Creatine vs. Protein - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 08:57 PM Thread Starter

Creatine vs. Protein

Ok i was just wondering which is better for building mass? I have been drinking these NASTY protein drinks lately and I really hate them, I just gulp them down real quick. But I have a big jar of 100% pure creatine. Could I replace my protein drinks with some creatine drinks or what do you guys suggest?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 10:48 PM
My Boy!

Nope. You can take the Creatine along with the Protein, and you will need to start drinking a lot more water too.
You'll have to keep getting the protein though to build the muscle. If the protein is that bad, have you tried other brands? Or if you are mixing it with water, try mixing it with fat free skim milk. That greatly improved the taste for me and adds another 8-9 grams of protein per cup.

What Protein are you using?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 11:56 PM
P.I.M.P.

Well they do two different things... Protein builds muscles, Creatine (amino acids) repairs them, least thats my understanding. I'd say use both of em if your trying to build alot of muscle, just be sure to follow the cycle. Too much of either and you'll hurt yourself.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 10:06 AM
Lifer

Re: Creatine vs. Protein

Quote:
Originally posted by 89BlueCoupe
Ok i was just wondering which is better for building mass? I have been drinking these NASTY protein drinks lately and I really hate them, I just gulp them down real quick. But I have a big jar of 100% pure creatine. Could I replace my protein drinks with some creatine drinks or what do you guys suggest?

You should take both if possible. They are not the same in anyway. You need protein to repair muscle tissue, creatine gives you a bit of strength.

-John
-2007 Mustang GT
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 10:36 AM

Re: Creatine vs. Protein

No you cannot switch from one to the other.....it is best to use both at the same time.

Protein is the necessary building block for making new muscle. If you don't have enough protein you willl not get any new muscle mass.

Creatine: When creatine monohydrate is ingested it is stored in the body as creatine phosphate. Creatine is stored in the muscle tissue. This is why when you supplement with creatine you get that plump to your muscles. The cells are actually a little bigger from the extra water and creatine they are retaining.

When you work out your muscles use ATP ( adenosine triphosphate ) for the energy requiered to do the work. Unfortuanantly your body doesn't have alot of this stuff on hand and you run out quickly ( generally your muscles store enough for about 5-10 seconds of intense activity ) Normally your body replenishes these stores by converting glucose ( carbs ) but that takes a while to convert to ATP. Creatine however is converted much more quickly and efficiently.

So basically if you supplement with creatine, the ATP conversion can go on much longer, giving you more energy and power. It enhances your strength by increasing the amount of work your muscles can do during periods of maximum effort ...like lifting weights.

Quote:
Originally posted by 89BlueCoupe

Last edited by EquusCriollo; 01-22-2003 at 10:39 AM.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 11:10 AM
Worship me

Take the creatine BEFORE and the protein AFTER you workout. They compliment each other. If the creatine is good you should be able to do a few more reps at any given weight than without it. At least I can with the junk i use, its a big difference for me.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 11:11 AM
Hired Hand

Having to choose one or the other, take the protien. As other have said, creatine helps with strength and endurance, but without the support of proper nutrition (ample protien intake) and rest, creatine's properties are useless. Protien is a necessary macronutrient used as a bulding block to new muscle growth, creatine is merely a supplement.

I'd suggest trying a couple different brands until you can find one that's palatable for you. I haven't found a direct correlation with cost and flavor, but some of the cheaper protiens I have taken weren't worth the savings, either in taste or bioavailability.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 01:51 PM

bonus point for working the word bioavailability into a post !

Quote:
Originally posted by Got Boost?
Having to choose one or the other, take the protien. As other have said, creatine helps with strength and endurance, but without the support of proper nutrition (ample protien intake) and rest, creatine's properties are useless. Protien is a necessary macronutrient used as a bulding block to new muscle growth, creatine is merely a supplement.

I'd suggest trying a couple different brands until you can find one that's palatable for you. I haven't found a direct correlation with cost and flavor, but some of the cheaper protiens I have taken weren't worth the savings, either in taste or bioavailability.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-22-2003, 07:45 PM Thread Starter

ok cool thanks for the info guys.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 10:27 AM
oh really?

i use n-large by prolab. i like the vanilla flavor but i usually mix the chocolate and vanilla. i even get a craving for it sometimes.
it's got 52g of protien, 88g of carbs and 600 calories per serving.

'93 hatch
'91 ls1 coupe
'86 yamaha razz - pink, with nitrous
'78 puch maxi-luxe
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-23-2003, 08:46 PM Thread Starter

Im using Designer Protein mix. I semi liked the vanilla praline*, but im out of that, now all I have left is chocolate and french vanilla and those arnt too great.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-24-2003, 05:46 PM
Mr_Wheeler

i liked Pro Complex Protien 55 grams of protien and i like Nitro Tec protien. I gained the most from taking Pro Complex.
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-26-2003, 12:12 AM

If you are on a budget , you can't beat egg whites. A dozen large eggs 1.00 ,protein 120 grams , 10 grams per white. Take a half dozen throw them in a blender add 6 ozs pure orange juice and two strawberries , make sure everything is cold , whip it up and voila a balanced blend of 60 grams protein, 35 grams carbs which are comprised of fiber and fruit sugars that are low impact essential carbs , you just took in less than 400 calories to get 60 grams of the most usable protein you can take for less than a buck. Also if you start with the creatine keep your water intake way up and trust me you want to make sure you have enough fiber in your diet if you are taking the straight creatine powder.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement