where to start - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 12:54 PM Thread Starter
oh really?

where to start

i'm 5'11, 175 and in decent shape.

my first goal is to have a 6 pack. i don't know what my percentage of body fat is, but i have a little to lose around my stomach.
my second goal is to get a bigger upper body.

my question is: should i concentrate on slimming down my stomach before trying to gain mass up top?

lately i have been running and playing lots of hockey and i think i'm decently fit cardio wise but still pushing to improve that. i have been working out upperbody twice a week. i try to eat
as few calories as i can and drink lots of water.
i was at 185 a few months ago and dropped 15 lbs in 2 or 3 weeks with this diet and workout. should i keep at it or change it up. i'm scared to add weight gainer or anything untill i get a 6 pack.
everytime i start to workout and really get into it, i push myself to hard and end up hurting my back.

'93 hatch
'91 ls1 coupe
'86 yamaha razz - pink, with nitrous
'78 puch maxi-luxe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-24-2002, 02:20 PM
Hired Hand

In my experience I have found it alot easier to concentrate on either body-fat or mass/strength, as it is a bit more dificult to work on both at the same time. The program for either is almost opposite to the other so I'd suggest working on the bodyfat first. This will allow you to fine-tune your diet, and help you learn to eat alot cleaner so that when you go back on the bulking phase you arebetter prepared to do so without too much extra added fat that a "see-food" diet can bring.

While dieting, try to lose the body-fat as quickly yet efficiently as possible, the less size and strength you lose will put ou that much more ahead when you start to gain again. The key is 90% diet and 10% cardio. It's possible to lose the weight without cardio, but that extra metabolic stimulus makes it come off a bit quicker and helps your heart to strenghtenand prepare to push the blood and calories you'll need to put on size.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-26-2002, 09:36 PM
Lifer

I agree with Playa, get the body-fat down first and then build up.

In my experience (used to be about 185 @ 6') I lost about 15 lbs. in about 4 weeks (down to 170 now been like that about 2 months) and I've been able to gain on my upperbody strength. I haven't had an accurate Body-fat total but I know I've cut down ALOT! I'm on a diet right now and in the past month I have cut my stomach about 2 inches, starting to get a good definition on my stomach (more of a four pack but it's starting to look good + plus I'm hairy like monkey so it doesn't show as good as you smooth skins) and I've gained about 40 lbs. on bench. I'm still at 170 but I know that it has been converted from fat to muscle and I'm not looking for size but if the strength comes with my body definition then I'm cool with that.

What kind of diet are you planning if you do decided body fat first? I don't really want to mention mine yet, it's more of a half strength half cutting if you can't tell by now and it might not help you if you are going to focus on one, plus I have an enormous metabolism naturally

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 11:14 AM Thread Starter
oh really?

i really don't have a good diet plan, i just cut all the calories i can.
i also only eat 2 or 3 times a day and i have a bad habit of eating till i can't eat anymore.
my excersice and workout habits are decent i think, it's really the diet where i am falling short.
if anyone could outline something for me to follow i may have an easier time sticking to it.
i eat out for almost every meal besides a frozen diner or frozen pizza a few times a week. i usually try to go to souper salad for lunch and for dinner try to have chicken instead of beef or steak.

'93 hatch
'91 ls1 coupe
'78 puch maxi-luxe
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 12:02 PM
Time Served

Oh man, you have a LOT of room to improve on that diet!

You will be amazed what happens when you start eating right. It's tough - but worth it. I'm getting back into it myself.

You need to split your meals up into 5-6 per day. This keeps your metabolism running and your energy levels up.

Your brain takes about half an hour to figure out that your stomach is full, so eating "until you can't eat anymore" is bad, mmmmk? You're really stuffing yourself, and there isn't a point to that.

Eat smaller meals, spread them out, and that alone will help.

You also need to plan how many calories per day you need to consume, and where they come from - protein, fat, and carbs. Most people suggest 1 gm of protein per pound of body weight - but I tend to like the 1 gm per pound of lean body mass better. There's a lot of different opinions on this, you just have to find out what works for you.

You probably have a pretty high metabolism, so if you start eating right and keep up the cardio, your "6 pack" should start showing up.

V8 RX7 project, etc.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-27-2002, 08:45 PM
Lifer

I don't really know the best way for eating but I keep it about medium carbs, high protein, and close to NO fat. When you do get into a better habit of eating (hey, I can only get about 3-4 meals a day sometimes because I live off campus from my college, GO UT!) I've haven't been taught so much about eating all through the day but I eat about enough protein per day to account for 1g/ 1 lb. lean body mass like cobracloud says. I really focus on what I eat right after work out. I try to get about 1/2 gram per lb. of protein, no more than 45 minutes after workout. Also make sure you drink some Gatorade or something because this is when you need the sugar to get your insulin up. This allows faster build up of muscle.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 09-30-2002, 01:21 PM

First, remember that when you are working out your upper body, if you do so properly than you can also be working out your abs. Also, don't forget to do different abdominal exercises, not just sit-ups or cruches. Mix in some side crunches, leg throws, leg lifts, and some other fun exercises.

When planning your diet, it is better to control how much you eat, and eat 4-5 times a day. That of course is very difficult when you eat until you can't eat anymore. When you eat smaller meals and more often, it speeds up your metabolism. Which in turn, burns those calories faster so they can't turn into fat.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 10-01-2002, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
oh really?

well i've been trying to eat less, more this week. eating a chicken biscuit or something in the morning, then a smaller lunch than normal, then a can of tuna before i leave work, then dinner, then some yogurt and soy protien drink an hour or two before bed. i'll see how long i can keep it up. i still need to lower the portion sizes for lunch and dinner but its hard!!!!

'93 hatch
'91 ls1 coupe
'78 puch maxi-luxe
Sponsored Links
Advertisement