Atkins Diet?? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 03:18 AM Thread Starter
Shakin them haters off!

Location: You've seen mine, Now lets see your's...Come with what you GOT!! No excuses!!
Question Atkins Diet??

Any of yall ever tried that? Started it last October and in about a month and a half lost 25-30 lbs. 1st week-6 lbs, 2nd wk.-5lbs, 3rd wk. 5lbs, 4th wk. 7lbs, 5th wk. 3lbs.. I never exercised during the diet either. Just ate lots of protein and no carbs. Like bacon, meat, fish, eggs. No bread, rice, pasta. My hardest time was giving up milk. There's certain rules and amount of carbs permitted. Anyways gonna get back on it and go at it again. I didn't even gain the weight back and I've been loading on carbs. Key is to eat all day, and never starve.

Keep HATIN motha fucka$!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 03:19 AM Thread Starter
Shakin them haters off!

Location: You've seen mine, Now lets see your's...Come with what you GOT!! No excuses!!
I think I will lift and run during this time. Don't really believe in pills and all that, but does that stuff really work. I mean is that bad for you.

Keep HATIN motha fucka$!
post #3 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 10:29 AM

I've seen several of my friends lose a good amount of weight on this diet without working out or anything like that....I haven't really researched it, but I have heard that its not good to be on this diet for long periods of time because it could possibly do damage to either your liver or kidneys, I can't remember which one...But like I said, what I know is basically from different people that i've talked to, not from any books or websites or anything. I'm sure there are alot of places on the net you could look at for the pros and cons.

post #4 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 10:30 PM Thread Starter
Shakin them haters off!

Yeah I looked into this and they made a story on it on the news. Compared it to the American Heart Assoc. Diet Vs. Atkins Diet.
Atkins won by far. People lost more weight, cholestorol level went down, heart got stronger, and some other stuff, Dont remember. But it works fine. Only thing is your body goes into a shock the first week.

Keep HATIN motha fucka$!
post #5 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 09:30 AM

Yeah, thats how it works, and i've heard that even eating so much as a french fry or a chip can screw things up the first week of the diet... If you can do this diet, you have far more willpower than i do. Good luck
post #6 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 11:57 AM
Other half of bitter

Quote:
Originally posted by Lumberjack77
Yeah, thats how it works, and i've heard that even eating so much as a french fry or a chip can screw things up the first week of the diet... If you can do this diet, you have far more willpower than i do. Good luck
no shit, to truly follow the exact/true atkins diet takes a lot of willpower.....i was reading the list of foods allowed the first week- and it is very limited.....all these weird vegetables you haven't even heard of......and all the off the wall stuff like bamboo shoots etc.....lol....hell, i didn't know what half of it was.....and i am so picky that i wouldn't eat 99% of them anyway. kudos to anyone that can really do it.
post #7 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 12:38 PM
Lifer

Today is day 3 for me on Atkins (Induction stage). The hardest thing for me was giving up sugar (I'm a sugar addict....you have no idea). I'm still working out - but have found myself more lethargic without the carbs. They say that will pass - thank God.

It's actually very easy to stick with. That hardest part is getting into the mindset that FAT is not the enemy - it's carbs. I feel so guilty using butter and eating cheese!!!! But, it's a very big part of the whole thing.

Lumberjack - as far as the kidney thing goes - as long as you drink enough water and have BOTH kidneys, there shouldn't be a problem.

I'm loving this - it's really helping me to control my sugar addiction.

and you can have full fat salad dressing! whoohoo!
post #8 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 05:07 PM
Other half of bitter

Quote:
Originally posted by Marisa
Today is day 3 for me on Atkins (Induction stage). The hardest thing for me was giving up sugar (I'm a sugar addict....you have no idea). I'm still working out - but have found myself more lethargic without the carbs. They say that will pass - thank God.

It's actually very easy to stick with. That hardest part is getting into the mindset that FAT is not the enemy - it's carbs. I feel so guilty using butter and eating cheese!!!! But, it's a very big part of the whole thing.

Lumberjack - as far as the kidney thing goes - as long as you drink enough water and have BOTH kidneys, there shouldn't be a problem.

I'm loving this - it's really helping me to control my sugar addiction.

and you can have full fat salad dressing! whoohoo!
good luck to you- i know the first week must be hard......giving up all sugar is no easy task.

I think i would have a hard time convincing myself it is okay to eat all the things I always tried to stay away from like bacon, cheese, fatty stuff like that......but i guess if you stick to the plan correctly, it works.
post #9 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-05-2003, 10:32 PM Thread Starter
Shakin them haters off!

Hey Marisa stick with it, trust me it works like a charm. Only thing is during your first week when your body goes into shock you will have constant Dhiareah. It's gross but your body is flushin out all the bad. you can drink lots of diet any/cokes and water. After a while you don't even notice it. I think after the first week you are allowed 7 carbs a day, 2nd-12, 3rd, 20. Stayt on the wagon.

Keep HATIN motha fucka$!
post #10 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 01:39 AM
Foxaholic

Atkins...

If you guys really want to know the scoop on this diet and why it "works" and what the health risks are then send me a PM. I think it is great that people are taking action to improve their health. However, make sure that you know the real facts and then decide what is best for you.

Remember... Fat is not the enemy
Protein is not the enemy
Carbs are not the enemy
Sugar (carbs) is not the enemy

Calories are the enemy! If you are taking in more calories than you are using... you will gain weight. Period. Your body needs carbs for energy. Eat a balanced diet (proper amount of kcal for your activity level) and exercise. You will look great in no time!

I am the Program Director for Planet U in Dallas if anyone wants to talk about this or any fitness questions.
post #11 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 03:02 AM Thread Starter
Shakin them haters off!

Re: Atkins...

Quote:
Originally posted by Bad89stang
I am the Program Director for Planet U in Dallas if anyone wants to talk about this or any fitness questions.
I think there are all types of diets for all types of people. Some will work better than others. You have to find the balance Diet for "your" body. Everyone is different, and will act differently when doing different diets.
<----gots any hook-ups to the Planet U?

Keep HATIN motha fucka$!
post #12 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 08:17 AM
Other half of bitter

what is planet U?
post #13 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 08:50 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by M.O.D.
Only thing is during your first week when your body goes into shock you will have constant Dhiareah. It's gross but your body is flushin out all the bad.
Well, I'm happy to say I don't have that problem! And actually, if you do Induction for 2 weeks you can have up to 20 carbs per day. During the entire 2 weeks, than it goes up from there. Buy the book - you may have some misinformation.
post #14 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 09:00 AM
WestRacingRalph

I am on my third week of the atkins and have already lost about 20-25 pounds, its great and not hard to stay on, if you get sugar/candy cravings just get some of the atkins items instead, and pay attention to the net carbs, the atkins endluge peanut butter carbs are great! I feel great on this diet and have a ton more energy!

-Ralph
post #15 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 10:30 AM
Foxaholic

Planet U

I don't want to advertise on here, but a couple of you have asked about my studio. It is a one-on-one personal training studio in North Dallas that includes Nutrition counseling with myself and Suzie, our Registered Dietition. We use methods that work and teach our clients how to make their results a lifestyle. That is the problem with diets such as these. After you are tired of staying on such a strict diet... you find that you still don't know how to eat. Most people move on to the next big thing and the roller coaster continues. Remember that diets are created to publish books and make money for someone. They all cut calories somewhere. Why not eat a balanced diet and have the correct calorie defeceit for you to lose weight?
post #16 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 10:42 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by WestRacingRalph
I am on my third week of the atkins and have already lost about 20-25 pounds, its great and not hard to stay on, if you get sugar/candy cravings just get some of the atkins items instead, and pay attention to the net carbs, the atkins endluge peanut butter carbs are great! I feel great on this diet and have a ton more energy!

-Ralph
Wow!!! What does yout typical menu for a day look like? Are you still doing Induction (less that 20 g of carbs/day)?
I'm on day 4 and have dropped 5 pounds....but I chalk that up to water weight.

I wanna look like Lara Flynn Boyle!
post #17 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 11:02 AM
Other half of bitter

Re: Planet U

Quote:
Originally posted by Bad89stang
I don't want to advertise on here, but a couple of you have asked about my studio. It is a one-on-one personal training studio in North Dallas that includes Nutrition counseling with myself and Suzie, our Registered Dietition. We use methods that work and teach our clients how to make their results a lifestyle. That is the problem with diets such as these. After you are tired of staying on such a strict diet... you find that you still don't know how to eat. Most people move on to the next big thing and the roller coaster continues. Remember that diets are created to publish books and make money for someone. They all cut calories somewhere. Why not eat a balanced diet and have the correct calorie defeceit for you to lose weight?
is it located on preston/frankford? i remember seeing a sign over there i think? You are right though- people have to make it a lifestyle choice....not something they just do for a few weeks or a month.....

Marisa- from the pics I have seen of you, you look great! you don't need to lose any weight- being too skinny isn't that attractive- i think you look perfect as you are. i would kill to look like that!
post #18 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 09:03 PM
Foxaholic

yep

That's the one Michelle
post #19 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-06-2003, 09:25 PM
Lifer

AWWW! That's so sweet to say, Michelle. But you know how it is...I subscribe to the theory that one can never be too rich or too thin...and....well...since I'll never be rich I may as well have something to strive for! I'm kidding, of course...but I wouldn't mind being abnormally thin. which, would be hard for my body structure - think athletic build. but one can try!!
post #20 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 08:51 AM
Other half of bitter

Quote:
Originally posted by Marisa
AWWW! That's so sweet to say, Michelle. But you know how it is...I subscribe to the theory that one can never be too rich or too thin...and....well...since I'll never be rich I may as well have something to strive for! I'm kidding, of course...but I wouldn't mind being abnormally thin. which, would be hard for my body structure - think athletic build. but one can try!!
you look perfect as is from the pics you have posted on here.....i can't speak for all the guys, but i know the majority of them don't really go for that ultra skinny look...i mean no one wants a fatty, but being too skinny is gross! stay as you are! i don't want to see a chick's ribs poking out! Athletic build is great! concentrate on being rich instead! lol
post #21 of 21 (permalink) Old 02-07-2003, 01:45 PM
Mach 1 | 32 V

[fat bastard]...carbs are the enemy...ehhh....don't like carbs..[/fat bastard]

just thought I'd check out your forum GB!

BARBIE LOVES BULLITT991 3.17.07
I'm a Barbie girl...In my Barbie world...
PROUD OWNER: '04 AZURE BLUE MACH 1
Sponsored Links
Advertisement