protein shakes / creatine - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-20-2002, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Time Served

Arrow protein shakes / creatine

I am a male thats 6'3" and weighs ~230lbs. I am sorta overweight, but not too bad. I have just started the whole bench press thing in the middle of summer. Right now my max is 180. I started at around 115lbs few reps. I want to be able to do 225lbs easily.

How can my goal be obtained? I have dumbells and the benchpress here at my place. I know creatine seems to be the best thing to do, but what about protein shakes? I don't want to gain any more weight (fat) but muscle only. And how can I slim off the extra lbs while gaining some lean muscle?
Thanks for your help.

Oh, and how do you make your bloodveins pop out and get bigger?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2002, 07:47 AM
Lifer

This has worked for me, I used to be around 190 lbs. and now I'm down to 170 lbs.

I've been on a strict low carb diet for a few months (I really didn't need to lose the weight but I wanted to be lighter, so it took long than normal) just to try to use some of that excess fat.

I started using creatine and protein shakes about a month ago and they've worked great, I haven't added any weight bur my workout goes like this.

Mon, Wed, Fri. Upperbody w/ about 45-60 minutes doing cardiobike

Tues, Thurs, Sat, lower body w/ aveerage of about 60 minutes on the cardiobike (if i'm too worn out from the work out I will lower the setting because I don't want to strain anything again )

Before I started actually working out a month ago, I never had a bench max above 210 lbs, I had been doing pushups and sit-ups to get a little endurence before starting to work out. I maxed a few days after work out and got up to 225 lbs. 2 1/2 weeks later I'm now at 245 lbs and know I haven't hit a plateu yet.

I think a lot of credit goes to my diet and the creatine/protein shakes.

My diet should be on one of the posts in another thread, and other people's diets.

If you want it, you gotta work! HARD!!!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 09-21-2002, 09:47 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Re: protein shakes / creatine

Quote:
Originally posted by mustang01
I am a male thats 6'3" and weighs ~230lbs. I am sorta overweight, but not too bad. I have just started the whole bench press thing in the middle of summer. Right now my max is 180. I started at around 115lbs few reps. I want to be able to do 225lbs easily.

How can my goal be obtained? I have dumbells and the benchpress here at my place. I know creatine seems to be the best thing to do, but what about protein shakes? I don't want to gain any more weight (fat) but muscle only. And how can I slim off the extra lbs while gaining some lean muscle?
Thanks for your help.

Oh, and how do you make your bloodveins pop out and get bigger?
Vascularity (those blood veins) is obtained by having a low % of body fat. Your vascular system lies beneath your subcutaneous (adipose tissue) layer where most of your fat is stored. Lowering your body fat % shrinks this layer, thus making your veins "pop out".

Also, adding some cardiovascular exercise will help increase the density of your cardiovascular system. So adding some walking/jogging/running/biking to your regime will help reduce bodyfat and increase the density of your cardio system, thus making your arteries and veins more apparent (as well as adding to your fitness!)

Eating a clean diet will help reduce body fat while you increase your muscularity. Read through the posts here for examples of clean diets.

Good job on your bench press! If "mid summer" is July, you've increased it over 50% in a matter of a couple of months. Keep at it, I'm sure by the end of the year, you will easily be doing 225. As you continue to increase, your progression will be harder. For example, going from 180 to 245 is going to take longer than going from 115 to 180 (even though its the same increment). Its always easier in the beginning, your body will adapt to the new stress quickly.

As an example, when I first started running, I dropped from a 8 minute mile pace in a 10K race to 6 minute a mile pace in a 10K within 1 year of consistent training. It took me another 2 years to drop it to a 5 minute 30 second pace in a 10K race. I'm hoping that next year, I'll be able to finally get under 5 minutes a mile in a 10K race (goal is a 31 minute 10K). After 10 years of consistent running! I use this example to show you that once you hit a certain level of improvement you will begin to plateau, so don't get discouraged, it happens to everyone.

Protein shakes do a couple of things for you. First, it gives you the extra protein your body requires. Most people on the forum believe somewhere around a 1 gram per lb of bodyweight is required. So protein shakes help you get in the required amount of protein in high quality usable protein.

I'm not too concerned with size but I still take in about 130-140 grams of protein a day, most of it through diet, with a amino acid supplement (liquid) before I go to bed at night for repair/recovery. I'm more interested in high amount of protein as part of my recovery from my distance running training.

Keep at your training, make sure your diet for the most part is "clean" and remember that it takes months/years, not days of consistent training and diet.

Good luck!

Last edited by 01WhiteCobra; 09-21-2002 at 10:01 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement