Working out at the gym.... - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
The Fastest of the Fast

Working out at the gym....

Has anyone else noticed that most of your muscular ability to lift wieght seems to be in your mind? I have....

Days at the gym seem to be frustrating sometimes, and for a while, I couldnt get my bench up very much at all...but lately Ive been working out with a spotter and my lifts have gone up big time....
Think about your bench press....
Its weird, how you cant make that last rep with heavy weight, but if your partner puts his hands under the bar without even touching it, you are able to lift the rest of the rep. This is why I feel youve got to have a clear head, and a desire to lift heavy when you go into the gym....if you havent got the intensity, then you dont need to try it! This is my public service announcment for the day LOL

Nick
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 11:38 AM
Hired Hand

Quantitative maximum strength is purely a physical measurement of how much work your muscles can do working in maximum conditions. Much like a motor, the body has to be tuned and the right combo of "parts" is necessary to get 100% of that strength out. Fiber size and conditioning are a good part of that and can be affected by lesser intensity workouts, but the "coil" and "computer" (ie nerves and brain) aren't always tuned to make optimum "spark", thus a lesser performance, even if it's a built 306. In short, your muscles are activated by electric pulses in the nervous system which are "fired" by the brain. It actually does take a bit of mental conditioning to have the capability of making full spark. In essence you can't just tell your muscles to lift the weight, it will send that signal, but only at say half power. it takes a little work and practice to train your brain to "fire" a full spark each time that command "contract muscle X" is given. It is important to visualize each lift prior to grabbing the barbell, handle, etc. Even if your body is in great shape, youve still got to warm up the brain to be able to command your body to work at 100%. You wouldn't run a stock coil and computer in a blown 351, so why would you use the same brain in the gym that you use to push a pencil at work?
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 12:13 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

i agree 100%. there have been times that i have felt like total ass.. and still moved decent weight

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-04-2002, 05:50 PM
Punk Ass Bitch

I just single out some hottie in there and when i feel like i can't do any more i just make myself beleive she is looking at me laughing. That usually gets me pretty pumped up.

hrmmmmmmmmm....................... Maybe she really is laughing at me.
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-05-2002, 01:50 PM
Lifer

I know the girls are laughing at me when I first get into the weight room (Usually wearing a big ole' bulky shirt that hides it all)

Got all these big muscle bound dudes walking around thinking they are all big and bad, sometimes then even smirk at me....

Then I start to pile on the weight and pushing multi-reps of what they max, finish and go over to the dumbbells (where they usually are by then) and start throwing up bigger weights, take off the shirt to make sure I'm doing the iso's right and you know that alot of the guys are dumbfounded . I just keep lifting and after knowing that I completely obliterated their self-esteem, I work harder than ever

Natural born sleeper right here

I do agree that lifting is mainly composed of mentality with muscle thrown in, just don't get too cocky
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 09:45 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by stangcrazy
and start throwing up bigger weights, take off the shirt to make sure I'm doing the iso's right and you know that alot of the guys are dumbfounded .
Quote:
just don't get too cocky
Hmmm...
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 10:20 AM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:
I know the girls are laughing at me when I first get into the weight room (Usually wearing a big ole' bulky shirt that hides it all)

Got all these big muscle bound dudes walking around thinking they are all big and bad, sometimes then even smirk at me....

Then I start to pile on the weight and pushing multi-reps of what they max, finish and go over to the dumbbells (where they usually are by then) and start throwing up bigger weights, take off the shirt to make sure I'm doing the iso's right and you know that alot of the guys are dumbfounded . I just keep lifting and after knowing that I completely obliterated their self-esteem, I work harder than ever

Natural born sleeper right here

I do agree that lifting is mainly composed of mentality with muscle thrown in, just don't get too cocky
yeah...
gettingh kinda cocky there now arent you.. all i know is.. in the gym i train.. unless you are benching 400+ lbs.. there are many many many people who will put you to shame.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 11:47 AM
Lifer

I'm just messing around guys, I know I'm not the biggest mutha around, nor do I want to be. I'm getting happy with my body deffinition now and gonna start to build up. Think about this though, how many of those 400 + are on steroids? How long have they been training? How old are they (just bring the subject up because I'm not done growing yet)? How much do they weigh?

I'm pretty damn small, haven't been training well and I'm not f**king around with suppluments other than protein shakes and a good diet.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion though and I'm not going to hold you guys down to yours
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 12:30 PM
Ja Ja Ja Ja JEW UNIT!!

Quote:
I'm just messing around guys, I know I'm not the biggest mutha around, nor do I want to be. I'm getting happy with my body deffinition now and gonna start to build up. Think about this though, how many of those 400 + are on steroids? How long have they been training? How old are they (just bring the subject up because I'm not done growing yet)? How much do they weigh?

I'm pretty damn small, haven't been training well and I'm not f**king around with suppluments other than protein shakes and a good diet.

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion though and I'm not going to hold you guys down to yours
my training partner and i maxed at 465 on the bench after 2 years of lifting... 100% natural. and there where several people outbenching us.. dont know about who was/wasnt on roids... doesnt matter really.. im more for training for myself the to out do other people.
there is always someone one bigger and stronger.
D.
short, overweight and weak
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 12:40 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Think about this though, how many of those 400 + are on steroids? How long have they been training? How old are they (just bring the subject up because I'm not done growing yet)? How much do they weigh?
All natural here. I'm 25, 5'10, and 190lbs.

p.s. I'm not done growing either.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 01:00 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by KevinH78
I just single out some hottie in there and when i feel like i can't do any more i just make myself beleive she is looking at me laughing. That usually gets me pretty pumped up.

Id laugh at you too.

hrmmmmmmmmm....................... Maybe she really is laughing at me.
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 01:02 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by Got Boost?

All natural here. I'm 25, 5'10, and 190lbs.

p.s. I'm not done growing either.

Thats ok, I am 22, 5'10, and 195, and Im not done growing, outward that is.

I have been hiting the cardio, and abs trying to slim down the last few weeks, and it makes me remeber what I hated so much about going to the gym, abs, and cardio.
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 01:19 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkPony

Thats ok, I am 22, 5'10, and 195, and Im not done growing, outward that is.

I have been hiting the cardio, and abs trying to slim down the last few weeks, and it makes me remeber what I hated so much about going to the gym, abs, and cardio.
Abs are the most gratifying thing to have and one of the biggest pains it the butt to get. Maybe that's what makes them so gratifying.
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 05:36 PM
Lifer

Man Boost,

If you ain't done growing by 25 then something is wrong. I just turned 18 and I've been growing (height & build) these past previous months.
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 06:26 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Man Boost,

If you ain't done growing by 25 then something is wrong. I just turned 18 and I've been growing (height & build) these past previous months.
Who said anything about height?

Sounds like you are fairly young StangCrazy. Enjoy the easy gains during your youth, it slows down pretty quick as you get older.
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-07-2002, 06:45 PM
Lifer

that's why I'm trying to get/stay fit now so it may not be as hard as if I don't take care of myself. I know some guys about 25 trying to get back into shape after being lethargic for a few years, they say it is hell right now
post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 06:32 AM
Lifer

25 isn't old but there (should be) a large difference in growth and hormonal balance from my age to 25.

You guys are gonna just keep on doggin' me
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 09:55 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
25 isn't old but there (should be) a large difference in growth and hormonal balance from my age to 25.

You guys are gonna just keep on doggin' me
Hormones are a wonderful thing, but experience is far greater in achieving a refined physique. I applaud you for starting at a young age, but don't think it's an advantage, as it still takes the right knowlege and technique to build solid mass, regardless of your age.
post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 10-08-2002, 05:03 PM
Lifer

man, you just keep coming back at me boost.

Yeah, yeah, yeah, I know hormones are good, your form and everything is better.

How about letting this thread die man, you wanna give me advice PM me
Sponsored Links
Advertisement