Results! - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 09:47 AM Thread Starter
My Boy!

Results!

I started that "one set to failure" program about a week ago. The plan is to use a weight where you fail between 8 and 10 reps, then if you fail at 8, next time do 9 if you can or more till you get to 10, then up the weight and go for 8 agian next time and over and over...

On Bench Wed. I had moved to doing 165 nice and slow and controlled like they say to and was only managing 6 reps then 7 on Friday . After the first week I had the 2 day weekend rest and last night I threw the 165 back on there to go for 8 reps (hopefully). Well to my suprise I went all the way to 10. I have to say I was impressed with that gain! I had to double check the weight to make sure I didn't mess up and put lighter on there - it felt light! Then, because I didn't go to failure, I piled on 185 and went 4 reps before I failed.

I feel whimpy only lifting that weight where before I was doing sets with 185 and more, but I was using poor form and I was bouncing the weight up and going too fast. Now with more control and slower movements I foind that I was using too much weight. But gaining like this I will be back up there shortly!

My Resurrected Turbo Mustang website: http://turbostangtodd.com/
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 10:32 AM
Lifer

Good job todd.

At least you realize that correct form returns you better results.

I see so many guys down here in Austin (college at UT) in the gym doing large weight but bouncing it off their chest and doing other stuff wrong (this is just an observation)
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 12:28 PM Thread Starter
My Boy!

Quote:
Originally posted by stangcrazy
Good job todd.

At least you realize that correct form returns you better results.

I see so many guys down here in Austin (college at UT) in the gym doing large weight but bouncing it off their chest and doing other stuff wrong (this is just an observation)
True true. I have never seen a gain like that before and I never have used correct form and the right weight. This is good stuff!!!

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 01:32 PM
P.I.M.P.

That's awesome Todd - glad to hear your results are already coming in... Maybe you'll hit 200 by the middle of Feb.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
My Boy!

Quote:
Originally posted by MaddHatter
That's awesome Todd - glad to hear your results are already coming in... Maybe you'll hit 200 by the middle of Feb.
That would be awesome! People are saying that I am looking bigger too in the last several days! 3 people yesterday. Cool! I am pumped. I want to work out now, but I can't, got to wait till tomorrow night
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 03:33 PM
Punk Ass Bitch

Congrats man! I know exactly how you feel when you notice some results for the first time and it is kick ass.
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 03:40 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by Todd
True true. I have never seen a gain like that before and I never have used correct form and the right weight. This is good stuff!!!
I'd imagine you are eating a bit better too. It takes improvements to both diet and exercise to see serious gains like that. Take note of what's working for you and keep it up.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
My Boy!

The think is that I had been eating better here for a little while and I have seen gains but nothing like this after a week on that new program. And especially when I started using better form! Got the diet down, go the program down, need to work on the hours of sleep though then I will be unstoppable. lol

I might actually hit my goals and early if this keeps up!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 05:41 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
after a week on that new program. And especially when I started using better form! !
Those are two important keys to a succesful workout program, form and variety. Your new program is working because it is shocking the body into learning a new routine, which provides different stresses and angles. Keep this program up as long as the gains are coming, but as soon as you see signs of stagnation, change it up.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-28-2003, 09:13 PM Thread Starter
My Boy!

Quote:
Originally posted by Got Boost?
Those are two important keys to a succesful workout program, form and variety. Your new program is working because it is shocking the body into learning a new routine, which provides different stresses and angles. Keep this program up as long as the gains are coming, but as soon as you see signs of stagnation, change it up.
About how long do you think it will be before I reach that point where the gains stop with this routine? Like what is an average length on one program till that happens with others?

And should I wait for that or throw a week of a different program in there every so often here and there so it doesn't get to that point?
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-29-2003, 10:02 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
About how long do you think it will be before I reach that point where the gains stop with this routine? Like what is an average length on one program till that happens with others?

And should I wait for that or throw a week of a different program in there every so often here and there so it doesn't get to that point?
As long as you are making gains don't change, but after you go through a "lull week" don't assume things will automatically pick back up. Go ahead and change it up untill the next "lull week".

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 12:53 PM Thread Starter
My Boy!

I made a change in the program this week. I went back to a 3 day split. I was doing 1 set to failure - entire body mon, wed and fri. I was seeing great gains till last week and I felt like I was not finished recovering from the last workout. I had really upped the intensity too. I did miss a day once and the next time back I felt much better and seemed to be able to lift more, and on mondays I felt more rested (with 2 days rest in between). So, I am going to see how this feels aver a couple of weeks just hitting each part once every 7 days. Hopefully it wont' be too long of a rest.

But now that I am back to the split I have more time to spend on each muscle so Last night I hit the chest, tri's and shoulders really hard. It just felt like I didn't do enough since I didn't touch the rest of the body. Wierd.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 05:14 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
It just felt like I didn't do enough since I didn't touch the rest of the body. Wierd.
Having intensity is good, but there is such a thing as "too much of a good thing", over-training will halt progress.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-11-2003, 06:15 PM
Punk Ass Bitch

I think I am gonna give this a try next week and see what happens. With my experience here lately of upping my workout weight I might notice even more difference if I change my routine a little.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-12-2003, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
My Boy!

Hopefully I will see good progress again on this split. I definately am not fully recovered from Monday night , so if I as to work the tris again I guess it would be too soon anyway. So that is a good sign.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement