I need some better eating habbits... Suggestions? - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 01:21 PM Thread Starter
Im somebody's daddy!

Unhappy I need some better eating habbits... Suggestions?

Since Ive had a desk job Ive put on at LEAST 20#.

Its getting old. Ive got a little gut going that Id like to lose.

I eat terrible.

What is a GOOD way to eat a sensible, healthy and filling meal for lunch and dinner? And what about something small in the morning for breakfast?

I dont want anything that I have to really TRY at. I dont want to go out of my way to eat a meal... its got to be easy and readily available.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 01:24 PM
Worship me

bagel or banana for breakfast. Sensible lunch with no grease and no sugar. You need to get your ass up in the morning and run is what you need to do. Everyone needs exercise...
post #3 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 01:25 PM
Lifer

Quote:
Originally posted by bsharer
I dont want to go out of my way to eat a meal... its got to be easy and readily available.
That seems to be the problem Bryan. Tell Leon to quit coming over for 'brunch'.

post #4 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 01:25 PM Thread Starter
Im somebody's daddy!

JUST a bagel, or with cream cheese too?

Give me an example of a lunch...
post #5 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 01:25 PM
The Big Matt

Bryan, just lay off Leon's baby gravy.. that should be enough calorie savings...

ASSHOLE

Last edited by The Big Matt; 08-01-2002 at 01:28 PM.
post #6 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 01:26 PM
Rolling with the homies

Don't even get me started on this shit. How long have you been working behind a desk Bryan? I've been working Office/Computer work since maybe 94 and I don't want to think about how much wait I've put on since then. I used to work at Home Depot out in the parking lot or stocking the store and after that I worked at a few different Freight company's loading and unloading trucks. I wasn't skinny but I wasn't fat as I am now. Hope you can find a diet that works out for you.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
1995 Mustang GT Convertible
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #7 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 01:28 PM

Here is my plan:

1. Breakfast: Bowl of Frosted Wheat, Orange juice, tea

2. Lunch : Slim fast bar and water throughout the day

3. Dinner : Salad, Chicken and rice, Steak or something with tea with no sugar.

Cut out the soft drinks! they are unnecessary calories and add unneeded carbs to your diet. I havent touched a soft drink in over 3 years! Drink lots and lots of water throughout the day and keep hydrated. Just have mental fitness and you will succeed, I weighed 3 years ago about 190Lbs. and now I wiegh 150 and have been for the past 3 years now.

Good luck.
post #8 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Im somebody's daddy!

No sugar

I also drink Diet Coke like its going out of style.

I did lose a few #'s when I switched from Dr. Pepper to Diet Coke! LOL
post #9 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 01:32 PM

Quote:
No sugar

I also drink Diet Coke like its going out of style.

I did lose a few #'s when I switched from Dr. Pepper to Diet Coke! LOL
Cut the chips and snacks out of your diet along with donuts and pastries, it is good to have them every once in a while but not everyday and also walk every morning for about an hour around the block, you have a nice nieghborhood and I wouldnt mind walking around that place for a few hours every morning.
post #10 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 01:33 PM

How do you rabbits survive on so little food?
post #11 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 01:34 PM
Mmmmm..... BEER !

I think a daily jog, or brisk walk at least would be the key. Other than that, just eat a little better, and more often. Eat a piece of fruit or two for breakfast, have a good lunch, (lose the cheese, butter, whatever) and a reasonable dinner. Eat a snack or two during the day, some fruit, or a vegtable in between meals, and you won't be as hungry around dinner time, so you will eat less. For lunch, find a few things that you like. When I was trying to eat better, I would eat:

Breakfast - apple or something
snack- apple, carrot sticks
lunch - Chicken carver sandwhich on wheat, no cheese, honey mustard dressing
snack - fruit or veggie again
dinner - whatever you would eat now, maybe a little less
Go for a walk or something after dinner.

Thats all I did, and I lost 10 lbs. Cut out the majority of all the bad stuff, or substitute it for something.
post #12 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 01:34 PM
Rolling with the homies

Maybe I need to switch to a diet soft drink because I drink quite a few soda's at work because I need the caffine to keep me awake and I don't drink coffe.

Question, is it bad to only eat one meal a day? Most of the time I won't eat breakfast (remember I normally don't get up until 9am or 10am) and I won't eat anything until I have lunch at work around 5pm-6pm. Then I won't eat after work or when I get home. I don't eat a huge lunch but it's usually fast food.

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #13 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
Im somebody's daddy!

I stop at the store every morning and get and apple turnover

Maybe this is a bad idea
post #14 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 01:36 PM
Lifer

Allen is right, get your ass out and run, go to the gym, Diet is only part of it. It good meals, and exercise.
post #15 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 01:37 PM Thread Starter
Im somebody's daddy!

When you guys say no sugar...

Like no sugar sprinkled in Ice Tea, or on top of cereal...

Or like no sugar in the food?
post #16 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 01:38 PM
Crash Test Dummy

Bald Fat Man-

Just think before you eat.

If you think about it, how many times a day do you eat bread,cheese,mayo or fattening salad dressing? What about soft drinks, sugar, potatoes. I bet it's quite often. Fast food is nothing but, bread, cheese,sugar and potatoes!

Ex:
Breakfast- 2 Eggs and 2 bacon(believe it or not this combo is only 2 carbs! A bagel isn't too bad but it's still bread but all carbs aren't bad. Watch out for the "low fat stuff" alot of the times it has more sugar than the regular one.

Lunch- Just try to omit bread,cheese,potatoes(doesn't leave much huh?)LOL

Dinner-Same as lunch. And definately eat about 3hrs B4 bed.

AND GET SOME TYPE OF EXCERCISE FAT BOY!!!!!!

post #17 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 01:38 PM Thread Starter
Im somebody's daddy!

Quote:
Originally posted by DarkPony
Allen is right, get your ass out and run, go to the gym, Diet is only part of it. It good meals, and exercise.
Im lazy. Ive got very little time in the mornings, Im late to work every day!

I suppose I could ride my bike in the evenings, but Id MUCH rather wrench on one of the cars!
post #18 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 01:41 PM Thread Starter
Im somebody's daddy!

Quote:
Originally posted by Monsoon X
Bald Fat Man-

Just think before you eat.

If you think about it, how many times a day do you eat bread,cheese,mayo or fattening salad dressing? What about soft drinks, sugar, potatoes. I bet it's quite often. Fast food is nothing but, bread, cheese,sugar and potatoes!

Ex:
Breakfast- 2 Eggs and 2 bacon(believe it or not this combo is only 2 carbs! A bagel isn't too bad but it's still bread but all carbs aren't bad. Watch out for the "low fat stuff" alot of the times it has more sugar than the regular one.

Lunch- Just try to omit bread,cheese,potatoes(doesn't leave much huh?)LOL

Dinner-Same as lunch. And definately eat about 3hrs B4 bed.

AND GET SOME TYPE OF EXCERCISE FAT BOY!!!!!!
No cheese potatoes or bread?

What DO I eat then?

I want this to be easy. Run to lunch with the fellas from work and be able to pretty much eat anywhere...
post #19 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 02:02 PM
No Cerveza... No Trabajo

Quote:

No cheese potatoes or bread?

What DO I eat then?

I want this to be easy. Run to lunch with the fellas from work and be able to pretty much eat anywhere...
You can have cheese potatoes and cheese bread, just without the cheese, potatoes or bread.

Cheese bread, damn, I love that stuff.

Some grated cheese, a loaf of French bread, cut the french bread in half, sprinkle the cheese on top with some garlic and broil in the oven. Damn, if I were only 30 again...
post #20 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 03:29 PM
Other half of bitter

Quote:
Originally posted by evil jose
Maybe I need to switch to a diet soft drink because I drink quite a few soda's at work because I need the caffine to keep me awake and I don't drink coffe.

Question, is it bad to only eat one meal a day? Most of the time I won't eat breakfast (remember I normally don't get up until 9am or 10am) and I won't eat anything until I have lunch at work around 5pm-6pm. Then I won't eat after work or when I get home. I don't eat a huge lunch but it's usually fast food.
it is better to eat a lot of small meals during the day.....if you try and starve yourself, you will just get hungry and totally chow down later! try the bagel/banana for breakfast, maybe some yogurt or fruit mid morning or slimfast drink.....then lunch can be something like chicken with rice and veggies, or turkey sandwich, even soup is good, although that doesn't fill you up as much....have a mid afternoon snack, air popped pop corn, crackers, carrots, etc. Then healthy dinner, and maybe another light snack before bed! of course the more you exercise the hungrier you will be. (of course I am the biggest junk food eater ever, as if i should be giving advice! LOL)

cutting out cokes helps a ton- crystal light has some good lemonade and stuff you can try instead? Cokes are my downfall too- i drink one or two a day most of the time, then i go for days with only water! I don't do diet drinks either and giving up coke is hard! but try drinking more water too...
post #21 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 04:28 PM
Rolling with the homies

Quote:
Originally posted by michelle95gt
it is better to eat a lot of small meals during the day.....if you try and starve yourself, you will just get hungry and totally chow down later! try the bagel/banana for breakfast, maybe some yogurt or fruit mid morning or slimfast drink.....then lunch can be something like chicken with rice and veggies, or turkey sandwich, even soup is good, although that doesn't fill you up as much....have a mid afternoon snack, air popped pop corn, crackers, carrots, etc. Then healthy dinner, and maybe another light snack before bed! of course the more you exercise the hungrier you will be. (of course I am the biggest junk food eater ever, as if i should be giving advice! LOL)

cutting out cokes helps a ton- crystal light has some good lemonade and stuff you can try instead? Cokes are my downfall too- i drink one or two a day most of the time, then i go for days with only water! I don't do diet drinks either and giving up coke is hard! but try drinking more water too...
Actually Michelle when I wake up I'm not hungry or anything and I normally don't eat unless I'm hungry. I don't chow down when I finally eat something late in the afternoon. But the thing is it's usually fast food (burger, frieds, softdrink).

I think I can cut down on drinking the cokes (except with meals ). I do drink almost exclusively water or OJ when I'm at home so that's no biggy.

One thing I've been doing is jogging/walking around the backyard in the evenings when I get home from work. The only thing is it kinda wires me up and makes it hard to go to sleep

2008 Lincoln MKZ
2002 F-150 SuperCrew

1995 Ford Taurus SHO
2003 Yamaha R6

post #22 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 07:06 PM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Originally posted by evil jose

Actually Michelle when I wake up I'm not hungry or anything and I normally don't eat unless I'm hungry. I don't chow down when I finally eat something late in the afternoon. But the thing is it's usually fast food (burger, frieds, softdrink).
You aren't hungry when you wake up because your body goes into a fasting mode while sleeping. You need to get you stomach started in the morning by eating some breakfast. Try eating a half a bagel and see how quickly after that you get hungry. Another possibility is that fast food is extremely heavy and caloric. One late afternoon/evening meal will stay with you for quite a while, as all that grease takes a long time to metabolize, and if not burned, will eventually get stored on your belly, hips, thighs, or wherever.

Anyone seriously considering losing weight should keep a food log for one week. Write down every little morsel you put into your body, liquid or solid, and denote how many calories is in it. You will be amazed at how quickly the average american get's to their 2000/day guideline, and then well beyond once everything is tallied and chewed.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #23 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 09:42 PM
Lifer

Bryan,

I have a slow metabolism, yet I eat EVERYTHING I want to, and really try not to regulate it because it gets old and annoying, and I dont have the time to be picky. I'm always eating on the run, so it's not easy to choose.

Anyways, if you exercise enough, diet isn't nearly as big of a deal as everyone makes it out to be. Now, you obviously dont want to be eating big macs for all three meals, but, you can eat just about anything and stay in decent shape if you exercise enough.

I run every other day, and play a lot of pick up basketball during the week (after work), but I do work outdoors all day, in the heat, so that's a help.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that you dont have to lose ALL of the good stuff to get in better shape, start with the SMALL stuff first...and exercise! Instead of working on the green machine in the covered garage, pull it outdoors and suck it up and sweat a little!!

Shawn
post #24 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 10:51 PM
We lost one.....

Get a job at UPS loading trucks that will take the weight off quick! I was at a 155lbs and never wore a shirt now I have a desk job and got over 210lbs in 18 months! So now I watch what I eat big time and I'm finally under 200lbs and its taken a few weeks. Good luck!

Breakfast- 1 peach/pear/apple/nutrigrain bar and a bottled water

Lunch- 6in subway club on wheat, NO Olives, cheese, with spicy mustard, or a small frozen dinner, with some fruit and lots of water. Remember if you drink ICE water you will actually burn calories as your body has to heat it up to be properly used, nice bonus!

Dinner- Bottled water, small frozen dinner , there are dozens of frozen dinners so its kinda hard to get bored with it. It really sucks sometimes because there is Sonic less than 50ft away...
post #25 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 07:24 PM
dispatching aero planes

eat a bagel in the morning, it has a lot of carbs but it will be okay, also a bagel has around 10 grams of protien and not very much sugar. Also put some lower fat peanut butter on there also instead of cream cheese. The fat in peanut butter is good for you, do this just to get started in the morning and then through out the day drink water and watch your sugar intake, and fat intake.

each gram of sugar is equal to one pack of table sugar...
makes you think huh
a coke has 39 grams of sugar...39 packages of sugar
post #26 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 10:05 AM
Hamilton Racing Ownz U

Re: I need some better eating habbits... Suggestions?

Quote:
Since Ive had a desk job Ive put on at LEAST 20#.

Its getting old. Ive got a little gut going that Id like to lose.

I eat terrible.

What is a GOOD way to eat a sensible, healthy and filling meal for lunch and dinner? And what about something small in the morning for breakfast?

I dont want anything that I have to really TRY at. I dont want to go out of my way to eat a meal... its got to be easy and readily available.
Hey Bryan... try the Atkins shit. All you do is simply cut out all Carbs for a few weeks and you should drop that weight in not time. I lost 11 #s in a week and a half, and am back to eating normal again and haven't gained an ounce... it basically kick starts your body into burning up the stored fat reserves. PM me if you have any questions about what to and not to eat... Good luck! Matt

Grey 86 GT - Rebuild pending
Orange 08 Corvette
post #27 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-05-2002, 02:02 PM
Frequent Flyer

I was getting the same way, gained 20lbs after I turned 21 (whichc was after I had been losing weight). The only thing I changed when I decided to lose the weight was I started running/walking almost everyday or at least 5 times a week. I still eat the same, which isn't exactly bad but it's not great either.

Just toss an hour walk or run into the mix about 5 days a week and you will lose weight and sleep much better at night. I've slacked off on the exercise, maybe once or twice a week now but I'm not gaining any of the 15lbs back that I've lost.
post #28 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 03:06 PM
gettin sideways

maybe i need to read this forum more often. i need to lose some weight. i used to drink 2-3 cokes a day (sometimes more ) and i cut back recently and probably only had one coke in about a month and i dont think i lost much at all if anything. i started back drinking more cokes and i need to stop again. i need to start getting more exercise too but im too lazy. maybe i should cut the bread and cheese out, ususally most things i eat has bread or cheese on it.

93 LX coupe
03 Cobra
post #29 of 29 (permalink) Old 08-06-2002, 06:04 PM
Punk Ass Bitch

Quote:
Originally posted by ShawnQ
Bryan,

I have a slow metabolism, yet I eat EVERYTHING I want to, and really try not to regulate it because it gets old and annoying, and I dont have the time to be picky. I'm always eating on the run, so it's not easy to choose.

Anyways, if you exercise enough, diet isn't nearly as big of a deal as everyone makes it out to be. Now, you obviously dont want to be eating big macs for all three meals, but, you can eat just about anything and stay in decent shape if you exercise enough.

I run every other day, and play a lot of pick up basketball during the week (after work), but I do work outdoors all day, in the heat, so that's a help.

Basically, what I'm trying to say is that you dont have to lose ALL of the good stuff to get in better shape, start with the SMALL stuff first...and exercise! Instead of working on the green machine in the covered garage, pull it outdoors and suck it up and sweat a little!!

Shawn
Shawn, you are exactly right because I have lost a ton of weight really fast before and never even thought of changing my eating habbits and drank beer by the case 3 - 4 nights a week! I simply got my fat ass out in the blazing heat and ran about a mile or so a day. It took me less than 15 - 20 mins. a day at the most to run it and lost almost 30lbs. in less than three months.

Matt, if you want to loose some weight this summer while it is still warm outside, PM me and I can give you some ideas of what you can do that will make the lbs. fall off really quick. It will take some motivation but it is well worth it to be able to notice such a difference in about a week or two and you will not beleive the difference it will make in the way you feel about yourself.

Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement