Playa could ya explain this to me? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-08-2002, 05:56 AM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Playa could ya explain this to me?

I just started working out again seriously after a long layoff due to a injury from work. My hand was severed to the bone and it out me out of work for almost 2 years. Had a few surgeries and when in recovery with therapy the doctor put me on a small steriod to help . With all that time off and no excerise I gained about 50lbs and this is what I am know fighting to get off. Here is what I am doing-

Monday-Chest/Tri's
Tuesday- Cardio 30-45 min / abs
Wednesday-Legs
Thursday-Cardio 30-45 min/abs
Friday-Back/Bi's/shoulders
Saturday-Cardio/abs

As you can see I do all push on one day and pull on another. But i have seen alot of stuff about this shouldnt be done, or should be like this or that. Really confused about it. What I am doing is working for fat loss no doubt, I loss 7lbs last week. But I know that is too much in one week. But it just seems to be falling off now (weight) and I dont feel any weaker. Could you explain the push/pull pro'and cons to me? my fitness will be effecting my future job soon and I dont wanna fail my PT. Thx bro- Steve "JKD"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 12:06 PM
Hired Hand

Re: Playa could ya explain this to me?

Quote:
Originally posted by JKD
I just started working out again seriously after a long layoff due to a injury from work. My hand was severed to the bone and it out me out of work for almost 2 years. Had a few surgeries and when in recovery with therapy the doctor put me on a small steriod to help . With all that time off and no excerise I gained about 50lbs and this is what I am know fighting to get off. Here is what I am doing-

Monday-Chest/Tri's
Tuesday- Cardio 30-45 min / abs
Wednesday-Legs
Thursday-Cardio 30-45 min/abs
Friday-Back/Bi's/shoulders
Saturday-Cardio/abs

As you can see I do all push on one day and pull on another. But i have seen alot of stuff about this shouldnt be done, or should be like this or that. Really confused about it. What I am doing is working for fat loss no doubt, I loss 7lbs last week. But I know that is too much in one week. But it just seems to be falling off now (weight) and I dont feel any weaker. Could you explain the push/pull pro'and cons to me? my fitness will be effecting my future job soon and I dont wanna fail my PT. Thx bro- Steve "JKD"
Kudos on getting back into the swing of things. First I would like to iterate that although your exercise progam is important, when trying to trim bodyfat, diet and cardio should be your number one priorities. You can have a flawless plan for your time in the gym, but if your diet isn't up to snuff or you aren't burning enough calories, your bodyfat won't go anywhere and you'll probably end up gaining weight, as your muscles start toning up.

That said, weight traing is a great way to boost your metabolism, as more lean mass burns more calories at rest. I have found that a "push/pull" program is one of several good ways to get a good workout in, especially during a dieting phase. The premise is that in doing opposing muscle groups back to back, you can essentially rest one group while working the other, enabling you to spend less time "resting" so you can keep your heart rate up. You can be a little more intense with your sets as the muscles being worked were essentially unaffected by the previous exercise.

3 days a week is a decent amount of cardio, and if you have a good enough diet and the patience that is plenty, but I'd suggest bumping it up to atleast 5 or 6 days a week until you get down to where to where you want to be. This will allow you a little more leeway on the diet, which will be alot easier to stick to if you can splurge a little here and there. More cardio will also enable you to safely burn a little more fat, making the losses come a little quicker, seeing results is also another great motivator. Don't worry about the 7 pounds you lost last week, although that is a bit much to be losing in one week, if you just started back into it, a good percentage of that weight was was water-weight so don't expect to keep that kind of progress up. Shoot for about 2 pounds a week to ensure solid fat-loss without having to worry about catabolising your hard earned muscle. As slow as that may seem, you will be alot more likely to keep it off in the long run as well. When you try to do to much too soon, burnout is inevitable. The best way to stay off the "yo-yo" is to have a little patience.

One final important thing to mention is water, this is essential to a healthy diet. Drink lots of it, as that's what transport nutrients to your muscles, and is also what transports a good mojority of that fat out of your body. An active body needs alot more of it so drink up.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 03:17 AM Thread Starter
JKD
Gracie Jiu Jitsu Addict

Location: The weapon is only as good as the person wielding it.
Re: Re: Playa could ya explain this to me?

Quote:
Originally posted by Playahata

Kudos on getting back into the swing of things. First I would like to iterate that although your exercise progam is important, when trying to trim bodyfat, diet and cardio should be your number one priorities. You can have a flawless plan for your time in the gym, but if your diet isn't up to snuff or you aren't burning enough calories, your bodyfat won't go anywhere and you'll probably end up gaining weight, as your muscles start toning up.

That said, weight traing is a great way to boost your metabolism, as more lean mass burns more calories at rest. I have found that a "push/pull" program is one of several good ways to get a good workout in, especially during a dieting phase. The premise is that in doing opposing muscle groups back to back, you can essentially rest one group while working the other, enabling you to spend less time "resting" so you can keep your heart rate up. You can be a little more intense with your sets as the muscles being worked were essentially unaffected by the previous exercise.

3 days a week is a decent amount of cardio, and if you have a good enough diet and the patience that is plenty, but I'd suggest bumping it up to atleast 5 or 6 days a week until you get down to where to where you want to be. This will allow you a little more leeway on the diet, which will be alot easier to stick to if you can splurge a little here and there. More cardio will also enable you to safely burn a little more fat, making the losses come a little quicker, seeing results is also another great motivator. Don't worry about the 7 pounds you lost last week, although that is a bit much to be losing in one week, if you just started back into it, a good percentage of that weight was was water-weight so don't expect to keep that kind of progress up. Shoot for about 2 pounds a week to ensure solid fat-loss without having to worry about catabolising your hard earned muscle. As slow as that may seem, you will be alot more likely to keep it off in the long run as well. When you try to do to much too soon, burnout is inevitable. The best way to stay off the "yo-yo" is to have a little patience.

One final important thing to mention is water, this is essential to a healthy diet. Drink lots of it, as that's what transport nutrients to your muscles, and is also what transports a good mojority of that fat out of your body. An active body needs alot more of it so drink up.

Hey thx alot for the support...God knows I could use it. Ever since my accident and the doctor put me on a steriod to regain strength , the weight just piled on on controllably. I couldnt excersise at all so I dont know what sense it made to do that, but the doctor is the one with the degree LOL.
Water- this is funny but I have been drinking water and water only for about 2 weeks now. I have a soda habit that been hard to kick. I had a small glass of Pepsi today and had to spit it out cuz it was too sweet ! Seems all the flavor in food has come back , food I used to eat seems way to rich now..i love it !

BTw....so my routine is ok except more cardio?? Thx for your help bro !

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-10-2002, 10:01 AM
Hired Hand

Re: Re: Re: Playa could ya explain this to me?

Quote:
Originally posted by JKD
I have a soda habit that been hard to kick. I had a small glass of Pepsi today and had to spit it out cuz it was too sweet ! Seems all the flavor in food has come back , food I used to eat seems way to rich now..i love it !
Yeah, that's one of the best things anbout sticking to a diet, it takes less "rich" foods to satiate your appetite as your taste buds re-acclimate themselves to a little blander palate.

Quote:
BTw....so my routine is ok except more cardio?? Thx for your help bro !
In the beginning stages, just getting into the gym with a plan is a great start. As you begin to make changes and grow, you'll be able to learn what your body responds to best. Keep your cadio at a moderate pace and do no less than 20 minutes a session at bare minimum. Anything less is just a warm-up.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement