Okay you Hardgainers... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 04:25 PM Thread Starter
The Alpha Omega Frog

Okay you Hardgainers...

Lets talk equipment. Protective equipment that is....and none of you fellas better start talking about jockstraps and cups!

Protective equipment when lifting. How many of you use gloves...or chalk..or are you a rough around the corners "I use nuttin' but ma bare hands" kinda lfter?

How about weight belts? Any opinions?

As for me, I personally dont use a belt. I very rarely squat near my max, and try to practice good form without it. Havent had any type of lower back pain. Now gloves are a must. Just grabbing barbells (especially when they are brand new) hurts my hands. I got girlie hands.

Anybody use wraps for heavy lifting or lifting in general?

Just curious.

Y2K Supercharged Electric Green GT
The Dallas Diamonds
WPFL 3Peat Superbowl Champions 2004-06
IWFL 2008 Superbowl Champions
Captain*Mike/Sam*League All Pro 2004
Def/LB coach 06-08 season
Defensive Coordinator 09

Dallas Fire Rescue
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 04:34 PM
tex
Lifer

I hate using gloves and wraps, I'm weird about the way the weight feels in my hands. I have used wraps before, when deadlifting or for shrugs, when my grip gives up before my muscles do, but it's been a while since I've had that problem.

I don't use a belt either, the only exercise I'd consider using one for is squating, but I'm not lifting enough weight now to worry about it, and don't like using one.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 04:39 PM
Other half of bitter

I don't use anything, although I wouldn't mind using some gloves.....having calluses on my hands is not attractive, plus it would help on slipping. I don't use a belt at all, not really hardcore or doing enough weight to really necessitate that. Alan used to use one for squats, but someone stole it!

what does drive me crazy is this girl that runs on the treadmill with her weight gloves on....??? wtf?? i just laughed.....she was literally on the treadmill for a good 15 minutes and had her gloves on the entire time.....i guess she thought she looked cool?

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 04:47 PM
Punk Ass Bitch

I'm with tex and michelle on the belt thing as I do not lift enough weight to need one. The gloves are a must have for me because I can't keep a good grip for shit and I have come close to dropping my weights before.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 06:00 PM
Hired Hand

I only use gloves when goin heavy because my forearms would give before the target muscle, otherwise I don't use them in an effort to keep them growing with the rest of my body. I never do heavy squats anymore so no need for a belt, I do my low reps sets on the leg sled.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 11:12 AM
Time Served

I use gloves for pulling exercises only. I do use a belt when when I do deadlifts, squats, and heavy standing overhead presses. When I get into the heavy sets of bench and squats I wrap my elbows and knees. I try to stay away from using straps so that I can increase my grip strength.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 11:34 AM

Re: Okay you Hardgainers...

Try and stay away from straps and pads as much as possible. Eventually your grip and finger strength will bone up with the rest of you. Until you are using really heavy weights it shouldn't be to much of a problem. Glove should be fine so you don't get callouses. Chalk is great. Depending on how much you are squatting a belt is a good idea. the shoulder pads kinda have a tendency to make the weight unstable for alot of people.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 12:36 PM
Timmay

the only time that I ever used straps was when i was throwing up 280+ on hang clean. other than that I haven't found any equipment necessary except for the back belt which was a necessity in college.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 02:53 PM
My Boy!

The bar gets a bit slippery sometiumes so I would like to start using gloves to see if that helps. Never slid yet but not ready to find out how that goes.

I do use a belt for squats and anything else where I feel like I will be needing it. Sort of a just in case thing. I work out at home and don't have the sled there (yet haha - yeah right). So I end up squatting and also having no cable setup I do bent rowing with a lot of weight and I push against the belt to help out a little. Also use it doing Straight Leg Dead Lifts because I use a lot of weight there too. I'd rather be safe than blow a nut out. I'm not big enough to stop now for healing.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
The Alpha Omega Frog

Quote:
Originally posted by Todd
I work out at home and don't have the sled there (yet haha - yeah right).
Haha! Thats what Im talking about. I work out at home as well and dream of having a sled and other equipment.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-09-2003, 07:25 PM
Lifer

I like to use chalk however alot of gyms do not allow it.

-John
-2007 Mustang GT
Sponsored Links
Advertisement