Turning it around - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 12:54 AM Thread Starter
My Boy!

Turning it around

OK, I have lost like 15# in the last 2 months by cutting way back in the eating department and adding a whey Protein shake 3 times a day and doing a light workout regularly for the last month or so. Was about 185 now I am 169 - 171. Still there is a little flabbyness in those hard to get places that I want to get rid of, but I think that wil go away with the program. I may have lost a little muscle size but maybe not that much.

Here is the daily eating habits....

Breakfast: used to skip this but now it is a protein shake

Lunch: I was eating 2 sandwitches and a lot of chips and coke or whatever for lunch and now it is one sandwitch and no chips and water.

Dinner: Example - used to munch down on home made tacos a lot like maybe 9 - 12 of them at a time. Now I stop at 4 and have water with that too.

I also added a shake at 10:00AM and 3:00PM and usually one at night too.

It is almost like I am starving myself bu maybe not. I figure that the protein shakes will help my body not want to eat too much muscle during the loss.

So I am almost at a point where I want to turn it around and step up to a heavt workout program adn start gaining.

How should I go about it?

My Resurrected Turbo Mustang website: http://turbostangtodd.com/

Last edited by Todd; 08-08-2002 at 12:57 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-08-2002, 08:23 AM
Time Served

protein

where did u get the protein shake mix at?
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 01:55 AM

Got it at a place called Drug Emporium. It is the Optimum Nutrition Whey Protein powder. They had it a little cheaper than the other places.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 01:58 AM

<-------- Actually Todd
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 11:11 AM
tex
Lifer

The protein is ok, but you shouldn't make it such a huge part of your diet. You shouldn't need more than 2 shakes a day, the rest of your protein should come from natural food. What kind of sandwiches do you take for lunch?? If you have access to a microwave, you can always prepare chicken and rice or similar meals to take every once in a while, to break up the cycle. Since you seem to be eating a lot of bread, I take it you aren't afraid of carbs, so you can consider pasta as a viable source. One of my favorites is grilling chicken breasts and eating it chopped up with rigatoni and home made sauce, mainly just tomato sauce, chopped mushrooms and bell peppers. But you should eat more solid food, don't try to live off the shakes.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 11:28 AM
Crash Test Dummy

Yeah. What Tex said.

But about the working out part:

It depends on what you're after. Personally I like mass building excercises. As much as I try to go for higher reps I just don't stick with it long. Although it's imperative to mix it up at times, I prefer to lift for low reps heavy weight using the mass building excercises. Movements that take alot of other secondary muscles to do it. (ie. Presses, Squats, straight bar curling,dead lifts and pull ups)

I bet Todd, if you kept your current diet(except eat more solids) and tried the mass building techniques for a month you would see signifigant gains. When I do the heavy excercises people I see everyday ask me "are you getting bigger" When I do the high reps they don't notice me hahahahahahahaha

post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 01:10 PM
Hired Hand

I have not yet heard the word cardio mentioned. Cardio is essential in targeteing the "hard-to-reach-areas". It has been proven that diet alone is not the best way to take off, and more importantly, keep off unwanted bodyfat. I'd recommend atleast 30 minutes of cardio at 70% of your VO2 max for atleast 3 times a week. Throw some mass training in between, and the rest of that bodyfat will melt away.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 02:43 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by tex
rigatoni and home made sauce
I tried to lower my carbs this summer, increase the protein, kept fats around the same. Now that i'm building my running miles back up (60 miles this week, upwards to 80-90 within a month), I have constant visions of huge bowls of pasta, bagels and perogies dancing around my head.

Favorite meal, pasta with shrimp in a spicy tomato sauce.

I'm about to go to the darkside again...
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 04:18 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by 01WhiteCobra

I tried to lower my carbs this summer, increase the protein, kept fats around the same. Now that i'm building my running miles back up (60 miles this week, upwards to 80-90 within a month), I have constant visions of huge bowls of pasta, bagels and perogies dancing around my head.

Favorite meal, pasta with shrimp in a spicy tomato sauce.

I'm about to go to the darkside again...
You're getting an LS1?!

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-09-2002, 05:27 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:
Originally posted by Playahata

You're getting an LS1?!

Low glycogen stores do that to you sometimes. After I finished my THIRD FREAKIN' BAGEL for the day, I've come to my senses.

I've been rationalizing the third bagel by telling myself the 15 mile run I have planned in the morning will require it.
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 01:19 AM Thread Starter
My Boy!

Quote:
Originally posted by Monsoon X
Yeah. What Tex said.

But about the working out part:

It depends on what you're after. Personally I like mass building excercises. As much as I try to go for higher reps I just don't stick with it long. Although it's imperative to mix it up at times, I prefer to lift for low reps heavy weight using the mass building excercises. Movements that take alot of other secondary muscles to do it. (ie. Presses, Squats, straight bar curling,dead lifts and pull ups)

I bet Todd, if you kept your current diet(except eat more solids) and tried the mass building techniques for a month you would see signifigant gains. When I do the heavy excercises people I see everyday ask me "are you getting bigger" When I do the high reps they don't notice me hahahahahahahaha
What are you talkign about by "Mass building Exercises"? the ones you neamed here - Presses, Squats, straight bar curling,dead lifts and pull ups?

How many sets and reps are you talking about? Jsut the standard 3 sets of 6 with heavy weight? or is there a better way?

My Resurrected Turbo Mustang website: http://turbostangtodd.com/
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-10-2002, 05:10 AM
tex
Lifer

The easiest mass building exercises for novice to medium experience lifters are the basics, squats/bench, etc. Exercises which aren't single body part specific. I'm young enough and active enough to where I haven't had to go beyond the basic movements, so that's what I'm most familiar with. I'm in no way an expert, esp. compared to some of the others on this board, but I'll throw out my mass building routine just to give an example. ( keep in mind that I've always been a sprinter/jumper type athlete, so that is what my workouts were geared towards)

The # of reps is determined by how easy the weight is to move that day, and the weight is decided by how I'm feeling. If I don't feel particularly strong, I'll use a slightly lighter weight, with a couple extra reps. If I feel good, I'll pile on the weight, and HOPE to pound out 5 reps or so. And the weight I'm quoting has nothing to do with what you should try, I'm just using it to show the changes between sets. I'm sure you'll be stronger in some areas, and possibly weaker in others.

I like to work upper body 3x a week, and lower 2x.
Day 1: Chest
1 warm up set on flat bench: 12 reps x 135lbs.
1 set flat bench: 8-10 x 225
2 sets flat bench: 6-8 x 275

1 set incline dumbell presses: 8-10 reps x 55lbs.
2 sets incline dumbell presses: 6-8 reps x 75lbs.

1 set decline bench: 8-10 reps x 185lbs
2 sets decline bench: 6-8 reps x 225lbs.

I always had a lot of muscle stamina, so I always did flyes, or cable crosses, to completely burn the muscle. With these, I like to do a lighter weight ( 30-50 lbs) but high rep, with a very deliberate motion, so I could really feel the movement and gauge where I was at. I do 3-4 sets to failure.

Day 2: Thighs
(This is really where I kicked my own ass, because this was my strongest group)
1 warm up set free squats: 12-15 rep x 135 lbs.
1 set squats: 12 reps x 225
1 set squats: 10 reps x 315
2 sets squats: 6-8 reps x 405

1 set leg ext.: 10-12 reps x 50-100 lbs (depending on the machine, single leg vs double leg)
2 sets leg ext: 6-8 reps x 70-140 lbs

1 set leg curl: 10-12 reps x 40-80 lbs ( single/double leg)
2 sets leg gurl: 6-8 reps x 60-120lbs

1 set hack squats: 10-12 reps x 300lbs
2 sets hack squats: 6-8 reps x 450+ lbs

1 set leg press: to failure x 400 lbs
2 sets leg press: to failure x 550+ lbs

If I had anything left in the tank, I would go to the aerobics room and use the steps... build the bases to atleast 3 feet, and do repetitious jumps up, settle, and down, until I couldn't jump anymore. This doesn't do anything for mass, but I used it to help KILL the muscles and because that is what I was working for, explosiveness. On these days I wouldn't drive to the gym, I'd have someone drop me off and pick me up, because I couldn't even push in the clutch to start the car.

Day 3: Biceps/Back
(Note: most serious builders don't work many body parts on the same day, but I've got the body structure and muscle stamina to where I can combine, and still get results. I'm lucky )

Some days I like to do back first, and others I prefer biceps.

1 set warm up preacher curl: 10-12 x 55lbs.
2 sets preacher curl: 6-8 x 90-110lbs

1 set alternating seated curl: 10-12 x 35 lbs
2 sets alternating seated curl: 6-8 x 45 lbs

1 set standing barbell curl: 10-12 x 60lbs
2 sets standing barbell curl: 6-8 x 80-90 lbs.

I'd kill the muscle with cable curls, either alternating or with a straight bar, with a weight which allows 15-20 reps for failure. About 2-3 sets worth.

1 set bent over rows (underhand grip): 10-12 x 95lbs
2 sets bent over rows: 6-8 x 135lbs

1 set pull downs: 10-12 reps x 100lbs
2 sets pull downs: 6-8 reps x 130 lbs

1 set cable rows: 10-12 x 120 lbs
2 sets cable rows: 6-8 x 150-160 lbs.

3-5 sets back extensions: 15-20 x 25lbs.

If I have gas left, I like single arm dumbell rows, with super strict form, the heaviest weight I can move.

Day 4: Legs/Calves
( This day was mainly to help build more stamina and explosive movement for my jumping and running)
1 set warm up free squats: 10-12 reps x 135

1 set straight leg dead lift: 10-12 reps x 135
2 sets straight leg dead lift: 6-8 reps x 225
(These REALLY help stretch and strenthen your hamstrings, but I wouldn't use them unless you've done a lot of strenthening on your lower back, and lots of stretching of your hamstrings.)

1 set lunges (barbell): 12 steps x 135
2 sets lunges: 12 steps x 225

1 set super jerks (jumper specific- have the barbell in a overhand grip, on the floor. Jerk as if moving towards a clean motion, but instead of turing your arms under, bring your elbows all the way up and raise up on your toes, then settle back to the floor.)10-12 x 75
2 sets super jerks: 6-8 x 95

1 set Smith machine calf raises(both legs):15-20x 95 ( if 0 counterbalance)
3-5 sets Smith machine raises: 10-15 x 225- 415
( my calves have always been WAY overdeveloped, I haven't worked them in 2+ years, and they are just now falling into line with my thighs.)

1 set calf raise machine( single leg): 15-20 x 75
3-5 sets calf raise machine: 10-15 x 110

Depending on how I feel, I may do side squats, with a light weight ( 75-95lbs), around 12 reps, for 3-4 sets.

The entire 2nd leg day does nothing by its self to build mass, just muscle strength and stamina, which in turn helps when working the heavy compound movements used to build mass. Like I said, this works for me, I doubt it works for many people.

Day 5: Triceps/shoulders
Like Day 3, I do which ever group first that I decide I want to focus on that day.

1 set warm up 2 hand cable push downs: 10-12 x 50lbs
1 set 2 hand cable push downs: 10-12 reps x 70 lbs
2 sets 2 hand cable push downs : 6-8 reps x 100 lbs.

1 set single arm french press( seated, weight above head, lowered behind head, and pressed up, without the elbow moving): 10-12 reps x 30lbs
2 sets single arm french press: 6-8 x 40lbs

1 set double fisted skull crushers( dumbells): 10-12 x 30 lbs
2 sets skull crushers: 6-8 x 45 lbs

If I still feel good, I'll throw in a few sets of underhand single cable extensions, 30-40 lbs to failure.

1 set warm up seated military press: 10-12 x 95lbs
2 sets seated military press: 6-8 x 115 lbs

I either do lateral raises or front raises, first set around 25-30 lbs, last 2 sets around 40lbs. I've had a ton of shoulder problems, so I can't do both every week.

1 set seated dumbell military press: 10-12 x 40lbs
2 sets seated dumbell press: 6-8 x 55 lbs

1 set upright rows: 10-12 x 75lbs
2 sets upright rows: 6-8 x 95 lbs

Due to injuries and sport specifc exercises, my workout is a little different. I know you'll hear all the more common routines and strategies, but I wanted to provide and alternative. Most people I know use less reps, and more sets than I do, but this is what works for me. My leg workouts are in someways more extreme, and also more ecentric than some people, but my body reacts to them. The main thing is to try different things to see what is the most comfortable, and what works the best. And remember, you're going to hit plateaus where you don't seem to grow much, all you need to do is re-arrange your workout to shock the muscles again, and you'll continue to improve. Good luck Todd!
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 08-12-2002, 10:27 AM
Crash Test Dummy

Todd- If you want to make strength and size gains lift heavy on the Mass building excercises.

My workout that I'm currently on for 1 month:

Monday Chest: Bench press 5x5 (heavy); Dumbell Incline press 4x6 (heavy); Flat bench dumbell press 3x8 (medium); Machine pec flys 3x10(easy)

Tues Legs: Leg press 5x5 (heavy); Hamstring curls 5x5(heavy); Leg extensions 5x5 (heavy); Calf

Wed Back: Wide Grip overhand Pull ups 3xwhatever; Bent over barbell rows 5x8(medium); wide grip cable pull downs 5x5 (heavy); Seated cable rows 3x8(heavy); One arm bent over rows 4x8(heavy)

Thurs Shoulders: *Behind neck military press5x5 (gradually increase weight); Seated dumbell press 4x8(medium-heavy); lateral arm raises 4x8(light); Bent over arm laterals 4x8 (light); Shoulder shrugs 3x10(heavy)

Fri Arms: Standing Barbell bicep curls 4x21(light: 7 halfway up, 7 midpoint all the way up, 7 full curls); Preacher Curls 4x8 (halfway down); Isolation curls 4x10 (light); Triceps-- Close grip bench press 4x8 (heavy); Tricep kickbacks 4x8(light); [i]I do other Tri excercises but I can't think of their names. LOL!

* Be careful on the behind the neck military press; Do what feels right!!!!

On all these excercises, remember form is more important than quantity. If you have to cheat to get it up then go lighter.

I've done this for 3 wks now and already my brand new suit coats are tighter in the arms and shoulders.

<-----202lbs!

Advertisement