The less I lift, the more I feel it? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-2002, 08:48 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Bitch

Question The less I lift, the more I feel it?

Tonight I changed my routine a little and did less sets of everything but I felt like I got an entirely better workout than usual. When I would do my regular 4 - 5 sets of a particular excercise, the burning feeling in my muscles would be gone in a matter of seconds. Tonight I cut back my sets and did a couple extra reps of everything and I feel like my workout was twice as intense. Does this seem right? My guess would have been the more I do, the better the workout but maybe I am wrong?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 09:29 AM
Hired Hand

Re: The less I lift, the more I feel it?

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinH78
My guess would have been the more I do, the better the workout but maybe I am wrong?
More overall is better, but you need to change it up in the short term. That means you need to "back off" every so often to prepare your body to push forward even harder by using different exercises, heavier/lighter weights, and more/less sets. Your body grows through change, not just buy pushing up heavy weights. You could do the same routine for months slowly upping the poundages, but you will plateau your gains much sooner, as you body adapts to that program and learns that it doesn't need to grow, as it think it can handle what you've got to give.

For me the best way to mix it up is in weekly cycles. I'm always trying to throw in different exercises regardless of the week, but I make sure to change the core movements every two to three weeks to hit each muscle from all posible angles. Also, every week I use a different weight/rep structure on the given exercises I have chosen to perform to futher mix up the program. For example week one will be three exercises per body part in the high rep range of three sets per exercise of 12-14 reps. Week two I'll stay with three exercises per bodypart, but I'll drop down the reps to 8-10 and throw in an extra set (total of four) per exercise to keep the work load up there. Finally on week three I'll go for a heavy mass building week and do four sets of no more than 5 reps, with plenty of rest between to keep it heavy but controlled, and throw in an extra exercise to keep the total numer of reps up there.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 12:23 PM

In general, when you lift using more reps you are toning. When lifting with more sets you are working on muscle strength.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 01:09 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by 92special
In general, when you lift using more reps you are toning. When lifting with more sets you are working on muscle strength.
This is certainly true, but it is still necessary within that high-rep or low-rep program, to add in a little variety to keep the body "confused". Even in a high-rep toning environment, your body can stagnate and grind progress to a halt.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Punk Ass Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by 92special
Yeah, but I kept the weight the same and knocked off a couple of sets.

Anyway, I have a pretty heavy week after this one so I will see what happens next. Thanks for all the information too.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 09:42 PM

Re: Re: The less I lift, the more I feel it?

Quote:
Originally posted by Got Boost?

More overall is better, but you need to change it up in the short term. That means you need to "back off" every so often to prepare your body to push forward even harder by using different exercises, heavier/lighter weights, and more/less sets. Your body grows through change, not just buy pushing up heavy weights. You could do the same routine for months slowly upping the poundages, but you will plateau your gains much sooner, as you body adapts to that program and learns that it doesn't need to grow, as it think it can handle what you've got to give.

For me the best way to mix it up is in weekly cycles. I'm always trying to throw in different exercises regardless of the week, but I make sure to change the core movements every two to three weeks to hit each muscle from all posible angles. Also, every week I use a different weight/rep structure on the given exercises I have chosen to perform to futher mix up the program. For example week one will be three exercises per body part in the high rep range of three sets per exercise of 12-14 reps. Week two I'll stay with three exercises per bodypart, but I'll drop down the reps to 8-10 and throw in an extra set (total of four) per exercise to keep the work load up there. Finally on week three I'll go for a heavy mass building week and do four sets of no more than 5 reps, with plenty of rest between to keep it heavy but controlled, and throw in an extra exercise to keep the total numer of reps up there.
Sounds similar to what Joel and I have been doing. We've been switching back and forth between maxing out one week using about 4-6 reps and about 30-40 more pounds. As opposed to 30-40 less pounds and 8-12 reps.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-2002, 10:32 PM
Lifer

ever heard of supersets?????? anyway I have moved away from lifting heavy and started to lift more efficiently(proper form).
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-10-2002, 01:13 AM
We lost one.....

It looks like I'm toning then. But I'm trying to get rid of my upper thighs. I'm a short guy and every ounce of fat on my body shows. I swear sometimes I think I have a pair of drumsticks for legs! My calves are awesome but I can't seem to shave off any fat on my thighs. So help a brotha out my honeymoon is coming soon and I gotta look good for all the females I can't touch on spring break in Cancun!
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-11-2002, 09:13 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by Mychael101
It looks like I'm toning then. But I'm trying to get rid of my upper thighs. I'm a short guy and every ounce of fat on my body shows. I swear sometimes I think I have a pair of drumsticks for legs! My calves are awesome but I can't seem to shave off any fat on my thighs. So help a brotha out my honeymoon is coming soon and I gotta look good for all the females I can't touch on spring break in Cancun!
A higher rep set scheme can certainly help you burn fat more efficiently, but losing the flub is mostly a function of your diet. Count your calories, watch your saturated fat intake, and stay away from processed foods and refined sugar.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

Sponsored Links
Advertisement