workout/diet to enhance my rock climbing - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-06-2002, 10:04 PM Thread Starter
Hanging on ropes

workout/diet to enhance my rock climbing

anybody have any suggestions to help on my workout/diet in an effort to improve my rock climbing abbilities? i don't have access to a gym (spending that money on membership at climbing gym), nor do i own any weights. i could buy some if they are suggested (don't really know what to buy).

my biggest goels are: increasing stamina, flexability and strength while remaining lite. I'm pretty thin and have very strong legs, but i could loose 5lbs in a quest for a 6pack.

currently my workout involves:

1 time a week:

8 miles hike

3 times a week:

climbing at exposure gym

daily:

2 sets of 15 pullups on door frame (fingers only, palms out)
2 sets of 15 pullups palms out on bar
2 sets of 15 pullups palms in on bar
40 push ups
40 sit ups
10 sets of this thing my PT told me to do
(i slipped a disk in my back 1.5 years ago. lay on my back, pull left knee to nose, count to 15, pull right to nose, count to 15, pull both to nose, count to 15, ect. it seemed to help, so i kept doing it)
20 minute jog with my dog (his favorite time of day)

i recently quite smokeing, and i plan to gradually up my jog time as my lungs get better. 20 minutes REALLY destroys me right now.

diet:

my high metabolism has allowed me to remain quite thin (5'11" 150ish pounds) despite NOT watching my diet at all. basicly i have simply tried to lower my carb intake, cut down to 2 cups of coffee a day, eat more chicken, drink LOTS of water (over 80oz/day), and drink less soda. i've NEVER drank non-diet soda or been much for sweets. but i can destroy burgers and pizza, trying to do that less.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-09-2002, 12:30 PM
Hired Hand

Sounds like you are on the right track, but given your light frame, I'd suggest adding a little weight to those pull-ups. Buy a weight belt, some rope, and a 25 pound plate. Loop the rope around the belt and through the hole on the weight(s) and viola, weighted pullups. I'd also suggest getting a gripmaster for your forearms, as grip is essential to a rock climber.

As for your diet, try to get more lean protiens like chicken, fish, and maybe even a shake or two. With your high metabolism you can up the calories, just make sure they are "clean" calories like veggies, rice, oatmeal, fruits, etc.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-14-2002, 05:05 PM Thread Starter
Hanging on ropes

thanks for the suggestions. i've worked more chicken and fish into my diet. what do you suggest for shakes? that sounds like a good, quick easy thing to do. but i need some suggestions on brands and places to purchase.

what is a gripmaster? i think i'm going to head out and look into those "sqeeze" things for your hands, is that what you are talking about?

the weighted pull-ups are a good idea. but for the time being, i'm going to try and push sets up to 20 before adding weights. this week i moved to 16, i will be adding 1 extra a week until i easily (relative term) do 20 pulls up in a set.

does anybody know anything specific about building tendon strength?

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-16-2002, 10:04 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by Merkur
what is a gripmaster? i think i'm going to head out and look into those "sqeeze" things for your hands, is that what you are talking about?
Yeah, they are great for building forearm strength.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 09-17-2002, 08:21 PM Thread Starter
Hanging on ropes

sounds like an excellent office toy. will definitly be picking those up tommarow.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement