all together and I seem to be ok doing lunges with weight instead. However on the leg extensions I do feel soemthing in there going on. So not too sure about really killing it on that exercise either. I still do them though. The other way around - leg curls - I feel no pain, so it has something to do with weight above the knee or maybe from the front I guess. ?!?!?

I'm pumped to give cycling a shot again. I have a cheapie mountain bike that is several years old that I let my Brother-in-law borrow some time ago. Maybe I sould get that back and see how I do on a bike and then if it all goes well then look into a nice bike.

The MRI will set me back some serious cheese at this point since I am not on any insurance at the moment so I'll have to wait on that unless my old buddy at the Cancer Center that does MRI's there can still hook me up like he said he could a few years ago. Hummmm....

And there is still swimming. Guess I can do lots of laps in Dad's back yard pool and if I get too tired of that I am sure there is an olympic pool around here somewhere I can get into.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement