Back and Neck... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Blessed

Post Back and Neck...

A couple of years ago I injured my upper back and neck in a Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu Tournament. My whole spine cracked from my head to the mid part of my back. I still was able to complete the tournament, but about 2:00a.m. the next morning I couldn't turn my head. The pain was killing me for about three weeks. Ever since then I have had mild problems out of it (light back & neck pains, headaches).

I was wondering if anyone has had problems with there neck and back? Is there anything you can do to prevent it from getting worse in the future? I was told that it will get worse the older I get. I don't want to be all screwed up and not be able to move when I'm older.

If I do some exercises on my neck and back, will it help keep it from hurting? What exercises would you reccomend?

------------------
Chop-Chop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 03:17 PM
The Big Matt

very light weight, lots of reps. Honestly stretching is your best bet.

You want to strenghten the muscles in that area, to protect what has been hurt. But you don't want to strain it at all.

Basically I'd say start with no weight, just doing stretches that focus on the area. Then start with some lightweight, small dumbells, and never try to lift anything that causes strain.

Back and Neck injuries are the worst, I injured my neck in Football in Jr High and couldn't play again. But luckily over they years I haven't had any major problems. I've also popped both my knees out of place several times, and can't do any kind of squats, or deep knee bends.

Just take it easy, even if you don't think the ammount of weight you are lifting is "doing anything" it is.

------------------
1990 Titanium LX
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 03:44 PM Thread Starter
Blessed

Back when I was in high school we use to have a neck machine. I haven't seen one anywhere since. I can feel the pain mostly if I try to put my chin on my chest or look to the right.

I was planning on doing alot of Yes and No movements with my head. I just didn't want to take any chances on making it worse. I figured it would be okay. I will probably do like a 100 reps. each.

------------------
Chop-Chop

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 03:50 PM
The Big Matt

yeah, that' would be good, just go slow. Shoulder shrugs, rows, and other light upper back work will help out too.

------------------
1990 Titanium LX
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 04:32 PM

I don't know anything about exercises you should do, but I wanted to say that my brother actually broke his neck years ago. He's had neck aches and headaches, but they aren't getting any worse. So I don't think yours would get any worse either.

------------------

http://andrea_aaron.tripod.com
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-24-2001, 08:29 PM
tex
Lifer

You should periodically go back to your doctor and get x-rayed. When you damage your vertebrae, the pressure on your discs is insane. That pressure may not do much damage immediately, but sometimes when the bones heal, they heal in a way that keeps pressure on your discs. You may have slipped a couple over the years, and not have noticed it, because its gradual. I cracked 3 vert. in my lower back when I was 14, and when I was 18 the doctors found that 2 discs were shifting. Luckily they caught it early, but my Dad didn't catch his, and had to have a couple surgeries 3 years ago to fix the damage. I've also heard of instances where there are small particles of bone that chip off and cause binding in the spinal column, when they get lodged in tight areas, but that doesn't always show up on x-rays, if I remember what was told to me by my doctor correctly.

[This message has been edited by tex (edited 08-24-2001).]
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-26-2001, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Blessed

Yeah, I should have known better though. The people that held the tournament, didn't have the regular rules. But, it was something I could have prevented. I just thought that it was an illegal move.

It was kind of funny though. On the tape that we made. I was looking at the ref. and said is that legal. They looked at me like I was stupid.lol I wanted to break the guys arm while he was taping out. But, control got the best of me.

------------------
Chop-Chop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement