Running Do's and Don'ts? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-02-2003, 10:32 PM Thread Starter

Question Running Do's and Don'ts?

OK I am 5'8", weigh 200lbs....I decided to go running tonight, i sprinted about 100 yards 3 times (it sucks, but I'm waaay out of shape) with about 5 minute breaks in between....I just want to know how you all got started running, what a good regiment is to follow, etc...Any diet tips would also be appreciated because mine sucks...I'm trying hard to cut out the junk food and cokes. My main goal is to have more endurance when i play hockey because I'm really tired of being winded after 2 or 3 minutes. Sorry for the long post.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 07:23 AM

If your main goal is for endurance then you need to do some distance runs, timed runs, and longer sprints. You can go on a short 20 minute run, or go for a specific distance. When you do sprints, you need longer sprints and less rest time. Don't kill yourself since you are just starting. But make sure you keep control of your breathing and don't go into anaerobic breathing. Any work out you do when breathing anaerobically will be a waste in terms of endurance.

If you have a friend that will do it, get them to run with you. Running by yourself can be pretty hard at times.

Good luck!
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 11:27 AM
Timmay

I would suggest doing a spring workout. I have never played hockey but I would think it is a lot like basketball. There are many people out there that can run 5 miles and then get on the court and be tired in 5 minutes. Stick with sprints because that is what a lot of hockey is.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Tiny Tim
I would suggest doing a spring workout. I have never played hockey but I would think it is a lot like basketball. There are many people out there that can run 5 miles and then get on the court and be tired in 5 minutes. Stick with sprints because that is what a lot of hockey is.
I would have suggested that but he said he was after endurance. Since he said it was for hockey, I suggested a diverse running workout so he could gain endurance while still maintaining his fast twitch fibers.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 08:14 PM
Banned

you wanna run? i say you find a trail, start jogging...lets say for 2 minutes...sprint for 20-30 seconds, then walk fast for 3-4 minutes. keep repeating until youve gone about a mile or two. or you could do this at any high school or middle school track. i know someone who was 15 yrs. old 180 lbs (fat, not muscle) started running at the beginning of summer and by the end of it (about 2 1/2 months) weighed about 150 lbs and then joined a swim team which keeps him in good shape now. hell, just go swimming at a club or take a class at TCC for like 75 bucks a semester and swim there. swimming is one of the best excercises.
post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by poopnut2
you wanna run? i say you find a trail, start jogging...lets say for 2 minutes...sprint for 20-30 seconds, then walk fast for 3-4 minutes. keep repeating until youve gone about a mile or two. or you could do this at any high school or middle school track. i know someone who was 15 yrs. old 180 lbs (fat, not muscle) started running at the beginning of summer and by the end of it (about 2 1/2 months) weighed about 150 lbs and then joined a swim team which keeps him in good shape now. hell, just go swimming at a club or take a class at TCC for like 75 bucks a semester and swim there. swimming is one of the best excercises.
Fartliks are very hard. Especially if you keep jogging between sprints and don't walk.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 08:31 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

If you are developing sports specific conditioning for hockey, why run at all? Get you some inline skates. If you are keep focused, not only will you get the conditioning you are require for hockey (which will be aerobic and anaerobic), you can reinforce correct skating technique as well.

In season, if you play once a week, get on the inlines 2-3 a week. Off-season, 4 times a week.

Skate some distance, 50% speed for 20-30 minutes with a good 90 degree knee bend.

For another 30-40 minutes work on skate control, forward/backward strides, crossunders, turns, etc.

You will get much more out of it, then running some sprints on a football field.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 09:29 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for the responses...I skate all the time, but i still get winded faster than anyone on my team, i just thought running would help me more in the long run.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 11:25 PM
Lifer

get up at 5am, strap on some shoes and hit the pavement. Best workout for your mind and body.

also - if you smoke - quit. I know several hockey players who smoke and it just seems so counterproductive to me.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 11:44 PM
Timmay

Quote:
Originally posted by Marisa
get up at 5am, strap on some shoes and hit the pavement. Best workout for your mind and body.

also - if you smoke - quit. I know several hockey players who smoke and it just seems so counterproductive to me.
haha fuck that. 5 am??? too early. I have done it once and will never do it again. I like working out better at night anyways. I guess that it is just personal preferance.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 10:31 AM Thread Starter

I don't smoke...I know alot of people that do and they say it just kills the lungs and causes you to lose your breath....I can forget about waking up at 5 am, I have a hard enough time making it to my 9:30 classes at school..Maybe I should start going to bed before 3 am
post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 10:35 AM
Banned

I feel your pain. I usually go to slep between 1-2 am and have to be at class @ 9 am. then after that class, i go lift weights for a little over an hour. by noon, im dead. then of course at about 12:30 i have to be at work until 7.
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 10:49 AM
Lifer

01 White Cobra has the best advice. I would think you'd want to build an aerobic "base" first. I've been cycling many years, and am starting to run some to break the monotony. My fitness base is excellent, but running is different than cycling (or skating). Speed skaters and cyclists cross over extremely well (Eric and Beth Heiden were Olympic speed-skaters, and both rode professionaly for the 7-11 cycling team).

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 06:39 PM
Banned

why dont you just work out? dont just run or whatever. why dont you actually lift and run? why do something half-ass? dont contribute the status of america being the "fattest" country in the world.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement