I've lost 5 to 6 lbs. on the Atkins diet already... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 08:48 AM Thread Starter
Worship me

I've lost 5 to 6 lbs. on the Atkins diet already...

I've been doing it for about two and a half weeks and that is with me eating like a horse on thanksgiving and having two other "cheat days". i don't get out of hand with those days, just allow complex carbs, still very little sugar.

As far as cardio, I been doing a mile to a mile and half on the treadmill three or four times a week.

I'm going to run everyday this week and see if I can lay down my two miles each day just to see what happens.

No loss in strength at all.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 09:19 AM

That's good Al how long have you been on it...?
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 11:24 AM
Hired Hand

Good to hear. I'll be on a high protien diet come January 1. Not Atkins, but close.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-09-2002, 02:05 PM
Lifer

Good deal, man. I've got two friends who just started on I Saturday.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 12:17 PM
MFFL!

Quote:
Originally posted by MustangGirl
That's good Al how long have you been on it...?
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AL P
[B]I've been doing it for about two and a half weeks
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 02:29 PM
Punk Ass Bitch

Now that you have been on it for the 2 - 3 weeks, what is the worse part about it? Any certain things that you have a hard time sticking to doing or not doing?
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-10-2002, 03:47 PM Thread Starter
Worship me

I get strange cravings for odd shit. Like yesterday I wanted a brownie pretty bad for some damn reason. I like sugary shit though so that is not suprising.

Even though I have lost some weight I think the diet has made my strength go up...not sure why.

Last night I did my bench workout:

235X10reps
245X9reps
255X7reps
265X5reps

That is some pretty good weight for me being down 5 to 6 lbs. on body weight (203 to 204 lbs.).
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 03:40 AM
Lifer

Al,

What do your daily meals look like if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks,
Grant
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 06:22 AM
My Boy!

There is a little discount drug store here that has a section devoted th the Atkins stuff. I havent ventured through that though. I guess I'm scared.

Good work man! How much are you expected to loose on that diet anyway?

My Resurrected Turbo Mustang website: http://turbostangtodd.com/
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-11-2002, 08:59 AM Thread Starter
Worship me

I'm thinking I should be pretty ripped at 185 lbs, so that is my goal, we will see though.

My daily meals are pretty light:

Designer Protein shake in the morning ( about 34g of protein)
Some meat, small salad or steamed vegetables and sugar free jello in the afternoon
Designer Protein again right after I get home from working out
Followed right after by more meat and sometimes a serving of vegetables.

Sprinkle in some beef jerky, a couple of pork rinds sometimes (not many, too much fat for me!) and a lot of water.

I think the important thing to remember is that the fat gives you a little energy if you need it.

Another thing is my workout is fairly intense, last night I did 10 sets of shoulder exercises, 4 sets of squats (225X10 reps, 235X 8 reps,255X6 reps,265X2 reps - I was beat!), 4 sets of hacks (245X10 reps,265X8reps,285x7 reps,295X6reps), 4 sets of leg curls, 4 sets of leg extension, 7 sets of abs on machines (not just sit ups, weighted exercises) and 2 sets for my lower back.

My legs are fairly weak at the moment as I have been neglecting them for months. Pretty sad when I can bench 265 more times than squat it! LOL
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-15-2002, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
Worship me

Well it got even better on Thursday, I hit the bench again and did:

235X8
255X8
265X6
275X4

I can't wait to hit it again next week!
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 04:41 PM
Punk Ass Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by AL P
Well it got even better on Thursday, I hit the bench again and did:

235X8
255X8
265X6
275X4

I can't wait to hit it again next week!
I have been seriously thinking of trying this diet after you post up your results because my weak ass is making absolutaly NO progress whatsoever. Each time I make a complete rotation of my workout I bump the weight up a bit and I never can finish my sets. The weight isn't much, only 10lbs or less in most cases, and I simply can't finish my sets. It pisses me off because I am somewhat watching my diet and not eating any shitty foods plus I am taking plenty of vitamins but I am getting absolutely nothing in return.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 05:56 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinH78
It pisses me off because I am somewhat watching my diet and not eating any shitty foods plus I am taking plenty of vitamins but I am getting absolutely nothing in return.
What kind of time period are you talking about? Progress takes time so have a little patience. If you've been at it a while and still aren't going anywhere, there is some factor (such as overall calories, cardio, intensity, hidden calories, etc) that is to explain your stagnation. You can eat a "perfect" diet for weeks on end, but if your calories are too high or you aren't doing enough cardio, you aren't gonna lose weight.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-16-2002, 06:23 PM
Punk Ass Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by Got Boost?
What kind of time period are you talking about? Progress takes time so have a little patience. If you've been at it a while and still aren't going anywhere, there is some factor (such as overall calories, cardio, intensity, hidden calories, etc) that is to explain your stagnation. You can eat a "perfect" diet for weeks on end, but if your calories are too high or you aren't doing enough cardio, you aren't gonna lose weight.
Well, it isn't just loosing weight I am concerned about but the fact that I am gaining absolutely no strength whatsoever is what gets me. I have been pretty dedicated to working out for around two months now except for maybe two weeks or so when I jacked up my arm and couldn't lift shit. The cardio is up there pretty good IMO but you may tell me differently. I go at least 4 days a week in the morning and do 30 minutes of pretty intense cardio and in the evenings I usually do 10 - 15 minutes of cardio to get warmed up before I hit the weights.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 09:36 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinH78
Well, it isn't just loosing weight I am concerned about but the fact that I am gaining absolutely no strength whatsoever is what gets me. I have been pretty dedicated to working out for around two months now except for maybe two weeks or so when I jacked up my arm and couldn't lift shit. The cardio is up there pretty good IMO but you may tell me differently. I go at least 4 days a week in the morning and do 30 minutes of pretty intense cardio and in the evenings I usually do 10 - 15 minutes of cardio to get warmed up before I hit the weights.
That could be part of your problem, to effectively burn fat you must go into a calorie deficiency. Without "fuel" in your body it is near impossible to get stronger while in that deficiency. Pick one goal (strength and size or leaning up) and put all your efforts into that one goal. Once you've reached it, it'll be time to switch your program over to the other goal. I personally find it much easier to lean up first, as It's easier for me to bulk without gaining any extra body fat than it is to lean up while preserving muscle. Put your head fully into leaning up, if you do it right you'll lose very little if any strenght in the process. Then you'll be that much more motivated in your leaner physique to pack on the muscle when the time comes.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #16 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 10:55 AM Thread Starter
Worship me

With this diet I think it is possible to increase strength while losing fat. I'm not so sure that you will gain any mass, you may if you torture your muscles enough with heavy weight, who knows, we will see.

One thing is for sure though, my strength is up on ALL my lifts. And it is directly related to my diet, I am positive now. I can eat some sucrose now and i am tired and sleepy 30 minutes later, it is pretty dramatic. I think I was just in a slump from lack of protein and the constant intake of carbs of some sort or another.

I am going to have to carefully integrate some carbs back into my diet when I come down off of this thing, that is for sure. i don't want to lose the strength benefits that I have seen.

I want to add a few more pounds on the old bench press and weigh 185 lbs. before I let up though.

Kevin, two months is NOTHING. Even if you were to start from nothing if you gained 10 lbs. per month on your bench press you would be doing good. It takes time, you got to stick with it!
post #17 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 12:23 PM
Punk Ass Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by AL P

Kevin, two months is NOTHING. Even if you were to start from nothing if you gained 10 lbs. per month on your bench press you would be doing good. It takes time, you got to stick with it!
I know two months really isn't shit for weight training but the only thing I notice different is my stamina while I am doing cardio because I don't get exhausted like I used to. With the routine I have been following I figured I would at least notice a little increase in strength by now but maybe I need to watch my diet a little more and see what happens. Or should I just keep at it like I am and not expect anything noticeable for a couple more months?
post #18 of 18 (permalink) Old 12-17-2002, 12:47 PM Thread Starter
Worship me

Try eating more protein, and take some creatine before you workout and see what happens.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement