Need weight gain opinions...Playahata, others>>> - DFWstangs Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 12:00 PM Thread Starter

Need weight gain opinions...Playahata, others>>>

Well my shoulder injury has almost healed so in the next 2-3 weeks I will be able to go back full time to the gym. I have lost about 10 pounds and gotten soft. I really want to put some quality weight on, so I did some research and figured to get to 240 I need around 4,300 calories per day. Since I will be eating 6 times, for ease of discussion it is around 700 calories per meal. Now to my question. Since I can't "eat" 700 calories at every single meal, I would like to have 3 solid food meals and 3 meals made up of shakes, etc. So I need help figuring out the best meal replacement formula to use. I have seen a bunch of good ones, like Myoplex Mass, but they have so much sugar which I am trying to cut out of my diet altogether. What do you guys think? Any opinions will be greatly appreciated. For the record right now I am 6'5" and weigh about 225lbs, so I am looking to gain 15 pounds. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-01-2002, 06:53 PM
Hired Hand

Re: Need weight gain opinions...Playahata, others>>>

Quote:
Originally posted by CobraMike
Well my shoulder injury has almost healed so in the next 2-3 weeks I will be able to go back full time to the gym.
Don't rush it, start out light to make sure you aren't gonna do more damage, and that you are fully up to the tak at hand. Once you are in the clear physically, I'd recommend heavy sets of no more than eight, but not so heavy as to sacrifice good form. Every three or four weeks throw in a light week of 10-12 reps to mix things up and keep you muscles fresh. Bodies are different so pic a weight that works for you, but regardless of your rep scheme keep the intensity at the maximum, and don't sacrifice form and possibly injur yourself again just for that one last rep.

When putting mass back on, the sugar you are concerned with isn't so much an issue, as a good workout will put it all to use. Just stay away from refined sugars, starches, and sturated fats. A protien shake is essential, but I have found myoplex and similar meal replaements a good way to supplement those needed calories, without having to turn to junk, or getting bored with the mass of turkey, chicken , and tuna you would otherwise have to eat. Another good thing to take on a weight-gaining phase is creatine. I have found that it gives me that extra edge to make good use of my gym time. Just expect to get little flat while on it, as water-weight gain is part of how creatine works.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

"If it has horsepower or tits you're gonna have trouble with it eventually..."
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 08:08 AM Thread Starter

Playahata, thanks for all the advice. The workout scheme you described is what I always use when I am trying to bulk up. When I said I was going back to the gym, I didn't mean 100% immediately. It will probably be another 4-6 weeks before I am comfortable hitting the heavy weights again. I guess you make a good point about the sugar. I just want to make sure I gain good mass and just don't become a fat piece of crap!

Anyway, I will probably try a combo of the Myoplex and solid foods for the calories.

My plan on the supplement side was creatine, glutamine, some aminos, and then glucosamine (sp?) and a multivitamin. So here is another questions for you. What is the best creatine and glutamine for the money? I have taken Cell-tech before, but it is a little on the pricey side. Any suggestions?

Thanks again for the reply.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 08:49 AM
Crash Test Dummy

Hey Mike what's been up man?

No wonder I haven't seen you around the work area lately. YOU SOLD THE SNAKE?!!!!!

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do. We bought a house in February. It was a lot bigger than we had planned, and a lot more money, but a deal we couldn't pass up. So I set aside the car for the house. Also, I am driving around 65 miles day, which I did not want to put on the Cobra with the low gears and drag suspension. I plan on building a race car in the next few years, so hopefully I can hold out until then. You will probably see a silver Corolla at the track as often as I can go out there, and in the parking lot not racing. I don't want to end up being on of the rice boys running 20's at Ennis I always make fun of. So, there is your explanation. At least I have a nice house!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 09:37 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
My plan on the supplement side was creatine, glutamine, some aminos, and then glucosamine (sp?) and a multivitamin. So here is another questions for you. What is the best creatine and glutamine for the money? I have taken Cell-tech before, but it is a little on the pricey side. Any suggestions?
My favorite ways to supplement creatine are the sublingual version, Phoshagen, and Phophagain. I used to just buy the cheap caps or powder, but taking creatine with a simple sugar makes a big difference. I don't carry grapejuice around with me, so these are my preference. All three are a bit pricey, but are wothe it IMO.

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 09:42 AM Thread Starter

Alright Playahata, I think I might bug you one more time. Where do you buy your supplements? In the past I have gone to Smoothie Factory. Thanks again for all the help.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 09:49 AM
Hired Hand

Quote:
Alright Playahata, I think I might bug you one more time. Where do you buy your supplements? In the past I have gone to Smoothie Factory. Thanks again for all the help.
Right next to my gym (24 Hour Fitness on Alma and Parker) is a "Mom & Pop" fitness store owned buy a guy that works out there called Fitness Essentials. They opened about a year ago and once I found out that they are competively priced, I won't go anywhere else (can't beat the convenience either).

Raven 2006 Yamaha R6S

post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 09:53 AM Thread Starter

Yeah, I workout at that gym a lot actually. I know the place. Thanks for all the help.
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 10:01 AM
Crash Test Dummy

Maybe I'll meet you one day in the Infiniti and we can race the 4drs! I owe you a few whippings from when you used to smack my GT around.

post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 10:03 AM Thread Starter

Uh, hello, I drive a Corolla with 125hp and an extra 225lbs in the driver's seat. Not even a contest. I can piss faster than this car can run!
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 08-02-2002, 01:42 PM
Crash Test Dummy

Thumbs up

LOL!

Advertisement