Best way to soothe a sprained ankle, or worse? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Best way to soothe a sprained ankle, or worse?

Well, yesterday at my BB game, I slid home and the catcher jumped to catch the ball, landed right on my foot/ankle, and it rolled violently.

It cant be broken because I finished the game (with an in the park home run, so I was running fine), but it was sore.

I woke up this morning, and I cant walk AT ALL. I can't put ANY weight on it..it sucks!

So, what can I do? I've been icing it all day, and I've been keeping weight off of it, but it still hurts like hell.

Is it possible that something is torn/broken, even though I ran on it after it happened?

It is my left leg, and it is swollen a lot on the outside, and hardly at all on the inside.

Thanks for any help!

Shawn
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 07:46 PM
mannish boy

man, they SUCK once they cool down!!

it's wierd... you'll roll the hell out of it, and you can walk around and everything, but once it cools down, it hurts like HELL!!!

ice for the first 24 hrs, heat after that... and be careful w/ it once it's "healed" as it's REALY easy to re-injure it for a while after...

Forrest
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 08:11 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Forrest, there's no way anything is broken though if I was running on it, right? (and not just jogging, I mean a sprint during the in the park home run..). BTW, this guy that landed on me was a good 265 or more...

My friggin foot looks like a cabbage patch kid's foot, lol, it's swollen as hell!

Thanks man..

Shawn

Semper Paratus - Proudly serving in the USCG
----------------------------------------------------------
1991 LX Coupe 5.0 - Bimini on Black - Mostly stock Weekend driver
1985 LX Coupe 5.0 - Still in pieces
2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium - Wife's Ride

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 01:18 AM
tex
Lifer

Ahh... ankles... my specialty! Shawn chances are you damaged a ligament or 3. Like Forrest said, use alternating heat and ice. You also want to keep it elevated as much as possible. If you have a lace up brace around, I'd wear it during any activity for a couple weeks, or until the tenderness goes away. I've noticed that after I do damage, my ankles feel 'loose,' like they are more likely to give out. I wait until this passes before ditching the brace. You'll probably notice a big ugly bruise along the bottom of your foot, on the outside. It doesn't mean anything, I've had the same bruise when I just sprained an ankle, tore 2 ligaments completely, and broke one. I like to walk around without shoes a lot when mine look like that, it's fun to watch people's reactions.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 12:28 PM
¯\(º_o)/¯

I've been there done that and it sucked, once you've done it, your ankles are never the same, its really easy for them to roll again. It takes some time to heal, I used epsom salt to try and bring the swelling down, I dont know if it worked or not but it made my foot feel better. I also went and bought a ankle wrap and that helped a lot as well.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Lifer

Well, it's about 2:00PM sunday afternoon, and it happened at about 10:00PM Friday night. That means it has been about 40 hrs, and I still cant walk on it.

I'm assuming this is still a 'rolled' ankle...although I've twisted and rolled my ankles several times, and it was never this bad...

BUT, like I said, it cant be broken or anything because I ran on it after it happened...it didn't hurt bad until I woke up saturday morning.

And, yes it's swollen...it's been iced and heated, we'll see what happens!

Shawn

Semper Paratus - Proudly serving in the USCG
----------------------------------------------------------
1991 LX Coupe 5.0 - Bimini on Black - Mostly stock Weekend driver
1985 LX Coupe 5.0 - Still in pieces
2008 Nissan Rogue SL AWD Premium - Wife's Ride
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 08-11-2002, 09:36 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Ice should only be applied for the first 72 hours. You should ice between 10-20 minutes a session, until numbness is obtained. Icing an area much longer than that and you are setting yourself up for tissue damage.

After 72 hours, or when the internal bleeding (black and blue of skin, like a bruise) and swelling subsides, heat is needed. Hot packs, hot towles (wet a towel and stick it in the microwave to desired heat), whirlpools.

Heat increases the blood flow and the "strechability" of the area, decreases pain and stiffness. It also promotes soft tissue repair.

If you haven't been compressing it with a wrap, its probably too late to do it, but it still wont hurt now, to give support to the area. The reason you want to compress it immediately is it will help reduce hemorrhage and bleeding. Its a bitch to wrap an ankle, but you can cut some pads to form and hold it in place with tape.

When you sleep at night, remove the compress and elevate your ankle above your heart level, it will help reduce internal bleeding and swelling. It decreases the bleeding and also helps promote venous return and prevent pooling of blood around the area. Very important at night, when the body slows its functions down.

I had a similiar injury happen to me in HS playing football. Luckily our Dr on the sideline was there to tape my ankle, then re-tape my shoe to my foot. I ran like Frankenstein in that game! But, it helped minimize swelling and bleeding and speeded up my recovery.

It never felt 100% during the year (it happened the second game), but with taping the ankle, then taping the outside of the shoe and my leg, I was able to finish out the season with very little pain.

It did take until the next Wednesday after the injury (on a Friday night) until I was able to put 100% weight on the foot.

Oh yea, obligatory message board adder. If you haven't been checked by a Doc yet, get to the Doc.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement