Running and VO2 max - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2003, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Floored...

Running and VO2 max

I need to get my running up. bad. I can't run at a decent speed without huffing and puffing like an old man.

Any ideas? I've been trying to incorporate jogging and running on the tread mill right now instead of using cross trainers, but Im still not getting even close.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-26-2003, 11:00 PM

Simplest way, start increasing your running distance and speed a little each week.

Say, if you're running a mile now at 6.0, do that for one week. Then move up to 1.0 mile @ 6.5 or 7.0 for a week. Then either drop back down in speed .5 or 1.0 and increase to 2 or 3 miles for a week. Then increase the speed back up. And so on.

Or, keep your speed constant, whatever you're comfortable with now, and just add an extra mile each week to your run.

It's actually neat, once you get to a certain point when running somewhat long distances, you get to a point where you can probably run for a long time. For me, once I hit 1.5 or 2 miles, I can probably run for several miles. It's just that first mile and a half or so, that SUCK!! But then you get into a groove, and it becomes easy.

Now, take note, I'm not a runner, nor do I like running!!! I don't mind doing interval training (cardio) with fast running/sprints and walking or slow jogging. But I'm not expert when it comes to long distance running, compared to some others that probably know from personal experience. That's just my opinion!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 05:58 AM
Lifer

Vo2 max is based somewhat on lung capacity, most of which is genetics. Lance Armstrong has the lung capacity 2 to 3 times that of a normal human. You can do things to increase your Vo2 (volume of your lungs), but your genetics can put a "cap" on your max. I'm sure 01 white Cobra is more knowledgable on this subject, and hopefully he'll catch this thread for you.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 08:31 AM
Other half of bitter

i am in the same boat. I hate running though. now I mostly do the bike or the stairmaster and every now and then walk/run. For awhile I had worked to build up my running- I started small- mostly walking and then throwing in a minute or two of running here and there. The next day, i would add 30 more seconds of running- adding on more everyday until I could go for 15 minutes without dying. Just working slowly and building up worked for me......of course that was a while back and i am back to huffing and puffing (i have exercise induced asthma and horrible lung capacity----i remember doing the breathing test and the doc telling me to exhale, i was like, i am, that is all i got!) again....time to start over!
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-27-2003, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Floored...

I found a good site last nite.

www.coolrunning.com

Really good. Also, High Intensity Interval Training will also help get you started and back into it. Body For life's method is a good one to look at.

I'll be starting this again today. I gotta get my running up. My VO2 max was like 30.8 based on a test I tried. That SUX!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-28-2003, 05:28 PM
mannish boy

I was gonna say... SPRINTS...

do 100 yard sprints with 1 minute rest between sprints...

pick a nominal number... if you're as bad as me, you'll be dying after 5! LOL!

and then pick an interval at which you add another sprint... once every week, once every two weeks, whatever...

who says you can't do cardio and build muscle at the same time!?

Forrest
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2003, 08:01 PM
Worship me

I like to run before I lift weights. Usually I can do anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5 miles, it really varies and depends on what my legs feel like they can do.

My goal is to run 3 miles in 24 minutes, that is the run you have to be able to perform to get into the 82nd or 101st airborne and I figured that was a good enough goal for me. The other day I did 2.55 miles in 24 minutes, not too bad I don't think for a 210 lb. fatty like me. I have also been able to maintain 7.5 mph for six minutes so far...so i guess I will reach my goal eventually.

I also like the idea of sprints, but I think you have to work them in with your regular routine of running, mainly because the time that you spend running is what increases your lung capacity, at least that is what does it for me. I have to run for about 8 minutes before I feel like I have all the shit cleaned out of there and I can really get the air pumping.

Anyway, I do some 30 and 40 yard sprints, mainly because I play Defensive end on my football team and I have to be able to get up off the ball and sprint 5 yards, then cut in to try to break up the outside run. It can be pretty demanding on the old heart and lungs. I can really tell that the running helps though because my heart rate comes down REALLY fast after a long play.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2003, 10:51 PM
Old School

Quote:
Originally posted by Forrest
I was gonna say... SPRINTS...

do 100 yard sprints with 1 minute rest between sprints...
Ahh, brings back memories of two a days in the hot August sun.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-30-2003, 11:09 PM Thread Starter
Floored...

Quote:
Originally posted by AL P
My goal is to run 3 miles in 24 minutes, that is the run you have to be able to perform to get into the 82nd or 101st airborne and I figured that was a good enough goal for me. The other day I did 2.55 miles in 24 minutes, not too bad I don't think for a 210 lb. fatty like me. I have also been able to maintain 7.5 mph for six minutes so far...so i guess I will reach my goal eventually.
minimum for entrance into the Navy Seal BUD/S program is 1.5 miles in 11.5 mins or faster. Thats a min of 7.83 mph, really, just make it 8 mph.

7.5 mins / mile then, is my goal speed.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 10:23 AM
Worship me

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Evil
minimum for entrance into the Navy Seal BUD/S program is 1.5 miles in 11.5 mins or faster. Thats a min of 7.83 mph, really, just make it 8 mph.

7.5 mins / mile then, is my goal speed.
IMO that would be easier than 7.5 mph for 24 minutes...I fucked my ankle up in the football game yesterday anyway...
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 03-31-2003, 01:42 PM Thread Starter
Floored...

Yep. That would be. But heres the real bitch of it all.

This is the test just to gain entry into BUD/S:

500-yard swim using breast and/or sidestroke in under 12 minutes and 30 seconds
10-minute rest
Perform a minimum of 42 push-ups in 2 minutes
2-minute rest
Perform a minimum of 50 sit-ups in 2 minutes
2-minute rest
Perform a minimum of 6 pull-ups (no time limit)
10-minute rest
Run 1 ½ miles wearing boots and long pants in under 11 minutes and 30 seconds

Talk about carbing up the day before....

You get 3 shots at this test during boot camp and A school. After that, your screwed.

And I have no fucking clue as to how to do a side-stroke properly.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 04-04-2003, 08:02 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr Evil
And I have no fucking clue as to how to do a side-stroke properly.
Think of it as the breaststroke on your side and make adjustments for being on your side. That's about it.

I had 3 friends from HS that went into the Navy specifically to wanting to be SEALS. 1 out of 3 made it in. The only that made it in served 8 years I think as a SEAL.

1 served out his 4 years respectfully.

The other got busted for running a book operation on some carrier stationed in Hawaii, served out the rest of his enlistment in the brig.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement