Alternative to Running - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-09-2003, 11:50 PM Thread Starter
P.I.M.P.

Alternative to Running

I'm looking for a Cardio workout that is easy on the knees... I've played baseball since I was 4 and most of it was behind the plate so my knees are pretty much shot and running is not only painful for my knees but my lungs in this cold weather (maybe its just me) I've been jumping rope but unless I've got music it's kinda boring and I'm not very good at it, and even worse when I start trying to mix it up and do crossovers and shit. In the summer I usually do alot of swimming for various reasons but its too damn cold right now. Just curious what all y'all do for your cardio routine.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 08:12 AM
WE ARE THE CHAMPIONS!

cycling, or spinning. 0 impact on your knees

We're Adopting. Contact us through our website.

http://www.theboyetts.com

You can also LIKE us on Facebook
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 08:20 AM
MFFL!

I personally like the stair stepper. My knees are fine, so I don't know how hard it would be on your knees, but it's one helluva leg workout and cardio at the same time. You might get bored, but I changed the resistance frequently, so before I know it, it's over.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-10-2003, 10:25 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by mustang_marc
I personally like the stair stepper.
Or even easier on the knees is the Elliptical trainer. It's like a stair stepper, but moves in a fluid elliptical motion for less stress on the knees.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 07:57 PM

Walking on a treadmill, at the tallest incline. Makes your body work as hard as it would be running, without all the impact on the joints.... knees, ankles, hips, back.
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-11-2003, 11:55 PM

i would not recommend spinning , you uses a weighted flywheel on the bike with no form of coasting allowed , you have to be smooth and have good cadence to ride these bikes , plus you have to use the brakes or you can get into big trouble , i would use a crosstrainer , it is low impact on the knees and it works the upper body as well ( sorta like a stairmaster , but more like crosscountry sking ) .
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 08:17 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Spinning class if you still like to sweat your ass off (I never feel like I'm working out unless sweat is pouring).

Walking will give you all the cardio benefits if you keep the pace up. A mile walking is just as good for the heart as is a mile running, just takes you longer. Also the calories expended are about the same (mile walking/mile running).

If you still want to run some, go down to Run On! (there are a few around Dallas) and have one of the peeps there look at your feet, gait, weight, height, etc. and put you in a proper pair of running shoes.

These days, a good pair of running shoes are specifically designed for some bio-mechanical flaw.

If I wear a pair of shoes for under-pronation (I over pronate) I could get maybe a mile before my knees are on fire. Wear a proper pair for motion control and I can run a marathon.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 08:49 AM
Punk Ass Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by Got Boost?
Or even easier on the knees is the Elliptical trainer. It's like a stair stepper, but moves in a fluid elliptical motion for less stress on the knees.
The ellliptical crosstrainer is my favorite cardio machine. I used to ride the bike alot but have since turned to the elliptical because IMO it gives a better workout.
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 10:15 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinH78
The ellliptical crosstrainer is my favorite cardio machine. I used to ride the bike alot but have since turned to the elliptical because IMO it gives a better workout.
It's easier on "tha boys" as well.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-13-2003, 10:26 AM
Punk Ass Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by Got Boost?
It's easier on "tha boys" as well.
LMAO...... Yeah, that makes it possible to still wear boxers to the gym even if you are doing cardio.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-14-2003, 12:09 PM

Swimming is a very good cardio workout. I swim at an indoor at least once or twice a month. No matter how good of shape I am in I always have a great workout and am soar the next few days.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement