Best way to gain weight/muscle? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 11:36 PM Thread Starter

Best way to gain weight/muscle?

I have been tryin to gain weight/strength for the past few months and have not noticed a big difference. I currently work out around 5 times a week, alternating days with chest/tricep, back/bicep, legs, day off. I do cardio and abs every day. I started taking creatine about 3 weeks ago and have only noticed a little difference. I eat more than enough food and watch what i eat so i dont get too much unhealthy stuff, but i seem to be staying the same size, strength that i have been for the past few months. Any suggestions on what i can do to change this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 07:32 AM
Punk Ass Bitch

Lots of protein. You can get a protein shake mix at just about any health food store or fitness center. If you drink alot of that stuff, you will definitely put on some mass.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 09:28 AM
Hired Hand

Also keep a good eye on your body, overtraining can be detrimental to sold gains. You may be different, but I find hitting each body part hard and heavy only once a week gives me a great building stimulus and provides for plenty of recovery time. Try my push/pull plan. 3 sets per bodypart with reps ranging from a solid 5 to no higher than 10. Give it a few weeks and see how it works for you.

Mon - chest/back
Tue - lats/shoulders
Wed - off
Thu - biceps/triceps
Fri - legs
Sat - off
Sun - off

Throw in abs and calves, alternating them every other day, and maybe a little cardio on your off days if you see a little pudge forming.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 11:15 AM
mannish boy

you're problem is the cardio every day...

how many calories are you eating a day? how many grams of protein? what do you weigh now?

focus on legs... squats, deads, etc. your legs are the largest muscle group in your body and your upper body will only grow as large as your legs...

on upper body focus on compound movements...

eat till it hurts and then eat more...

Forrest
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

I make protein shakes everyday after i work out. I even go get them even if i dont work out. I also have protein at home that i take before i work out. I eat about 5 times a day, just as much as possible. I work my legs out a couple of times a week and run. I play soccer so i have to be in shape. I weigh 176-179 depending on if i just eat or something. I am also 6' maybe 6'1. I am going to try that work out and see what it does for me. Thanks for your input.
Daniel
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 04:11 PM
Punk Ass Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by Daniel6401
I make protein shakes everyday after i work out. I even go get them even if i dont work out. I also have protein at home that i take before i work out. I eat about 5 times a day, just as much as possible. I work my legs out a couple of times a week and run. I play soccer so i have to be in shape. I weigh 176-179 depending on if i just eat or something. I am also 6' maybe 6'1. I am going to try that work out and see what it does for me. Thanks for your input.
Daniel
how old are you?
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 04:55 PM
mannish boy

lotsa squats man... lotsa squats...
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

18 Metabolism is a bitch to me.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 06:00 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
18 Metabolism is a bitch to me.
Enjoy it while you've got it, and put it to good use. Don't use that as an excuse to eat crap.

Last edited by Big A; 10-22-2002 at 01:00 PM.
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Daniel
I'm 6' and was always a hard gainer, and started at about 170. I finally started being more dedicated, and went up to 192. The best way to gain weight is to just eat even more. That's how I got going.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 11:46 AM
Crash Test Dummy

Quote:
Originally posted by Lethal

I'm 6' and was always a hard gainer, and started at about 170. I finally started being more dedicated, and went up to 192. The best way to gain weight is to just eat even more. That's how I got going.
No kidding Mr. "I'll take 50 shrimp"

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 03:31 PM Thread Starter

The thing is i eat like crazy. Is there a special diet any of you went on to gain that extra weight?
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-22-2002, 03:45 PM
tex
Lifer

You're about the size I was when I started trying to gain weight... the first time. I had the same problem with metabolism, so I had to eat like a horse. I ate lots and lots of chicken, obviously. I also loved pasta, which isn't necessarily a negative since you're so active, and still have a great metabolism. Since you're really just looking for mass, and not worrying about staying trim, stock up on oatmeal, eggs, chicken, pasta, and lean red meat.
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 11:34 AM
Punk Ass Newbie

drink lotsand lots of water what is it drink 8 ouces or somthing . just drink lots of water
do as little or no cardio. dont work out everday..eats meats.pasta .protein......mix protein w/ creatine drinks going to be a body building contest coming next month to dallas convenction center

1995 MERCURY COUGAR
4.10 gears...2400 stall converter...tranny cooler...moded tranny w/ 3rd stage trans go shfit kit
ram air.kn cone...70mm svo tbody...maf..inatake tube..portd intake and air inlet tube
u/d pullies.. diablo chip...2.25 single 2-pro flow exhuast system
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-24-2002, 10:17 PM
mannish boy

lots of legs, lots of calories (with your age and metabolism, you can afford to eat "dirty", and lots of sleep...

I was stuck at the 175-185 range for a LONG time... I'm currently in the 220-230 range, granted, it's not pure muscle by any means, but my %BF is about the same... what made the difference? started focusing on my legs more and ate like I was getting paid to do it...

you may think you're eating a lot, but I'm willing to bet you're not really... start trying to put down 4000 clean calories a day and tell me how much you were eating before! LOL!

Forrest <-- no, I don't eat anywhere NEAR that much right now, but I'm getting back in the swing of things... today was my first day back in the gym in a long time... what did I work? LEGS!
post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-25-2002, 12:19 AM
tex
Lifer

They let you wear the Jesus sandals there?
post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-28-2002, 12:22 PM
mannish boy

Quote:
Originally posted by tex
They let you wear the Jesus sandals there?
nope... rat bastards... I managed to get in ONCE (accidently) w/ sandals on... I keep sneaks in my car just for the gym...

I did go do sprints today up at the highschool... barefoot baby!

Forrest
Sponsored Links
Advertisement