Safe appetite suppressants? - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
Safe appetite suppressants?

Are there any?

I hear horror stories about all kinds of stuff. Ripped Fuel kept me from being hungry but it made me feel gross.

I'm not really fat. I'm muscular with a big frame, and most of my body is actually fairly lean for my taste. The problem is that I eat HUGE portions and my stomach is all poofed out most of the time, and it is extremely bloated after I eat or drink. It's the only part of my body that I want to lose weight in.

I try eating several smaller meals instead of one or two huge meals, but it eventually turns into several BIG meals. I just seem to stay hungry, and when I fill up I really fill up, only to be very hungry again a few hours later. Another problem is that I will drink a lot (not alcohol) when I eat. Waiters hate me because I always need a refill, and when I am at home, I drink a gallon or more of milk a day.

I really don't have much discipline when it comes to food. I am not willing to change the type of food I eat, and I will never give up milk. So, my case may be helpless. I just want to eat smaller portions. I find the feeling of hunger to be downright painful and miserable. My mind plays tricks on me and I get moody and sick feeling when I'm hungry. I don't have enough desire to put myself through that. So, I was wondering if there is anything safe that I can take to suppress my appetite.

Last edited by jluv; 10-17-2002 at 04:22 PM.
jluv is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 04:32 PM
Punk Ass Bitch
 
KevinH78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Searcy Arkansas
Posts: 11,088
I know it sounds gay but the slim-fast shakes worked for me. I have a little of the same problem you have about eating too much but I finally got myself away from that. It started out with drinking a couple of those shakes a day whenever I would feel the urge to gorge myself and it usually held me off until a normal meal time. After a few weeks of that I kinda got used to making myself wait until a normal meal time to actualy much down and didn't use the shakes anymore.
KevinH78 is offline  
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 04:38 PM
Hired Hand
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 36,166
I'm right there with ya, I don't have the height, but I've always (well, after high school anyway) been muscular with a little extra around the waist because of a voracious appetite. Whether it was emotional eating, boredom eating, holiday eating, etc. I was always stuffing my face. I got stuck on th whole ECA cycle because I was always trying to correct my eating habits, not correct what was causing those habits. Take a good look inside your head and decide which is more important, the fries, extra potatoes, fast food, etc or a little less bodyfat. In perspective, it's easy to make the right choice.

To answer your question specifically, to keep a certain body composition over the long run there is no easy way. You are what you eat.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Big A is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
Quote:
Originally posted by KevinH78
I know it sounds gay but the slim-fast shakes worked for me. I have a little of the same problem you have about eating too much but I finally got myself away from that. It started out with drinking a couple of those shakes a day whenever I would feel the urge to gorge myself and it usually held me off until a normal meal time. After a few weeks of that I kinda got used to making myself wait until a normal meal time to actualy much down and didn't use the shakes anymore.

Thanks. I may try that, I just hope I don't start downing 10 of those shakes a day.

My problem is definitely discipline. I can't stand to be hungry. I wish I could just shrug it off, or get full on smaller portions. And if I run, swim, or work out it makes me twice as hungry, so I end up feeling like I'm cancelling out any good with bad. Kinda like quitting pot but drinking twice as much beer to compensate.

I don't want to be skinny, buff, or cut. I am happy with my build, except for the pot belly. I just wish there was some kind of vitamin or something that would help me curb the hunger a little bit.
jluv is offline  
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
yes, jluv
 
Join Date: May 2001
Posts: 17,073
Quote:
Originally posted by Got Boost?
You are what you eat.
That means I'm a big bowl of Genghis Grill or a gallon jug of chocolate milk.

Quitting smoking was easy copmpared to the thought of cutting back on either of those.
jluv is offline  
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-17-2002, 05:34 PM
Hired Hand
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 36,166
Quote:
Originally posted by jluv98gt


That means I'm a big bowl of Genghis Grill or a gallon jug of chocolate milk.
Eh, I'm a huge chicken breast and a big ol' bowl of oatmeal. The grass isn't always greener...

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Big A is offline  
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 12:08 PM
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Posts: 670
This company named AdvoCare has some pretty good stuff. You can't buy it in stores though. You have to find a contractor that sales it.
92special is offline  
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 04:09 PM
Other half of bitter
 
michelle95gt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2000
Location: bottom of a dark Scottish lake
Posts: 7,141
i have the same problem- i don't diet- i just love food too much. I have really made an effort to cut back my portions lately and stay away from fried stuff- cutting back on chips and fries is the hardest thing ever!

Jared- what works for me when i start getting hungry- i make myself wait at least 10 minutes- and ask myself again- do i really need to eat? I also just try downing a huge bottle of water when i get the hunger pains and then wait 10mins. and that usually makes me feel full and gets me past the craving to pig out. I find drinking all that water has helped a ton, plus then i have to run upstairs for the bathroom more often after all the water- which means more exercise! lol

I have started bringing an apple with a tblsp of peanut butter for an afternoon snack, so that i am not famished before the gym. It is really hard with the vending machines right outside my office, but i do my best to avoid them. I have stopped drinking so much coke too- another tough one for me.
michelle95gt is offline  
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 04:16 PM
Punk Ass Bitch
 
KevinH78's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2002
Location: Searcy Arkansas
Posts: 11,088
Quote:
Originally posted by michelle95gt
i have the same problem- i don't diet- i just love food too much. I have really made an effort to cut back my portions lately and stay away from fried stuff- cutting back on chips and fries is the hardest thing ever!

Jared- what works for me when i start getting hungry- i make myself wait at least 10 minutes- and ask myself again- do i really need to eat? I also just try downing a huge bottle of water when i get the hunger pains and then wait 10mins. and that usually makes me feel full and gets me past the craving to pig out. I find drinking all that water has helped a ton, plus then i have to run upstairs for the bathroom more often after all the water- which means more exercise! lol

I have started bringing an apple with a tblsp of peanut butter for an afternoon snack, so that i am not famished before the gym. It is really hard with the vending machines right outside my office, but i do my best to avoid them. I have stopped drinking so much coke too- another tough one for me.
Yeah, that is another good thing is to eat a few snacks through the day such as an apple, orange, grapefruit, bananna, or pretty much anything that doesn't have anything to do with a snickers bar. Every couple of weeks or so I will buy some carrots and some fat free Ranch dressing when I am at the grocery store and take that with me to munch on. I try to kinda alternate what I snack on so I don't get tired of any of it and start saying "fuckit" and eating the junk.
KevinH78 is offline  
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 10-18-2002, 04:59 PM
Hired Hand
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 36,166
Quote:
Originally posted by michelle95gt
I have stopped drinking so much coke too- another tough one for me.
Soft drinks will really sneak up on you if you don't watch them. the non-diet versions pack 200+ calories of pure sugar. A couple a day can really add on the calories, especially when you factor in the large cup size at restaraunts and fast-food places. I weened myself off of them completely and drinkwater or skim milk. Neither are very exciting, but both are wet and when ice-cold, do a great job of quenching your thirst.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Big A is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome