How much does muscle weigh compared to fat? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2003, 06:16 PM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

How much does muscle weigh compared to fat?

Since I've just started working out for about three weeks now, I've been noticing my weight go up instead of down?! I started at 190#'s and have gone up to 198#'s, my body is a lot firmer in the upper body area, and I've dropped dr pepper from 4 a day down to either one or two a day depending on my mood, I drink a ton of water and have started taking the last of the ripped fuel pills I had, going to start using some Hydroxycut next. I've also watched my food intake but havent committed to the whole multiple meal routine. Any advice on how I should kill lose the 'mass'? I'm pretty sure its going to be my diet next, or perhaps more cardio?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2003, 06:22 PM
We lost one.....

Muscle weighs more than fat. And try to forget the weight loss as a number. I'd rather be really cut and defined and weigh 200lbs than to be flabby and 190lbs. I have seen people that really like the results of Hydroxycuts and Ripped Fuel but I'm kinda lazy so I went with Xenadrine. 4 capsules a day as opposed to 6 for the others. Good luck with your training.
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2003, 06:27 PM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

Well I'm 5'10" and would like to be around 180#'s then 200#'s and all cut, although the thought had crossed my mind yesterday when I almost got into a fight

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-02-2003, 08:25 PM
Timmay

a lot of it depends on how much you have worked out in the past. if you are doing a lot of cardio right now and you have never really worked out your leg muscles then you will probably gain weight. on another note, i wouldn't really watch the scale that much. people who say that have lost 3 pounds.. bullshit, drink a lot of water in one day and you can gain 3 pounds. I would focus on what it is doing for your strength/endurance and body appearance. Plus another thing is that you eat more when you work out so that may contribute to weight gain.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 07:26 AM

Muscle weighs more than fat, plus if you work out at 3-4 times/week your body will start to retain more water in order to help make sure you don't dehydrated.
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-03-2003, 08:36 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Uh... 9lbs of fat weighs the same as 9lbs of muscle. That is like asking which ways more a pound of feathers or a pound of bricks.

Muscle is more denser than fat.

A good example is, go to the meat section of your grocery store.

Place a 10lb brisket (high fat) next to a nice 10lb sirlion. Both weigh the same, but the 10lb brisket will be almost twice the size of the sirlion.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 06:05 AM Thread Starter
¯\(º_o)/¯

I think my scales are jacked up, I looked at them today and it said I weigh 185, I must've dropped off a few more kids at the pond then I thought

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 10:58 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by AbecX
I think my scales are jacked up, I looked at them today and it said I weigh 185, I must've dropped off a few more kids at the pond then I thought
It also depends on how often you are weighing yourself, my bodyweight can fluctuate 5lbs or more due to water retension and mild dehydration throughout the week. I'd suggest weighing in once a week on the same scale, at the same time of day, in the same (or similar) clothing.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 01:40 PM
Other half of bitter

Quote:
Originally posted by Got Boost?
It also depends on how often you are weighing yourself, my bodyweight can fluctuate 5lbs or more due to water retension and mild dehydration throughout the week. I'd suggest weighing in once a week on the same scale, at the same time of day, in the same (or similar) clothing.
Try being a chic and having the wonderful water weight/bloating gain every month from your period......it sucks.....i just stay away from the scale then, cuz I will get too depressed. My weight will normally fluctuate about 2-3 pounds either way, up or down, depending on water weight.

i try not to weigh myself too often, i prefer to judge my weight gain/loss by how my clothes fit and how flabby or toned i look in the mirror. Plus lifting weights, I don't notice a lot of weight loss either, since I am developing more muscle and it can get discouraging to see the scale look the same or even go up when you really want to lose 10 pounds....even though you know you are firming up. as long as I can maintain where i am at, since losing over 20 pounds last year, i am happy!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 02-04-2003, 01:48 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by michelle95gt
Plus lifting weights, I don't notice a lot of weight loss either, since I am developing more muscle and it can get discouraging to see the scale look the same or even go up when you really want to lose 10 pounds....even though you know you are firming up.
I know EXACTLY what you mean, I've been hovering around 200lbs for the past two years almost. By the scale alone I haven't done a damn thing, but the mirror and poundages in the gym would tell otherwise. Fitness gains can be measured in numerous way, weight alone is probably one of the least accurate ways to quantify that progress.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement