Iced Tea or Orange Juice? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 05:34 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Iced Tea or Orange Juice?

I am trying to find a substitute for soda...I really like Iced Tea (with maybe one packet of sweet and low), and orange juice.

I like the two enough that I could, with the help of water to mix things up...totally drop soda off of my menu.

So, which is better, the iced tea or the orange juice?

I know the OJ has a lot of sugar...not too sure about what's in tea, except for one pack of sweet and low and caffeine.

Any other GOOD TASTING drinks that are good for you? Any good juices, or anything besides water? Water gets boring...

What about Propel by gatorade. I looked at the label and there is almost nothing in it, but it's expensive..

Thanks

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 07:43 PM
mannish boy

Shawn,

OJ has vitamin C which is probably THE most important catalyst vitamin... the RDA is very low for Vitamin C... so more is pretty much always better... it does have sugar, but it's fructose and not sucrose, and there are worse things for you...

Iced Tea has caffeine which can be good or bad... you'll have to make your own decision there... it temporarily speeds your metabolism, but over time it'll slow your metabolism... it can come back up to speed when you cut caffeine, but like I said, that's your call... but, the biggest problem w/ tea is any food you have when you're injesting tea you won't absorb the iron... the tannin in the tea chelates w/ the iron and forms a compound that your body doesn't absorb, so people who drink tea "like it was water" are often lower on iron in their body...

I love water... I drink the shit all day... but at first, I was squeezing a little lime juice in it OR, another thing I found that I liked was a little orange extract (get it at the grocery store with all the baking stuff) something to give it flavor without giving it sugar or anything else you don't want...

but... one thing to consider... ANYTHING is better than soda... hell, you'd be better off drinking a few beers a day versus a few sodas... so if you're replacing soda with orange juice, you're on the right track... soda robs your body of vitamins and minerals plus it's got all that sugar... at least beer has B vitamins!

hth,

Forrest
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-28-2002, 09:18 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

I sometimes toss a little fruit juice (take your pick) into water for a change of pace. Taste better than Propel, and less expensive. Lime/lemon also helps.

OJ is good in moderation. It is calorie dense, as is any fruit juice, so don't drink a quart a day.

Tea has 0 calories, but caffeine, so don't drink too much in late afternoon and evenings. My preference is green tea.

I take 3000mg of Vitamin C in supplement form. Its water soluble (you will pee the excess out) so its not toxic to your system. One of my coaches explained to me to take vitamin C in 500mg doses (up it by 500 mg each day) until you get the coon-dog spitters. Then back off 500mg and that is what you need.

Vitamin C is a great antioxidant, helps control cholesterol and produces collagen which is good for cardiovascular health.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 04:03 AM
Served Time

"coon-dog spitters"

What is that?

"you'd be better off drinking a few beers a day versus a few sodas"

True?

Scott D.
2004 GTO LS1 baby!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-30-2002, 09:41 AM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by 01-0800