Riding an exercise bike or even a regular bike...waste of time? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 06:08 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Riding an exercise bike or even a regular bike...waste of time?

Instead of running for the past few days, I have been riding a bike (in the gym and outside). I dont get NEARLY as winded as when running, but my legs feel like they are getting just as good of/if not a better workout. I can do twice the distance in half the time...and I can ride the bike 10 miles instead of running 3...

So, which is better for you, and what are the pros and cons of each?

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 06:40 PM
Hired Hand

Bicycling can be a great way to get cardio but be carefule, it can be easy to let the bike do the work. You have to conscienciously push yourself to keep your heart rate up. Once you learn to get into the groove it's great low-impact cardio.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 08:40 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Running (given the same preceived effort) will burn more calories. U use more of your body in running than cycling. That isn't to say you can reap benefits from the bike, like playahata mentioned.

I do a LifeCycle workout every now and then when running beats me down. Here is what I do:

5 minutes / Level 3
10 minutes / Level 5,6
5 minutes / Level 7
10 minutes / Level 8
5 minutes / Level 4
10 minutes / alternating Level 5, Level 8 each minute
5 minutes / Level 7
5 minutes / Level 8
5 minutes / Level 3

For a 30 minute workout, just half the amount. I try to keep RPMS in the 90-100 range.

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-21-2002, 11:52 PM
Lifer

I ride a Lifecycle every day. The key is your heart-rate. I used to cycle competitively, and ran out of time to train. Running does more for you, but also beats you up. Anyone with knee, hip, or even back problems, will benefit from the bike. You will use different muscles than running (quads can get huge), but your hams will not really benefit, and neither will calves. Cycling can be as tough as you want it to be, just like running, but you will rarely get sore. You will always benefit from a heart rate monitor, no matter the activity.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 09:50 PM
dispatching aero planes

I have a friend that rode a bike everywhere one summer, he lost 50+ pounds....give it a try...

I just hate sitting on the seat for that long because it makes my boys ache.
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-23-2002, 10:04 PM

Forget them both and get on a stair climber if you want an intense workout in a short time frame!!!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 03:23 AM
tex
Lifer

Shawn, with your ankle troubles lately, I'd spend some time on the bike. But, like others have said, make sure you push yourself. You don't have to do intense climbs or serious rpms, just make sure you keep your legs pumping. And once you think you've got some stamina built up, come up here, you and I will play a little basketball, you get to gaurd me. I'll tear down those leg muscle REAL quick!

Seriously, bikes can be good, especially if you have joint problems. Personally I can't just run, the only time I'm running is playing some sort of sport, so, if I can't do that, I'll hit the bike. If you work on strenthening your lower legs, you can then choose between running and riding, or mix both for your workouts, as each are beneficial.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-24-2002, 09:25 AM
Lifer

Tex speaks the truth...if you have any joint issues, running is very tough. You'll spend time on the injured list instead of being able to train.

CHL holder and Conservative...AKA "Domestic Terrorist"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement