Leg Workouts.... post em up!! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Worship me

Leg Workouts.... post em up!!

Whose got a good leg workout, I'm talking about a workout that is going to increase your power and strength...

I been doing four sets of squat followed by four sets of deadlift then three or four sets of hacks, leg curl, leg extension then the lateral muscles on the machines where you squeeze your legs in and out.

I don't need anything for tone or definition...I'm trying to hit people like a DART bus when i play football so I'm talking power...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 04:30 PM
Along for the ride

i'd say do either hack squat or squats but not both and then add in leg press, or some call it hip sled i believe. stack the weight on there and get someone to sit on top of it.

marcus

'92 Emerald Green Mustang LX Hatch 5.0
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 08:59 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Skip the hacks, dude. Substitute some leg presses in there. You can probably drop the hip aductors as well. Use all your strength for squats and leg press and extensions/curls for knee stability.

Its important to do some curls to balance out your extensions to add stability around your knees. Alot of the common knee injuries can be attributed to having a bad balance of muscle between your quads and hams.

When I was playing football in HS/College, we used to lay *belly down* on the hack machine and press that way. Puts you into more of a hitting football position. We'd do squats, leg press, belly down hacks in sets of 5, 3 sets of extensions and curls supersetted.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 03:53 PM
tex
Lifer

For building explosive power my favs are Roman/Straight leg deadlifts, lunges and or single leg squats on the Smith Machine, and side squats. I never used any of those when playing football, only after I stuck to just basketball and track, but the power and explosive gains I made were pretty damn impressive. I like one heavy leg day a week, squats, superset curls/extensions, then finish off on the leg press, then one day a week doing the alternate exercises. I usually do hang cleans and a few other plyometric exercises on those days also.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 04:05 PM Thread Starter
Worship me

Quote:
Originally posted by 01WhiteCobra
Skip the hacks, dude. Substitute some leg presses in there. You can probably drop the hip aductors as well. Use all your strength for squats and leg press and extensions/curls for knee stability.

Its important to do some curls to balance out your extensions to add stability around your knees. Alot of the common knee injuries can be attributed to having a bad balance of muscle between your quads and hams.

When I was playing football in HS/College, we used to lay *belly down* on the hack machine and press that way. Puts you into more of a hitting football position. We'd do squats, leg press, belly down hacks in sets of 5, 3 sets of extensions and curls supersetted.
Now see, that is what I need, the front hack machine....we don't have it at my gym.....that is exactly what I need.

The hacks are done with a very close stance and with my feet in front of me, focusing on the quads. I also throw in the curls and extensions too, my knees have always been very strong....IE when I squat I go below parallel.

I do the little hip abductor exercises simply to build lateral strength. As part of our workouts we run pass patterns. i don't try to catch in the game at all (defense) but running the patterns makes for a good sprint workout and helps build that cutting ability. i think it has worked so far as I am getting better at starting and stopping as well as turning.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 04:13 PM
tex
Lifer

Al, side squats (side lunges) will help a lot with cutting and stopping. It doesn't take much weight, just make sure you don't take your knee past your feet, just like a regular lunge.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 05:20 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by AL P
As part of our workouts we run pass patterns. i don't try to catch in the game at all (defense) but running the patterns makes for a good sprint workout and helps build that cutting ability.
Hell, as big as you are, ya'll need to design a goal-line play with you being a receiver. Fake a sprint to the end zone, step back catch a pass, and bulldoze into the end zone. Get out far enough to be isolated on some poor cornerback.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 07:15 PM
DFWMUSTANGS.NET

Quote:
Originally posted by tex
For building explosive power my favs are Roman/Straight leg deadlifts, lunges and or single leg squats on the Smith Machine, and side squats. I never used any of those when playing football, only after I stuck to just basketball and track, but the power and explosive gains I made were pretty damn impressive. I like one heavy leg day a week, squats, superset curls/extensions, then finish off on the leg press, then one day a week doing the alternate exercises. I usually do hang cleans and a few other plyometric exercises on those days also.
mark another one for RDL's, lunges, and lateral lunges.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2003, 08:49 PM Thread Starter
Worship me

Quote:
Originally posted by 01WhiteCobra
Hell, as big as you are, ya'll need to design a goal-line play with you being a receiver. Fake a sprint to the end zone, step back catch a pass, and bulldoze into the end zone. Get out far enough to be isolated on some poor cornerback.
Man I can't catch a cold though, my hands SUCK. I am going to start taking some hand offs this week, I can run the ball just fine and hit people and keep going, dragging them along if I have t but I can't catch shit.

I honestly think my bad hands have a lot to do with my 20/50 vision. Its not bad enough for me to want to get lasik but I think it makes it just bad enough where I can't catch shit unless its a slow little pass or a toss. That split second it takes for me to focus on the ball is an eternity, especially at night.

I did my light leg workout tonight:

Ran a mile and a half first

Squat, below parallel
225X10
235X8
245X6
255X6

Deadlift, traditional narrow stance
225X8
245X8
265X8
285X6

Hacks (close stance feet out in front)
225X10
245X10
265X8

Then I did the abductor exercises, leg curl, leg extension.

I have neglected my legs for a while and am just trying to get my squat back up over 400 lbs. at this point. So far so good, I think i can do that by summer. I do the run at first to wear my ass out just like in a football game....I want the power there even after running my ass off.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement