I'm trying a no carb diet this week..... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 11:02 AM Thread Starter
Crash Test Dummy

Thumbs down I'm trying a no carb diet this week.....

so far I've been really good and strict. But now it is lunchtime and I just can't think of what I want to eat.

I sure want some Tacos!

<--------sick of meat and veggies alone

Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 12:28 PM
Hired Hand

Be careful with super-strict diets, I have found myself going nuts only after a week or two and end up eating all the calories I had saved over the next couple of days. The most effective diet isn't "stric" at all, eat what you want, but just watch the saturated fat and overall calories.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 01:19 PM
Time Served

I've been on a super strict low-carb diet for almost a week now, and yeah, it's TOUGH. I have NO choice but to drop >20 pounds ASAP right now though, so this is a helluva way to do it...

Basically, mine consists of:

8 am - Protein/Flax seed oil shake

10:30 am - Same shake, multivitamin, GNC "speed pill"

12 pm - usually 1/2 pounds of smoked turkey from HEB - i treat myself to the Boar's Head stuff like Salsalita, Cajun Turkey, etc.

2:30 pm - another friggin shake if I'm hungry...

6-7 pm - Baked fish (salmon usually), chicken breasts, or something along those lines....a super-lean hamburger patty on the Foreman grill if I'm lazy.

10-11 pm or whenever I am about to go to bed, and after my workout - nasty ass fiber drink. Gotta crap every once in a while...

My workouts are simple. I'm in a position where my number one goal is to LOSE weight, and saving my muscle is a distant second place right now. Therefore, I do 30 minutes of quickly paced cardio sometime during the evening every other day. On the in-between days, I am alterating between dips/pushups and chins.

I lost the initial ~4-5 pounds of water weight right away from the natural diuretic nature of this type of diet, and I figure I can drop 20 pounds in the next month.

I started off at 204, am down to 198, and hope to drop below 180 before getting off the diet and doing a "sensible" diet of watching what I eat, lifting, and doing cardio.

We'll see how it goes. I am going to reward myself for every 5 pound increment I reach with a "sin" meal (on a cardio day) - ie, a couple slices of pizza when I hit 195, a cheeseburger when I hit 190, whatever.

So far, the biggest changes I need to make are to do my cardio in the morning, but life's a bitch, and I just haven't had time yet. Hopefully in the next couple weeks, my schedule will settle down a bit and I can do it like I would prefer. If I can make it to Halloween w/o cheating too much, I'll be ecstatic.

V8 RX7 project, etc.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-10-2002, 01:46 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by cobracloud
I've been on a super strict low-carb diet for almost a week now, and yeah, it's TOUGH. I have NO choice but to drop >20 pounds ASAP right now though, so this is a helluva way to do it...

Basically, mine consists of:

8 am - Protein/Flax seed oil shake

10:30 am - Same shake, multivitamin, GNC "speed pill"

12 pm - usually 1/2 pounds of smoked turkey from HEB - i treat myself to the Boar's Head stuff like Salsalita, Cajun Turkey, etc.

2:30 pm - another friggin shake if I'm hungry...

6-7 pm - Baked fish (salmon usually), chicken breasts, or something along those lines....a super-lean hamburger patty on the Foreman grill if I'm lazy.

10-11 pm or whenever I am about to go to bed, and after my workout - nasty ass fiber drink. Gotta crap every once in a while...

My workouts are simple. I'm in a position where my number one goal is to LOSE weight, and saving my muscle is a distant second place right now. Therefore, I do 30 minutes of quickly paced cardio sometime during the evening every other day. On the in-between days, I am alterating between dips/pushups and chins.

I lost the initial ~4-5 pounds of water weight right away from the natural diuretic nature of this type of diet, and I figure I can drop 20 pounds in the next month.

I started off at 204, am down to 198, and hope to drop below 180 before getting off the diet and doing a "sensible" diet of watching what I eat, lifting, and doing cardio.

We'll see how it goes. I am going to reward myself for every 5 pound increment I reach with a "sin" meal (on a cardio day) - ie, a couple slices of pizza when I hit 195, a cheeseburger when I hit 190, whatever.

So far, the biggest changes I need to make are to do my cardio in the morning, but life's a bitch, and I just haven't had time yet. Hopefully in the next couple weeks, my schedule will settle down a bit and I can do it like I would prefer. If I can make it to Halloween w/o cheating too much, I'll be ecstatic.
Sounds like you are on about the same program I am, 'cept my goal is lower percentage, not a specific weight, as I still wanna grow a bit. I want to get below 10% (from about 17% on 9/1) by my b-day (the 27th), and make my abs the present I'll enjoy unwrapping the most. The reward meal is not only a great idea, it's a necessity to keep your sanity, especially as the diet drags along. The three week mark is about when all my ultra-strict diets usually failed so I had to mix it up a little this time. It was 6 weeks on Monday so something is working.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 10:29 AM Thread Starter
Crash Test Dummy

I always weigh on an empty stomach. Mon. I was 202lbs

Today I am 198lbs. The last time I did this little experiment in no carbs I lost 5lbs and a ton of strength! I never did it again.

This time I made a point to get in alot of calories and protein, and make sure I lift heavy and intense. It has seemed to work.

I will leave the protein alone on the weekend and I also plan to eat whatever(carb or sweet) I had a strong craving for during the week once on Sat. and something else on Sun.

Then back to the no carb thing during the week.

post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 10:47 AM
Time Served

I've done it like that in the past, diet on the week, normal on the weekends, but I found that I was splurging TOO much. Like...an entire pizza on Saturday and a 6 pack watching the game on Sunday. So now my idea is to just eat one GOOD meal that i've been craving in order to reward myself. I may do it every 5 pounds, I may do it once a week (Friday night date, for example). We'll see - it depends on if my date comes through tonight, lol!

Everytime I go no-carb, I learn something new. A few things so far are:

Energy loss - I get it BAD, unless I eat every 3 hours or so. Last night, I went about 5 hours before dinner and could barely get off the couch! Got up, boiled some shrimp, and felt a TON better within minutes after eating.

Water loss - ever taken creatine? You know, you gain like 5 pounds the first week and are all stoked, and brag to your buddies how much muscle you gained? Well, it's all water, and this diet does the OPPOSITE. I found that I will lose almost exactly 5 pounds of water in the first couple days - just the opposite of the bloated 5 pounds of water I would gain during a loading stage of creatine. As such, watch the color of your piss (yeah, yuck, I know) and make sure it is as close to clear as y ou can get it all times, or you will become dehydrated, further fucking with your energy levels. My multivitamin has a shitload of B in it, so even though I drink at least 2 gallons of water a day, my piss will still look like it's neon glowing in the dark...but if it becomes dark yellow, i head straight to the water.

Strictness - cravings OWN me. The last time I did this diet, I made up for the cravings with an entire packet of diet jello EVERY day. Put some artificial whipped cream on there and you can get through anything. Seriously, it has saved me on numerous occasions when the thought of a jelly donut almost made me insane. It's sweet, and doesn't take you out of ketosis.

Constipation - yeah, that's right, gross. You have to add some fiber in there if you ever plan on taking a crap during a no-carb diet. It sucks, and the metamusil is nasty, but it will save your ass, pun intended.

I weighed 197.4 this morning (i always weigh first thing in the morning after I piss, before I eat), and I keep a log of what I eat (roughly) every day, so that I can go back and see what's most effective. Even with all the stress in my life right now, I am confident I will get below 180 before going on a normal "healthy" diet. I'd like to stay at 180 even after the water comes back to me, so my goal is a tad over 175....and a damn nice ripped stomach. Some definition in my back would be great, too!

V8 RX7 project, etc.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 10:52 AM Thread Starter
Crash Test Dummy

That's good info man, thanks.

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 10:58 AM
Time Served

Sorry about the length, though - bored at work, and dreaming of when I will have my 6 pack back!

Also, I keep a list of all the "craving" food I have so that I can make a good choice when I "cheat!"

V8 RX7 project, etc.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 12:07 PM
Pimp Juice ca. 1997

Quote:
Originally posted by cobracloud
Sorry about the length, though - bored at work, and dreaming of when I will have my 6 pack back!

Also, I keep a list of all the "craving" food I have so that I can make a good choice when I "cheat!"
BEER!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01WhiteCobra
God bless you Roscoe and all you do for humanity and this board in particular.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOOSTED32V
You know Roscoe, I used to think that you were some 16 yr.old punk with a speech impediment, but now I want you to marry one of my daughters ...'H'
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-11-2002, 10:10 PM
Newb

ya'll are crazy there is no way i could live like that... just dont eat as much and dont eat after 6 and get a dog or something so you have to run w/ it... easier than that carb thing...
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 09:33 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by lilgeezy
ya'll are crazy there is no way i could live like that... just dont eat as much and dont eat after 6 and get a dog or something so you have to run w/ it... easier than that carb thing...
Exactly my thoughts! Like I've posted before, my problem is my portion sizes. I could probably out eat all you boys on here. I do eat healthy though. I LOVE chicken and veggies. I hardly ever eat beef (no seafood at all). I have been doing really good at cutting down my portions and I can tell a difference already. I haven't lost any weight, but I can tell with the way my clothes fit. Why is that??
I eat out a lot and that's the hardest part on trying to control portions. It's easy at home though. I think if I can keep it up for another 2 weeks or so my stomach should shrink and these smaller portions will seem like large portions to me.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 10:37 AM Thread Starter
Crash Test Dummy

GTchick- Do you weight train? If so then that's probably why aren't losing weight but, you can tell in your clothes.

Weight doesn't matter, just worry about your clothes size

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 10-14-2002, 11:00 AM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by Monsoon X
GTchick- Do you weight train? If so then that's probably why aren't losing weight but, you can tell in your clothes.

Weight doesn't matter, just worry about your clothes size
No I don't weight train. Matter of fact, I need to start working out again. I haven't done anything the last 2 weeks because of the weather. I know, weak excuse but hey.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement