I'm trying a no carb diet this week..... - DFWstangs Forums
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Crash Test Dummy
 
Monsoon X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: never never land
Posts: 21,966
Thumbs down I'm trying a no carb diet this week.....

so far I've been really good and strict. But now it is lunchtime and I just can't think of what I want to eat.

I sure want some Tacos!


<--------sick of meat and veggies alone

______________________________
I'm just a poor negro
Monsoon X is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 12:28 PM
Hired Hand
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 36,166
Be careful with super-strict diets, I have found myself going nuts only after a week or two and end up eating all the calories I had saved over the next couple of days. The most effective diet isn't "stric" at all, eat what you want, but just watch the saturated fat and overall calories.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Big A is offline  
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 01:19 PM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: North ATX
Posts: 152
I've been on a super strict low-carb diet for almost a week now, and yeah, it's TOUGH. I have NO choice but to drop >20 pounds ASAP right now though, so this is a helluva way to do it...

Basically, mine consists of:

8 am - Protein/Flax seed oil shake

10:30 am - Same shake, multivitamin, GNC "speed pill"

12 pm - usually 1/2 pounds of smoked turkey from HEB - i treat myself to the Boar's Head stuff like Salsalita, Cajun Turkey, etc.

2:30 pm - another friggin shake if I'm hungry...

6-7 pm - Baked fish (salmon usually), chicken breasts, or something along those lines....a super-lean hamburger patty on the Foreman grill if I'm lazy.

10-11 pm or whenever I am about to go to bed, and after my workout - nasty ass fiber drink. Gotta crap every once in a while...

My workouts are simple. I'm in a position where my number one goal is to LOSE weight, and saving my muscle is a distant second place right now. Therefore, I do 30 minutes of quickly paced cardio sometime during the evening every other day. On the in-between days, I am alterating between dips/pushups and chins.

I lost the initial ~4-5 pounds of water weight right away from the natural diuretic nature of this type of diet, and I figure I can drop 20 pounds in the next month.

I started off at 204, am down to 198, and hope to drop below 180 before getting off the diet and doing a "sensible" diet of watching what I eat, lifting, and doing cardio.

We'll see how it goes. I am going to reward myself for every 5 pound increment I reach with a "sin" meal (on a cardio day) - ie, a couple slices of pizza when I hit 195, a cheeseburger when I hit 190, whatever.


So far, the biggest changes I need to make are to do my cardio in the morning, but life's a bitch, and I just haven't had time yet. Hopefully in the next couple weeks, my schedule will settle down a bit and I can do it like I would prefer. If I can make it to Halloween w/o cheating too much, I'll be ecstatic.

V8 RX7 project, etc.
cobracloud is offline  
 
post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 01:46 PM
Hired Hand
 
Big A's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: Sunny San Diego
Posts: 36,166
Quote:
Originally posted by cobracloud
I've been on a super strict low-carb diet for almost a week now, and yeah, it's TOUGH. I have NO choice but to drop >20 pounds ASAP right now though, so this is a helluva way to do it...

Basically, mine consists of:

8 am - Protein/Flax seed oil shake

10:30 am - Same shake, multivitamin, GNC "speed pill"

12 pm - usually 1/2 pounds of smoked turkey from HEB - i treat myself to the Boar's Head stuff like Salsalita, Cajun Turkey, etc.

2:30 pm - another friggin shake if I'm hungry...

6-7 pm - Baked fish (salmon usually), chicken breasts, or something along those lines....a super-lean hamburger patty on the Foreman grill if I'm lazy.

10-11 pm or whenever I am about to go to bed, and after my workout - nasty ass fiber drink. Gotta crap every once in a while...

My workouts are simple. I'm in a position where my number one goal is to LOSE weight, and saving my muscle is a distant second place right now. Therefore, I do 30 minutes of quickly paced cardio sometime during the evening every other day. On the in-between days, I am alterating between dips/pushups and chins.

I lost the initial ~4-5 pounds of water weight right away from the natural diuretic nature of this type of diet, and I figure I can drop 20 pounds in the next month.

I started off at 204, am down to 198, and hope to drop below 180 before getting off the diet and doing a "sensible" diet of watching what I eat, lifting, and doing cardio.

We'll see how it goes. I am going to reward myself for every 5 pound increment I reach with a "sin" meal (on a cardio day) - ie, a couple slices of pizza when I hit 195, a cheeseburger when I hit 190, whatever.


So far, the biggest changes I need to make are to do my cardio in the morning, but life's a bitch, and I just haven't had time yet. Hopefully in the next couple weeks, my schedule will settle down a bit and I can do it like I would prefer. If I can make it to Halloween w/o cheating too much, I'll be ecstatic.
Sounds like you are on about the same program I am, 'cept my goal is lower percentage, not a specific weight, as I still wanna grow a bit. I want to get below 10% (from about 17% on 9/1) by my b-day (the 27th), and make my abs the present I'll enjoy unwrapping the most. The reward meal is not only a great idea, it's a necessity to keep your sanity, especially as the diet drags along. The three week mark is about when all my ultra-strict diets usually failed so I had to mix it up a little this time. It was 6 weeks on Monday so something is working.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Big A is offline  
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Crash Test Dummy
 
Monsoon X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: never never land
Posts: 21,966
I always weigh on an empty stomach. Mon. I was 202lbs

Today I am 198lbs. The last time I did this little experiment in no carbs I lost 5lbs and a ton of strength! I never did it again.

This time I made a point to get in alot of calories and protein, and make sure I lift heavy and intense. It has seemed to work.

I will leave the protein alone on the weekend and I also plan to eat whatever(carb or sweet) I had a strong craving for during the week once on Sat. and something else on Sun.

Then back to the no carb thing during the week.

______________________________
I'm just a poor negro
Monsoon X is offline  
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 10:47 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: North ATX
Posts: 152
I've done it like that in the past, diet on the week, normal on the weekends, but I found that I was splurging TOO much. Like...an entire pizza on Saturday and a 6 pack watching the game on Sunday. So now my idea is to just eat one GOOD meal that i've been craving in order to reward myself. I may do it every 5 pounds, I may do it once a week (Friday night date, for example). We'll see - it depends on if my date comes through tonight, lol!

Everytime I go no-carb, I learn something new. A few things so far are:

Energy loss - I get it BAD, unless I eat every 3 hours or so. Last night, I went about 5 hours before dinner and could barely get off the couch! Got up, boiled some shrimp, and felt a TON better within minutes after eating.

Water loss - ever taken creatine? You know, you gain like 5 pounds the first week and are all stoked, and brag to your buddies how much muscle you gained? Well, it's all water, and this diet does the OPPOSITE. I found that I will lose almost exactly 5 pounds of water in the first couple days - just the opposite of the bloated 5 pounds of water I would gain during a loading stage of creatine. As such, watch the color of your piss (yeah, yuck, I know) and make sure it is as close to clear as y ou can get it all times, or you will become dehydrated, further fucking with your energy levels. My multivitamin has a shitload of B in it, so even though I drink at least 2 gallons of water a day, my piss will still look like it's neon glowing in the dark...but if it becomes dark yellow, i head straight to the water.

Strictness - cravings OWN me. The last time I did this diet, I made up for the cravings with an entire packet of diet jello EVERY day. Put some artificial whipped cream on there and you can get through anything. Seriously, it has saved me on numerous occasions when the thought of a jelly donut almost made me insane. It's sweet, and doesn't take you out of ketosis.

Constipation - yeah, that's right, gross. You have to add some fiber in there if you ever plan on taking a crap during a no-carb diet. It sucks, and the metamusil is nasty, but it will save your ass, pun intended.

I weighed 197.4 this morning (i always weigh first thing in the morning after I piss, before I eat), and I keep a log of what I eat (roughly) every day, so that I can go back and see what's most effective. Even with all the stress in my life right now, I am confident I will get below 180 before going on a normal "healthy" diet. I'd like to stay at 180 even after the water comes back to me, so my goal is a tad over 175....and a damn nice ripped stomach. Some definition in my back would be great, too!

V8 RX7 project, etc.
cobracloud is offline  
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Crash Test Dummy
 
Monsoon X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: never never land
Posts: 21,966
That's good info man, thanks.

______________________________
I'm just a poor negro
Monsoon X is offline  
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 10:58 AM
Time Served
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: North ATX
Posts: 152
Sorry about the length, though - bored at work, and dreaming of when I will have my 6 pack back!


Also, I keep a list of all the "craving" food I have so that I can make a good choice when I "cheat!"

V8 RX7 project, etc.
cobracloud is offline  
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 12:07 PM
Pimp Juice ca. 1997
 
Roscoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Black at heart
Posts: 12,220
Quote:
Originally posted by cobracloud
Sorry about the length, though - bored at work, and dreaming of when I will have my 6 pack back!


Also, I keep a list of all the "craving" food I have so that I can make a good choice when I "cheat!"
BEER!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
God bless you Roscoe and all you do for humanity and this board in particular.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED32V
You know Roscoe, I used to think that you were some 16 yr.old punk with a speech impediment, but now I want you to marry one of my daughters ...'H'
Roscoe is offline  
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 10:10 PM
Newb
 
lilgeezy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: Irving
Posts: 1,418
ya'll are crazy there is no way i could live like that... just dont eat as much and dont eat after 6 and get a dog or something so you have to run w/ it... easier than that carb thing...
lilgeezy is offline  
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 09:33 AM
Lifer
 
GTChick01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Who gives a fuck?
Posts: 10,174
Quote:
Originally posted by lilgeezy
ya'll are crazy there is no way i could live like that... just dont eat as much and dont eat after 6 and get a dog or something so you have to run w/ it... easier than that carb thing...
Exactly my thoughts! Like I've posted before, my problem is my portion sizes. I could probably out eat all you boys on here. I do eat healthy though. I LOVE chicken and veggies. I hardly ever eat beef (no seafood at all). I have been doing really good at cutting down my portions and I can tell a difference already. I haven't lost any weight, but I can tell with the way my clothes fit. Why is that??
I eat out a lot and that's the hardest part on trying to control portions. It's easy at home though. I think if I can keep it up for another 2 weeks or so my stomach should shrink and these smaller portions will seem like large portions to me.
GTChick01 is offline  
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Crash Test Dummy
 
Monsoon X's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2000
Location: never never land
Posts: 21,966
GTchick- Do you weight train? If so then that's probably why aren't losing weight but, you can tell in your clothes.


Weight doesn't matter, just worry about your clothes size

______________________________
I'm just a poor negro
Monsoon X is offline  
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 11:00 AM
Lifer
 
GTChick01's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2001
Location: Who gives a fuck?
Posts: 10,174
Quote:
Originally posted by Monsoon X
GTchick- Do you weight train? If so then that's probably why aren't losing weight but, you can tell in your clothes.


Weight doesn't matter, just worry about your clothes size
No I don't weight train. Matter of fact, I need to start working out again. I haven't done anything the last 2 weeks because of the weather. I know, weak excuse but hey.
GTChick01 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Reply

Bookmarks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the DFWstangs Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome