Anyone tried once set to failure fro gaining? - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 03:32 PM Thread Starter
My Boy!
 
Todd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Tyler, TX
Posts: 5,434
Anyone tried once set to failure fro gaining?

I was reading about a workout using one set to failure with enough weight to make you go to failure by the 10th rep. You work out everything 3 days a week - using mostly just compound movements.

Anyone tried that before?
Todd is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 04:03 PM
Hired Hand
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 36,166
Doesn't seem like enough muscle stimulus to me. Try it for a few weeks and what happens. If you aren't ever sore I'd definitely be skeptical...

Last edited by Big A; 01-21-2003 at 04:58 PM.
Big A is offline  
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 04:34 PM
P.I.M.P.
 
Head Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,868
Ever tried doing a pyramid? Basically you start with your max and rep it as many times as you can, then take off 10lbs and rep that as much as you can, continuing down the chain taking 10lbs off each time till your down to just the bar. A great workout and I promise you'll be sore in the morning... I wouldnt recommend to do it everyday, but it is a great way to end the week and to see your progress if you keep track.
Head Hunter is offline  
 
post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 05:08 PM
iHustle
 
Cmarsh93z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2000
Location: where that Elk and those trees mix
Posts: 8,769
Quote:
Originally posted by MaddHatter
Ever tried doing a pyramid? Basically you start with your max and rep it as many times as you can, then take off 10lbs and rep that as much as you can, continuing down the chain taking 10lbs off each time till your down to just the bar. A great workout and I promise you'll be sore in the morning... I wouldnt recommend to do it everyday, but it is a great way to end the week and to see your progress if you keep track.
I do that every week or two, to switch up. I have heard it called "running the rack", but same thing It works awesome for doing dumbell presses on the bench, for chest. Feels real funny to be straining by the time you are lifting the 20's!

Chris
Cmarsh93z is offline  
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 10:39 PM Thread Starter
My Boy!
 
Todd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Location: Tyler, TX
Posts: 5,434
Quote:
Originally posted by Got Boost?
Doesn't seem like enough muscle stimulus to me. Try it for a few weeks and what happens. If you aren't ever sore I'd definitely be skeptical...
I gave it a try last night and I am sore now. Not as sore on the ones that I should have added extra weight on though, but that makes sense. I definately feel like I did something. From that I can tell that I haven't been pushing myself hard enough up to now. So if nothing else comes out of it at least I will have learned that.

With only hitting each muscle once a week (3 day split) I felt like I was waiting too long between hitting each muscle. But that might have been because of not pushing it harder too. I'll stick to this for a little while and see how it goes. I'll report back with my observations. This might jsut be a big crock. Anyway, the guy I am working out with used to do his whole body each time in the gym so he likes this format. And he is bigger than me, so why argue with that.

Hey, when you Pyramid like that, do you just do one exercise that way, or do you try to do it with several? That would wear a fella out bad it would seem!
Todd is offline  
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-21-2003, 11:54 PM
P.I.M.P.
 
Head Hunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Posts: 3,868
Quote:
Originally posted by Cmarsh93z
I do that every week or two, to switch up. I have heard it called "running the rack", but same thing It works awesome for doing dumbell presses on the bench, for chest. Feels real funny to be straining by the time you are lifting the 20's!

Chris
Hell it's really bad when you get to the bar and you get it up about 10 times then you feel ur arms turn into jello... remember one time a couple of soccer girls were walking by heading out to the fields and I'm on the bench struggling to get the bar up and I hear a couple of em giggle... Really hurts your manhood when a girl giggles @ u working out...
Head Hunter is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome